🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Free to Play, a good idea or not?

Asinine (957) on 6/26/2011 11:21 AM · Permalink · Report

The latest patch made Team Fortress 2 a free to play game, meaning that people can download it for free from the Steam Store. At first this seemed like a brilliant idea to me, but apparently a lot of people disagree with me and say that this move will kill the game. I have to say that the hat I received because I bought the game while it still had a price tag was quite a cheap compensation, but I am not really sure if this means the end for TF2. What do you lads/lasses think?

vedder (70822) on 6/26/2011 11:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Only time will tell, but the biggest fear die-hard TF2 players have is that now the game will see an influx of infantile 12-year olds, just like every other free to play game. And that can totally ruin the atmosphere of the online community for the established fans.

Asinine (957) on 6/26/2011 12:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree that we'll have to wait and see. I also heard the argument that all hackers would have to do is create a new Steam account to continue their practices, but I never quite thought the community in TF2 was really that good to begin with.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/2/2011 1:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Of course, it's a good idea. I wouldn't even dream of paying money to a multiplayer only game. And this excites me to no end. I might even buy some headware. ))

And, I don't really care if my clueless noobiness will ruin the game for some. You can host your own password protected games if you want, so how can influx of freeplayers be a problem?