🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Order of covers

Grandy02 (673) on 5/20/2010 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Is there any system behind the order of game covers? Quite often, the US one is first, but not always. Otherwise, I don't see a consistency.

vedder (70822) on 5/20/2010 5:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I think it's just by date contributed. New ones will always end up at the bottom I believe.

Grandy02 (673) on 5/20/2010 5:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I checked two games.

Trace Memory (Another Code): The American cover is at the top even though the Australian one was added more than a year earlier.

Doshin the Giant: The Italian cover was added some months earlier than the Japanese box, yet the latter is at the top.

So it doesn't seem to go by date. Why does it matter at all? Because the order decides which box you will see at the game page when there is no cover for your country. I guess this is why the American cover is almost always put at the top, to ensure that the standard cover corresponds to the American title. But in the same way, any other English release should come right after the American one. I wondered why I saw the Japanese cover when I visited the Doshin the Giant page even though the UK cover is there.

Sciere (930490) on 5/20/2010 5:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Covers are often re-ordered manually afterwards for consistency whenever an admin happens to land on the game entry:

1. US / Canada
  2. UK
  3. Germany
  4. Other European releases
  5. Australia
  6. Japan
  7. Other countries
  8. Budget releases (again following 1-7)
  9. Covermounts
  10. Promotional cover art
  11. Electronic cover art

The release date has nothing to do with it. This only applies to the cover art section. Users that set a country in their profile usually see the cover art that goes along with it in the main game entry.

Don't submit cover art corrections to get these fixed at game entries, it's just a little side project and not essential.

Grandy02 (673) on 5/21/2010 7:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay, thanks for answer. Not that the order would matter that much, but I would at least like to see a Western release's cover at the top rather than a Japanese (e.g. in case of Doshin the Giant).

Corn Popper (69027) on 6/21/2010 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

If there is no US cover than the order changes a bit, if a game is first released in Japan and not European then the Japanese gets first order.

Kabushi (261212) on 5/20/2010 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

It's by date, but admins can also reorder them manually. It's not commonly done but sometime it's useful, like when having electronic or budget releases submitted first.

Foxhack (32100) on 5/20/2010 6:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It's pretty random, I think. I didn't know admins could reorder them.