Forums > Game Talk > Unique content in demo versions

MrFlibble (18361) on 9/20/2012 12:33 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]If any of these demos have exclusive content (not included in the full release), it would be worth a new entry here [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]
Continuing from the CD-exclusive demo releases thread, I've actually been collecting those for quite some time (only for PC though, no consoles).

Extra episodes, campaigns and level sets:

Age of Empires Trial Version
The trial version has two campaigns, a five-mission Reign of the Hittites campaign that is comparable to the Ascent of Egypt Learning Campaign from the retail version (albeit much shorter), and the Armies at War, A Combat Showcase scenario that shows off full scale battles featuring various units.

NOTE: Since the Trial Version is based off of a late beta build, some beta features are still present in it (read more here).

Download: MSAoE.exe

Age of Empires CGW Demo
A different demo of Age of Empires was exclusively released by the Computer Gaming World magazine. The demo features an Egyptian campaign that is different from the Ascent of Egypt campaign in the full version, and is five missions long. Read more about it here.

Download: link

Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome Trial Version
Just like the original game’s trial release, the expansion trial version features a unique three-mission campaign set during the First Punic War.

Download: MSAoEX.exe

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun Demo
Unlike the previous C&C titles, Westwood actually put original content in the TS demo. There are two GDI missions, "Initiation" and "Clean Sweep", that are not found in the full version of the game.

NOTE: In the second demo mission, a huge blue Tiberium crystal can be seen. These were not used until the Firestorm expansion pack, where blue Tiberium crystals spawn blue Tiberium.

Download: TS_DEMO.EXE

Cybermage: Darklight Awakening Demo
A "chapter" was specifically made for the demo. It shows most of the aspects of the game but reveals none of the storyline.

Fallout Demo
The entire small episode in the demo had been created specifically for it and is missing from the full game.

Download: falldemo.zip

Gunman Chronicles Demo
The demo includes a small episode that is not part of the full game, as well as the regular tutorial levels.

Download: gunmandemo.exe

Half-Life: Uplink
The public demo, titled Half-Life: Uplink recycles scrapped levels that were not included in the full game.

Download: hluplink.exe

I of the Enemy: Ril'Cerat
The four-mission stand-alone prequel to the indie real-time strategy game, I of the Enemy, comes alongside another demo that includes a few missions forom the full game.

Download I of the Enemy: Ril'Cerat from Brothersoft Games

Download I of the Enemy: Ril'Cerat from FileForum
Download I of the Enemy demo from Softpedia

Download I of the Enemy demo from FilePlanet

Download I of the Enemy non-interactive tutorials add-on from FilePlanet (can be used both in the demo and the Ril'Cerat episode)

Pharaoh Demo
The scenarios in the demo version of Sierra's city-building game had been specifically created for demonstration purposes.

Download: pharaohdemo.exe

Rise of the Triad: The H.U.N.T. Begins
The shareware episode of Rise of the Triad: Dark War serves as a prequel to the full game. It has 7 regular levels, 1 secret level and 2 levels accessible only via cheat codes ("warp" levels).

NOTE: The shareware episode was included in the CD version of the full game, as well as in the "Triad PowerPack" disk add-on, but otherwise the shareware levels are not part of the full game.

Download: 1rott13.zip

Rise of the Triad: The H.U.N.T. Begins Special Edition (a.k.a. Deluxe Edition)
To quote Joe Siegler:

"There is an extra version called Rise of the Triad: The HUNT Begins SPECIAL EDITION. This is marketed in retail by LaserSoft. It is the same as the regular shareware episode, except is has 3 extra levels, and 3 extra COMM-BAT Levels that are not available on ANY other version. Apogee does not distribute this version, it is only available in stores from LaserSoft."

The Deluxe Edition was later discontinued, and the extra levels were released for free (requires full version to use).

Download: lasrrott.zip

Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier
The special CD demo release has an alternate storyline which is not directly related to the full game, and is complete with voice acting from the original game crew.

Starcraft Shareware (CD version)
Blizzard shipped a unique prequel Terran campaign called Loomings with the shareware version of Starcraft. The story of Zerg invasion of the Terran colony of Chau Sara is told across five missions, plus a tutorial level. The campaign had been also released as an add-on for the full game under the title Precursor.

Starcraft Shareware CD: link

Precursor campaign add-on: link

Starcraft Shareware (Download)
The Loomings campaign had been cut down to three missions in the downloadable version of Starcraft shareware, presumably to reduce the size of the download.

NOTE: The number of unit quotes (speech files) had been halved for each unit, also because of file size concerns.

Download: SCDemo.exe

WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness Shareware (Download)
The demo version has two three-mission campaigns, one for each side. The missions are comparable with missions 1,3 and 4 from the full version, but the maps, briefing texts and mission titles are different.

NOTE: The shareware also shows an earlier version of the title screen, with orange background. There's a preview slideshow option showing many of the new units, structures, in-game screen shots and cinematic stills from the full game. The Footman, Grunt and Peasant units have "pissed" quotes (i.e. what they say in response to repeated clicking) that are different from the retail version (e.g. the Grunt will say "You buy retail version pleeease?", "You buy retail version or I sing!"). It is interesting to note that the briefing and mission objective text for the demo missions is found in the full game's files, but are not used there.

WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness Shareware (CD)
The CD release has the same levels as the electronic download version, but it also includes the fully animated intro sequence, briefing voice-overs, CD Audio music and non-interactive previews of Blizzard's other games.

NOTE: The CD version number is v1.08sh, while the downloadable versions are v1.02elc and v1.20elc.

Download: link (files only)

WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos Demo
The demo features the Exodus of the Horde Orc campaign, part of which takes place during the Alliance campaign of the full game. The plot of the demo campaign is somewhat important story-wise in that it tells how Thrall befriended the Jungle Trolls that later joined the new Horde.

NOTE: Only the first two tutorial levels of the demo campaign are present in the retail version, but the remaining three were released (although with some minor differences) as a bonus mini-campaign accompanying the add-on, WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne.

Download: Warcraft3_Demo.zip

Extra levels:

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings Trial Version
While the tutorial campaign included in the trial version is the same as in the full version, there's an extra Trial Coastal Map skirmish scenario, and its multiplayer version.

NOTE: The file format for maps used in the trial version is different from the one used in the full version (info).

Download: AoE2Demo.exe

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings CGW Demo
This release has two different maps, Trial Baltic Map and Trial Team Islands Multiplayer Map.

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion
The single demo level is not present in the full game.

Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmachist
The demo has a unique level absent from the full game.

Halloween Harry in Zombie Wars
The single demo level is missing from the full game.

NOTE: This is also a very early build of the game.

Download: zwars_demo_setup.zip

Knights and Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom
The demo contains one town and one battle tutorial, both of which are different from the tutorial missions in the full game.

Download: demoe121.zip

The Settlers II: Veni, Vidi, Vici Demo
The single scenario included in the demo bears the same title as the first mission in the full version's campaign but is actually different. The tutorial scenario, on the other hand, is the same as in the full version.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast Demo
The demo of the game features a unique level that was first shown at E3 in 2001.

Download: JK2Demo.exe

Star Wars: TIE Fighter Demo
The demo has one mission not found in the full game.

NOTE: The demo is based on a pre-release build of the game, and features noticeable differences, including the cockpit design.

Download: Tiedem1.zip, Tiedem2.zip

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
There are two demo versions of the game, both of which feature a total of four unique levels not found in the full release of the game.

War Wind Demo v1.2
The demo includes two Tha'Roon missions that are not part of the full version's Tha'Roon campaign.

Download: wwd12.exe

Misc extras:

Dune Demo
The non-interactive demo shows a different image of Paul Atreides. In the final release, his appearance was changed to look more like Kyle MacLachlan, who played Paul in David Lynch's film.

Shadow Warrior Shareware
The shareware episode has support for MIDI music, while the full version only uses CD music and does not have any MIDI tracks.

Download: 3dsw12.zip

MichaelPalin (1414) on 9/20/2012 8:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Thief: The Dark Project

The demo contains a mission, called Bafford's Manor, that is not on the full game.

Download: Link

MrFlibble (18361) on 9/23/2012 1:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Another somewhat related issue are unique levels in "attract mode" demo records. Sometimes games not only have built-in "attract mode" that shows the gameplay, but in this mode special levels are used that can't be accessed by the player during normal play.

Duke Nukem
The attract mode demo also serves as a preview of the registered episodes in the shareware version, and as such the level that is used combines elements from all three episodes. With some tricks the level can be played too.

Horde: The Northern Wind
A demo in the full version that shows basic game play (and also acts as a tutorial of sorts) takes place on a map that the player can't get to unless some messing with the files is done. The same map is also used in the playable demo of Horde.

Jill of the Jungle
The non-interactive preview built in the shareware version uses a combination of levels that show elements of registered episodes.

Prince of Persia
There's a very short self-running demo that shows game play in a unique dungeon level.

Xargon
As with many other shareware games, the demo preview contains scenes from all three episodes.

Rola (8482) on 9/23/2012 1:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks! Most of the info above qualifies as valid trivia for respective games (not sure about file links though), in some cases even a separate game entry could be created - with (Demo Version) suffixed to the title, like here.

MrFlibble (18361) on 9/24/2012 12:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]in some cases even a separate game entry could be created - with (Demo Version) suffixed to the title, like here. [/Q --end Rola wrote--] Thanks for the info! BTW, I've noticed that there are separate entries of Rise of the Triad: Dark War and Rise of the Triad: The Hunt Begins (Deluxe Edition), but not for the regular version of Rise of the Triad: The HUNT Begins, which is different from both. Does it warrant an entry of its own?

Jason Storm in Space Chase Shareware Demo
According to the supplied documentation, the demo "includes one unique level, demonstrating the incredible features of Safari's upcoming SPACE CHASE series".

Download: STORM0.ZIP

A shareware episode of Jason Storm is also available, with different levels.

Version 2.00d: STORM1.ZIP

Version 2.02d: STORM1A.ZIP

Rola (8482) on 9/25/2012 1:10 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--] I've noticed that there are separate entries of Rise of the Triad: Dark War and Rise of the Triad: The Hunt Begins (Deluxe Edition), but not for the regular version of Rise of the Triad: The HUNT Begins, which is different from both. Does it warrant an entry of its own? [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--] In this case - as you described it above - where the full (registered) version does not include shareware version levels (it's another thing the shareware version is on the CD) surely it deserves a separate entry.

Rola (8482) on 9/27/2012 2:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MichaelPalin wrote--]Thief: The Dark Project The demo contains a mission, called Bafford's Manor, that is not on the full game.

[/Q --end MichaelPalin wrote--]And your source is...?

I loved Thief, so I downloaded this demo (I didn't want to miss anything). Even the name sounded familiar. Looks like it has tutorial level and first mission. I haven't played it through, but from the map, objectives and first steps I took looks like it's the first mission from the regular game.

Patrick Bregger (303232) on 9/27/2012 3:14 PM · Permalink · Report

He probably confused it with the Thief II demo, which is Life of a Party with a few bigger differences.

leilei (343) on 9/25/2012 1:08 AM · Permalink · Report

The Gore Ultimate Soldier TEST version from 2001 had a lot of early and unpolished artwork.

MrFlibble (18361) on 10/13/2012 2:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Non-finalized public demo versions are indeed of great interest, would be generally nice to have a list of those (in some cases a beta is the only demonstration version available).

I wonder what to do with demo versions that have both pre-release and otherwise unique exclusive content. For example, the first test version of Serious Sam has different enemy models and textures, and the whole level itself, just as in the regular demo version, is rather different from its namesake in the full release of the game.

Klaster_1 (57610) on 10/13/2012 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

What about non-released games with demo, like GorkaMorka? We doesn't have it listed, by the way.

Rola (8482) on 10/13/2012 10:06 PM · Permalink · Report

If you mean a playable demo (as opposed to "Into the Shadows" :D) of a cancelled game (not "yet unreleased"), I'd say we list it.

Rola (8482) on 10/13/2012 9:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd say trivia entry will suffice. If a demo is released before the game is completed, it has to have minor/major differences. We'd clutter the database.

I'd only include those demos which feature unique set of missions/levels - which aren't just unfinished/trimmed/altered versions of those found in the final game.

MrFlibble (18361) on 10/14/2012 1:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]I'd only include those demos which feature unique set of missions/levels - which aren't just unfinished/trimmed/altered versions of those found in the final game. [/Q --end Rola wrote--] That's what I thought :)

Oh, by the way: as indicated above, Age of Empires actually has got two separate demo versions, both of which are publicly available now. They not only have different campaigns but are also based on different builds of the game (with the CGW demo being the earliest build available to public). They certainly should be catalogued separately, and in this respect I wonder if it would be appropriate to tag the public Hittite demo as a "Trial Version" (as most if not all demo versions published by Microsoft Games are called) and the CGW one a"Demo Version" (as it is indeed called)? Or would it be better to call them a "Demo Version" and an "Exclusive Demo Version" (or something along that line) respectively?

BTW, technically, "trial version" and "demo version" are synonyms, at least when Microsoft Games products are concerned.