🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Thanks to MobyGames in new book...

Simon Carless (1834) on 8/21/2014 2:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Just wanted to note to everyone that I got a print copy of 'The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers' by John Szczepaniak today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers

...and there's a really nice credit to MobyGames in the foreword, since John used the credits on Japanese games stored here to do a lot of his research/checking - and also used screenshots and covers from Moby (with our permission) in the book.

It's thanks to all of you that the kind of data exists that allows people to do this type of research, so thanks to ALL of you :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/21/2014 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I backed this and was also in contact with John a bit during the Kickstarter, and my (Platinum edition!) copy of the book showed up a couple weeks ago. He seriously had a hell of a time getting this book to print, but the end result was certainly worth it. There's several seriously great interviews in there (Toru Hidaka, ZUN, Ryukishi07, dB-SOFT) -- to be fair, along with a few weaker ones (Roy Ozaki, Keiji Inafune) -- but altogether it's got a lot of fascinating info for anyone interested in early and obscure Japanese game history. Tons of fascinating information on the origins of Game Arts, too. :)

Indra was here (20755) on 8/22/2014 4:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I hope he credited you or whomever contributed those credits.

Simon Carless (1834) on 8/22/2014 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

There's a very fulsome 'thanks to MobyGames' paragraph as the very first thank you in the book's preface, so I'm not sure he goes all the way to thanking individual contributors, but it's very prominent, Indra.

Rik Hideto (473489) on 8/22/2014 4:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

When we submit credits to this site using a video shared by someone else, we don't thank them, right? We don't even bother "liking" the video. :)

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/22/2014 6:11 PM · Permalink · Report

No, and that's sad.

Mind you, in some cases, we certainly don't want our sources to be found out.

Rik Hideto (473489) on 8/23/2014 2:23 AM · Permalink · Report

The more "sad" is that sometimes I don't even open the video (giving them one more view). I simply download it.