🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Can someone just give me 1 point? :)

D Michael (222) on 2/25/2007 10:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I did a review of a game and got a 5/5. I then updated the review and didn't omit anything, just added information about the game in question in regards to the most recent patch that has been released for it. It got returned to a 4/5. This seems to discourage folks from updating reviews because of the chance that their score will be lowered for doing so. I know we want to encourage content submission, so maybe this should be fixed. Oh, and I'd like to have my 1 point back :)

Maw (832) on 2/25/2007 10:40 PM · Permalink · Report

It was by a different approver wasn't it?

D Michael (222) on 2/25/2007 10:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

yes it was, but so what?

Maw (832) on 2/25/2007 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Just curious...

D Michael (222) on 2/25/2007 10:53 PM · Permalink · Report

The approver mentioned that they couldn't see the previous score (which seems odd because I could see the previous score) but I understand their position being that scoring a review is subjective. The real problem here is that an entirely new review must be submitted (even if it's just copied an pasted) rather than an editing function which would be simpler, yet still subject to approval.

Here's the loophole; highly rated reviews won't be updated for fear of losing points. Lousy reviews could be rewritten over and over until a desirable rating is achieved. I think this should be fixed, because this current problem only hurts MG submissions in the long run.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/26/2007 2:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

LOL :) This happened to me so many times that I stopped paying attention to it. My only advice would be to keep submitting the review until you get full 5 points. Much like re-trying to generate characters in Wizardry, to get all the 19 bonus points ;-)

No, seriously, I think there must be a way for the approver to see how many points a review got. Then, if a user is revising his own review, the approver shouldn't be able to give him less points than before. Because it's impossible that a revised review will be lower in quality than the first version.

D Michael (222) on 2/26/2007 2:45 AM · Permalink · Report

I like the Wizardry reference, that made my day :P

nullnullnull (1463) on 2/26/2007 4:29 AM · Permalink · Report

It's subjective, obviously. For some approvers a 4 is a 5 if you know what I mean. For me for instance I only give out 5/5 for something that really blows me away. A 4/5 is really an awesome review. I remember when reviews were just 3 points so I am bit stuck on the old scale. For other approvers a 5/5 is just a really really good review.

D Michael (222) on 2/26/2007 3:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Understood, I just won't be updating high scoring reviews anymore.

Riamus (8480) on 2/26/2007 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree with you about what deserves a 5/5, though I avoid approving reviews because I don't like to try and rate them. Still, I also think that we should not be able to change the score to lower than the original without at least a warning message.

Maw (832) on 2/26/2007 11:16 PM · Permalink · Report

"Lousy reviews could be rewritten over and over until a desirable rating is achieved."

But that's a good thing. We want people to improve reviews by rewriting them.

D Michael (222) on 2/27/2007 12:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ok then, just resubmitted over and over. You know exactly what I'm getting at. Man I hate having to spell things out for people, dot every i, cross every t, and then ask if it's ok.

It's nothing short of retarded for a game website that bases itself upon user submissions to have policies that discourage submissions, and then have people here actually defending those policies.

D Michael (222) on 2/27/2007 12:30 AM · Permalink · Report

What doesn't add up is that it goes to the approver as a brand new review, all the while as a user I can see the complete history.