🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Archimedean Dynasty > Can you play this without a joystick?

Lumpi (189) on 6/14/2009 6:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Can you?

I want to try this game quite badly, but not bad enough to buy a joystick just for that. Anyone has any experience with playing this with mouse+keyboard (and on WinXP for that matter)?

St. Martyne (3648) on 6/14/2009 7:14 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey, this looks like an awesome game! Why haven't I heard of it before?

As for joystick, that depends. Personally, I have no problem playing all Wing Commanders, X-Wings, Privateers and even simulations games like IL2 with a keyboard. But some people can't stand it.

As for XP, this is a DOS game, right? So, nothing a DOSBox or VDMSound can't handle.

EDIT: A precursor to AquaNOX, eh? That explains it. Need it, now.

Lumpi (189) on 6/14/2009 7:33 PM · Permalink · Report

If you're wondering about the quality of the game, I can assure you, it's excellent.

I played this ages ago (with a joystick then :D ) and although my memories are a little hazy, I can remember how deeply this game sucked me in, atmospherically.

Sicarius (61518) on 6/15/2009 7:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I had to think for a second which game this is - the English name is just plain stupid :). "Schleichfahrt" sounds so much better. But anyway to answer your question:

Yes, you can technically play the game through without a joystick. I wouldn't recommend it but than again I always had one so I'm kind of spoiled in these things ;). Still I would recommend buying one and then also getting AquaNox 1 & 2, the in-official successors to Schleichfahrt. That's three great games alone that you could use it for and isn't that worth the investment of 30€ / $30 (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - the one without Force Feedback)?

In terms of playability under XP I recommend using DosBox. There is a way without it but believe me it's a pain in the ass...

Lumpi (189) on 6/17/2009 10:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Alright, thanks.

Turns out, keyboard works fine. I mean there are plenty of 3D games we steered with a D-pad, right? RIGHT? Well, don't let it hold you back from getting the game anyway, it's as great as I remembered.