🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Stardew Valley > Gameplay category

Freeman (65099) on 11/21/2023 11:55 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

A question on gameplay categories: what do we usually use for these types of farm sims? I asked about this when I was updating Deiland which describes itself as being inspired by this game & Harvest Moon, yet the former is classified under 'City building / construction simulation' while the latter uses 'Managerial / business simulation', neither of which seems quite correct.

Alaka (106123) on 11/22/2023 11:59 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

There referred to as being part of the cozy genre nowadays. Yeah, I know that doesn't answer the question but them's the facts. Basically life sims without all those meters.

Kayburt (31897) on 11/23/2023 11:00 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

That’s a very good question. To see where a farm fits we can explore what defines a farm.

In SimCity 3000, a farm is described as a light Industrial Zone, which makes sense seeing as animal farms have a small amount of natural pollution and that any produce made in a building qualifies as an industry. Because that game doesn’t focus solely on farms, it’s a City building / construction simulation.

Farms in real-life are mainly privately run businesses. Take for example the largest agricultural industry Cargill Inc. It is a corporation, it produces products, it sells for profit, which equals a business. Therefore I think that the Managerial / business simulation genres fits better. After all you are managing a farm and doing business. You let me know what you think.