🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > ATTENTION!! Reply to GameFly-related questions!!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 12/20/2010 3:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Quoted from the Approver Board, posted by Corn Popper, with his permission:

What's in it for the founders

It was a way to actually for us to continue to run the site and work on it full time. The reality is that it is costly to run the type of site we have with just information centered only on games. The site mostly ran off of ad sales and with the current economy you just don't get as much as we were. The site made enough to run and pretty much it and like everyone else Brian and I have families to take care of and would not be able to work on it full time to grow it the way we want it to. So in the end it was a decent enough deal to be able to keep the site going and be able to work on it full time to make it better. In the deal Brian and I have become full time employees of GF... that being said we can be used for other GF projects as well, but of course our main focus remains here. As for Jim and Dave... they are no longer part of the site as far as it runs. They'll remain as historical figures in name. Jim you may see pop in on the forums but that's about it.

What's in it for the contributors

Well, for now it remains the same. All I can say is be patient with the site for now... Brian is being utilized on another project right now so that's why no major features/changes have been done. Nothing major is changing yet and when things will change... hopefully within six months but don't hold us to that. The great thing about this site is the community and what has already been accomplished it. Right now there are a lot of ideas for the site and we will be asking the community for input. Approvers may have more chances to contribute than others and to be able to test new features.

What's in it for Gamefly

I don't know exactly but we are a valuable property to have. Probably will utilize the data across its different sites.

What'll be the short and long term effects of this partnership?

Short term... more dedicated time to taking care of the site. Probably a site redesign, added features and bugs worked out. Long term, unknown at this time... but really to make the site a whole lot better.

Hope some of this helps you all out for now.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/20/2010 3:23 AM · Permalink · Report

So, nothing scary happened, except slowpoke answer and vague plans of GameFly.

Foxhack (32100) on 12/20/2010 3:38 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not really, no.

Because they're STILL not saying this. They're using a third party - you - to communicate with us, instead of posting this, directly, on the forums, as they should have from the start.

Rob. Brian. This kind of shit isn't going to fly anymore. You're not the bosses here anymore. You have to answer to someone else who signs your paychecks. And when this someone else sees that you're not running the ship the way it's supposed to be running? Well. You can imagine what's going to happen.

I'm sorry, Oleg. But I can't trust them to run this site anymore. Not with this kind of secretive attitude. Not without them addressing the people who are keeping this site alive and feeding it new content.

Your silence hurt what trust we, the users, had on your leadership. And I'm afraid that you will never be able to regain that trust.

At least I know I'll never be able to trust you guys again.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 12/20/2010 3:48 AM · Permalink · Report

They're using a third party - you - to communicate with us, instead of posting this, directly, on the forums, as they should have from the start.

Well, the reason for that, according to Rob, is that he posts things first on the Approver forum so that the approvers can have time to think about it before publishing it on the general forums.

I'm posting it here because I think it should be done, not because Rob asked me to. Actually, Vedder was the first to ask Rob's permission to post it on general forums, to calm people down.

I wholly agree that Rob should have posted this much earlier on general forums by himself.

I just figured it's still better than saying nothing, you know what I mean?

Foxhack (32100) on 12/20/2010 6:10 AM · Permalink · Report

May I quote something you said in my thread...

Frankly, I don't quite understand Brian's and Rob's attitude. I find it insulting.

I think I'm done here.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 12/20/2010 4:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, until things start happening and happening reguarly, all this amounts to is hot air. Can't really see this, on it's own at least, changing anything.

Ƒreddƴ (5833) on 12/20/2010 6:23 PM · Permalink · Report

please tell me this means joyvalley is coming back!? or is everybody going to wait another 6 months?

formercontrib (157510) on 12/20/2010 6:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ginger ninja wrote--]please tell me this means joyvalley is coming back!? or is everybody going to wait another 6 months? [/Q --end ginger ninja wrote--]

NEWS: Good or not: Depends if wanted or not.

I wasn't gone, only stopped approvals for a short while, still contributed this time.

Yesterday i "re-started" with a few approvals, today some more (primarily covers). So, yes "i'm back", Epsi.

Waiting and hoping, looking forward to see 1st results of the new "partnership" for the database. Under reserve, to decide on my own, how and how much - especially on the Dark Side i will do in the future, depending what will happen (or not)...