🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > System Shock > Finally completed

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/16/2008 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Finally finished it. May all the buddhas and bodhisattvas forgive me for doing this 14 years after the release of this magnificence.

Is it me, or is the ending too short and abrupt? I expected a final conversation with Shodan, but she didn't say a word... I destroyed her, short ending, that's it... did I miss something before, is there a way to get a more satisfying ending?

Also, does anyone understand the difficulty level for "plot/mission"? I played it on the highest; what is changed when it is set lower?

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/16/2008 3:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't you written a review for it like months ago?

xroox (3895) on 8/16/2008 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

The ending is a bit disappointing, isn't it? Actually, I like the final movie (with its sneaky reference to Terra Nova) but the final battle is a huge letdown.

Awesome game, though. Glad you finally completed it ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/16/2008 4:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't you written a review for it like months ago?

I have. Sometimes I review games before completing them.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/16/2008 8:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--] I have. Sometimes I review games before completing them. [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

So, what took you so long? I believe I have completed SS in a week. And you do commend on the game's user-friendliness.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/17/2008 9:51 AM · Permalink · Report

So, what took you so long? I believe I have completed SS in a week.

I made a big break, played other games. I only returned to SS two weeks ago or so.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 8/16/2008 9:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Putting plot/mission to hardest gives you a time limit of 7 hours to complete the entire game. You don't have that time limit at the lesser mission difficulties.

I think lowering it also reduces the steps you have to take to complete the plot tasks. Like a door here won't need an access card, or a panel there won't need to be re-wired. But it's been a while, and I might be confusing that effect with the puzzle slider.

worldwideweird (29) on 8/17/2008 5:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I played it recently and I think you're right on the money. And yep, the ending is rather short - but I still think it's cooler than System Shock 2's "Nah..."

Also, the cyberspace battle against Shodan...I tried that about twenty times and failed. Grudgingly, I tried it again and succeeded - without doing anything different! Is there really a certain strategy to win that horrible, horrible fight?

(I have to admit though that I was a real sucker in all of those damn cyberspace sequences.)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/18/2008 5:48 AM · Permalink · Report

(I have to admit though that I was a real sucker in all of those damn cyberspace sequences.)

I set cyberpunk to 0... sorry, I just couldn't do anything in it otherwise. So the final battle against Shodan was... well... not very hard :)

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 8/19/2008 12:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Nice game. It is a shame that System Shock 3 was never created. The ending to SS2 left the door open for another sequel.

SS1 was excellent, but the only way I could beat the game is to repeatedly kill the monsters so that I could get the health pills.

xroox (3895) on 8/19/2008 12:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, SS3 may happen yet. Ken Levine said he would be interested if the opportunity presented itself. And there's always BioShock...

vedder (70822) on 8/19/2008 3:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Meh Bioshock was to SS2 what Invisible War was to Deus Ex. Definitely not a bad game on itself, but disappointing when compared to its predecessor.

As for SS3, I doubt that will happen, since as far as I know Ken Levine doesn't hold most of the copyrights for it. EA does. And well, I want to see some of their games after their so-called reform before I'd trust them with giving them a shot at a new Shock title.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/19/2008 4:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Meh Bioshock was to SS2 what Invisible War was to Deus Ex.

How's that? Invisible War was a direct continuation of the story of Deus Ex, same setting, same themes, same style. Bioshock is set in an absolutely original world and has nothing to do with System Shock games stylistically. It's not supposed to be a System Shock game, it just borrows some gameplay elements from them.

I need to stress again that my love to Bioshock only became stronger once I finished SS and SS2. Bioshock refines the unique story-telling technique of SS to perfection.

xroox (3895) on 8/19/2008 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Jazzoleg wrote--]Meh Bioshock was to SS2 what Invisible War was to Deus Ex.

How's that? Invisible War was a direct continuation of the story of Deus Ex, same setting, same themes, same style. Bioshock is set in an absolutely original world and has nothing to do with System Shock games stylistically. It's not supposed to be a System Shock game, it just borrows some gameplay elements from them.[/Q --end Jazzoleg wrote--] I think he means that Invisible War was a dim shadow of Deus Ex's glory - and BioShock is a dim shadow of SShock's glory. I know BioShock is set in an entirely different world to SShock, but it definitely has something of the same feeling. Of course, I've already given my opinion on the whole thing.

[Q --start Jazzoleg wrote--]Bioshock refines the unique story-telling technique of SS to perfection. [/Q --end Jazzoleg wrote--] I disagree :) Though I think BioShock's problem is more to do with the gameplay than the narrative.

vedder (70822) on 8/20/2008 11:00 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Jazzoleg wrote--]Bioshock is set in an absolutely original world and has nothing to do with System Shock games stylistically.[/Q --end Jazzoleg wrote--]

Yes I know, but in previews and featured articles it was continuously hyped as the spiritual successor of System Shock 2. While they played nothing alike. Now that I'm finally playing SS1, I see much more gameplay resemblence with that title. But frankly I liked the gameplay of SS2 much better, mainly because it has more RPG elements, whereas bioshock is an action game with a customizable set of powers. But like I said it's still a good game, but it is outshined by its 'classic' spiritual predecessor. (But yeah, not like anyone would've really expected otherwise beforehand)

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/20/2008 12:55 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--] whereas bioshock is an action game with a customizable set of powers. [/Q --end stvedder wrote--]

And a great one at that. I personally also prefer the gameplay of SS2 to that one of BioShock, but that's mainly because RPGs occupy the first spot on my favorite genres list. However, I am a big fan of Action genre as well, and BioShock easily outshines SS2 in terms of thrills and colorful explosions. And the tools the developers provide are interesting and it never gets dull to experiment with the new ways of splicer-genocide. SS2 was never that fun in terms of sheer action with its horrible animations and unresponsive gun-flinging controls.

Of course, it goes completely against whatever the game's subject matter and idea is working towards. But that's another story.

So, yeah, I would agree with Oleg. The relation between SS2 and BioShock is not anything like that one between Dues Ex and Invisible War. In case of the latter it's simply the old game divided by two, while the former presents something like a trade-off. Compelling narrative, style and furious action for deep role playing system, excellent sci-fi horror and great sound.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/21/2008 3:07 AM · Permalink · Report

but in previews and featured articles it was continuously hyped as the spiritual successor of System Shock 2.

What would you think of Bioshock if it were hyped as the spiritual successor of Doom? :)

vedder (70822) on 8/21/2008 11:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I would say they are crazy! I might not have bought it, or at least not on lauch day and not the special edition boxset ¬.¬ I'd like to think that my ultimate verdict of the game would remain the same. And I would still draw the parallells with System Shock myself, and whine about how SS2 was better, eventhough Bioshock is a very good game and there are much more disappointing games to whine at ;)

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/23/2008 1:09 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sam Jeffreys wrote--]Well, SS3 may happen yet. Ken Levine said he would be interested if the opportunity presented itself. And there's always BioShock... [/Q --end Sam Jeffreys wrote--]

And there's also Project RedLime, a mysterious game developed by Starbreeze studios of Butcher's Bay fame. It was revealed that it would resurrect one of the classic acclaimed EA franchises.

It might be SS3, given that EA doesn't have that many classic FPS games in its closet. However, the rumor is that it may as well be a new Crusader game! Now that will definitely be a title to wait for!

xroox (3895) on 8/23/2008 4:21 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm playing Riddick at the moment! I would definitely trust Starbreeze with a new SShock game.

Terok Nor (42013) on 8/23/2008 11:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I doubt that RedLime is SS3 since EA has Dead Space coming, which sort of covers the same ground.

Personally, I'm hoping that it's a new Syndicate. I really would like to see GTA-style gameplay in the Syndicate setting. Crusader would be cool, too, but I doubt that it's a big enough brand.

xroox (3895) on 8/24/2008 12:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I would love to see a new Syndicate game, but I always wonder whether the concept would get the greenlight nowadays... as you're basically controlling a bunch of terrorists.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/24/2008 2:38 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sam Jeffreys wrote--]as you're basically controlling a bunch of terrorists. [/Q --end Sam Jeffreys wrote--]

Interesting point! I never though of that.

Anyways, I doubt that EA would consider Starbreeze as a possible developer for a new Syndicate game. These guys are firmly rooted in action genre.

However, as they say, you never know. Hey, maybe it's Magic Carpet! So, either of these possibilities is an opportunity for a fantastic game. I'm definitely looking forward to it... eh.. whatever "it" is. ;-)

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/18/2008 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--] Personally, I'm hoping that it's a new Syndicate. [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--]

You don't say!

Zovni (10504) on 8/19/2008 6:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Told you so.