🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > 10 biggest gripes with the Wii and PS3

nullnullnull (1463) on 12/1/2006 2:23 AM · Permalink · Report

1UP is running two list on the 10 biggest complaints with the Wii and PS3. I don't know but the "From time to time the PS3 just wigs out and drives your car into a wall, or makes your soldier wander round in circles." sounds worse than the very short battery life of the Wii-mote and the subsequent butt load of AA batteries you are going to need to buy.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 12/1/2006 3:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Wii: Agree with all except for the last two.

The Wii is a fun system but as a new system it still has a lot of problems. I'm actually pretty pissed off about the region coding, and me and my friends have been having lots of trouble getting on the internet. The damn thing just won't connect. As well, Twilight Princess is the only outstanding game so far. Red Steel really isn't that great, and Excite Truck was fun but not a long game or especially enthralling. I'm still waiting for Brawl, Galaxy, and especially Metroid Prime 3 to come out to pass my judgment.

Doppelgamer (184) on 12/1/2006 2:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Battery life is something I've been concerned about since I heard the Wii was going to use AAA batteries instead of rechargeable lithium ion. I'll have to ask around and see what the general lifespan is among the people in my area.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 12/1/2006 3:12 PM · Permalink · Report

If batteries are gonna be involved I'm happy that Nintendo chose to go with regular AAA's. Every digital camera I've bought I've bought a model which will take regular batteries so that if I'm running out at an inopportune time I can just go down to a store and get some batteries. Normally I keep rechargable AA's in them and I'll recharge them as needed (in fact my charger is a AAA/AA charger so I'm almost ready for my Wii!.. I don't like having to plug in a charger to recharge my batteries because way too many times I've seen relatives and friends get stuck with a dead battery pack in the middle of nowhere (like say camping) whereas if they could put normal batteries in them in an emergency they'd have some vacation photos now. This way I think they've prolonged the life of the Wii. Who knows if they'd still be making a Wii paraphenalia 10 years from now. But I bet they'll be making AAA's still.

Brian Hirt (10409) on 12/1/2006 6:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I had a really hard time getting on the internet too. I ended up having to disable WPA and B on my access point to make things work properly. I used to support WPA/WPA2 and mixed B/G. Even if i manually entered the settings that should work, it wouldn't connect. So now I'm just WPA2/g. It's probably not a huge problem, but it would be nice if some older computers could connect to my AP. Luckily this should be able to be fixed via an update.

As far as the batteries, i have some rechargables that i use for things like this, so it's not a huge problem.

I agree that Zelda is pretty much the only game I've played so far that makes me say WOW! Some other games are fun, but don't have a bunch of replay value.

Doppelgamer (184) on 12/2/2006 1:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I visited my friend with the Wii, and he said that while the packaged batteries burned out quickly, he uses Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) rechargables, and so it's not a large concern.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 12/2/2006 4:39 AM · Permalink · Report

I'll have to try disabling the WPA and B. Both me and my friend have the same router and model, so I'll give him the word too.

As for battery life, Ive discovered it to be not a problem. I'm still using the pre-packaged Japanese batteries and they're working fine. What convenient is that the controllers automatically turn off to conserve battery life. I've left my wireless GC controller on over night and it completely drained my batteries. At least now we wont lose battery life when we're not even playing.

I also plan on investing in some rechargeables so that might take care of it in the long run.