🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Video problem

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/29/2010 6:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Imagine this situation: I'm playing a game, everything works perfectly, graphics, sounds, etc., etc; however, the few movies (including the intro) are terribly jerky and have awful stuttering sound, making them impossible to watch.

Those movies are .WMV files saved in the "Video" folder. When I tried to run them using the default player, it resulted in the same thing: jerky and stuttering. However, when I opened them with Windows Media Player, everything worked perfectly...

But every time I run the game, it's the same thing... changing any in-game configuration brings nothing; I tried everything...

I'm suspecting the solution is very simple, maybe some Codec or something, but I don't udnerstand in that, so any help is greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

P.S: I think only the game in question ("Pathologic") has this problem; other movies are playing OK, even in the default player.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 5/29/2010 8:29 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm suspecting the solution is very simple, maybe some Codec or something, but I don't udnerstand in that, so any help is greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

I couldn't say for sure, but the usual solution I've seen when games do this sort of thing is to install updated codecs. Without knowing what codec is in use, I can't suggest where to go for sure, but one good bet would be ffdshow.

Good luck.

lilalurl (733) on 5/29/2010 10:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I had a similar experience with Samurai Warriors 2 (Koei game).

I remember that on the Koei forums other people complained about similar things and also some in-game frame skip issues (even after applying the patch that was released after). Apparently the threads have been cleaned up during the Tecmo-Koei fusion though, so I can't point you to the discussions.

From what I read and my experience (the game and the videos played better on a less powerful laptop than my desktop computer!) I had come to the tentative conclusion that this was very likely to be a chipset/driver issue with some ATI cards (ATI card in my desktop and ATI card too in the laptop).

The funny thing was, for me and the other people who had the issue, that some other Koei games (Warriors Orochi and Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper) built on more or less the same engine did not show such an issue. So it was probably some changes introduced in the engine that created the issue.

If you guys find a solution I will re-install the game to see if it applies for this game too.

vedder (70822) on 5/29/2010 10:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

In another thread you said you installed the k-lite codec pack. I can suggest uninstalling that. There's a lot of different codecs in there that will just not work together. I had the same problem when I used k-lite yeaaars ago.

Probably the game comes with a codec, or uses something that comes default with windows, but k-lite overwrites priorities to something else, which might not work. If the game came with a codec it could be that k-lite overwrote that, so you might have to reinstal the game as well if the problem persists.

By the way, if you use the freeware VLC-player as your standard movie player you won't ever need to install any codec. It can interpret anything. Any format, any encoding, even iso-files or unpacked dvd file structures. That way nothing can go wrong.

xroox (3895) on 5/29/2010 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I had trouble with Pathologic's videos - but there aren't many of them: just the intro, endings and then one optional scene each day. Mine were glitchy, but I was able to exit the game and watch them perfectly in Windows Media Player.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/29/2010 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

You had those troubles too? And you couldn't find a way to fix them in-game?..

I could watch them in WMP too, but it's not the same at all... is there really no way to play them normally in-game?..

The funny thing is that my older computer (which I don't have any more) could run those videos in the game perfectly, I can't understand what was different there!..

xroox (3895) on 5/29/2010 5:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, my older system was fine with them, too... I don't know what the problem is.

To me, though, it doesn't seem like a big deal. It's not like these videos are popping up every few minutes.