🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Secret Agent > "Lost" special effect?

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 5/14/2019 2:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I first played the game (only the first part) in the early 90s, on a DOS computer. Of course, over 20 years later I have no idea about its technical parameters, besides - at that time I was a child anyway and even today I have no idea what processor speed is considered "slow" or "fast" these days.
Anyway, I remember a little special effect occuring then, which I have never been able to see again when playing this game through DOSBox on Windows computers (Windows XP, Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit). More precisely, on each level when the security radar was destroyed, the screen would flash red for a short while. If I remember well - not the whole screen, but only the "sky" parts - the whole sky in outdoor levels and the windows in indoor levels. It was a short while, but a few times I was able to pause the game in that moment, so it definitely was no illusion.
And in DOSBox it seems to be entirely missing. Having noticed nothing, I have once even slowed the game down to the point of it b...a...r...e...l...y... r...u...n...n...i...n...g... Still nothing - I have noticed no red flash. Does anyone have any idea about it - have you seen it in DOS and DOSBox, do you have any idea why it could have disappeared?

Havoc Crow (29859) on 5/14/2019 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I've just downloaded the shareware episode and played it for a bit... you're right -- there's no flash effect... even though I seem to remember that there WAS one. Mandela Effect strikes again?!

(On a completely unrelated note, I was shocked to open the downloaded game's high score list and see my sister's and my names on it... until I remembered that I had uploaded our copy of the shareware episode to Abandonia years ago... Funny how things go full circle like that!)