🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > The Terminator > Game Mechanics

Tom Mitchell on 6/17/2009 10:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi Guys,

The Terminator is a game that was well ahead of it's time and had some really cool and innvovative ideas. Unfortunately, it probably tried to do a little too much for the time (sound like Bethesda anyone? :-) ).

I think this game just begs for a remake, today it would be much easier to make a more playable version, given what we now know about what works and doesn't in a first person 3D interface.

To make this easier for anyone who decides to take on the challenge, why don't we collect all the information about the things that can be done in this game? There are supposed to be uses for a lot of the items that you can buy from the shops, by pressing F10 then S you should be able to combine these somehow, but I can never get it to work. Do you need to be in a specfic place, which items do you need? It's kind of like a walkthrough...

Information like this will help a potential developer to figure out what Bethesda was trying to do with this game. Since, let's face it, the game is pretty unplayable by todays standards, it will save a lot of research effort if we all chip in whatever we know.

Tom Mitchell on 6/17/2009 10:28 AM · Permalink · Report

To get the ball rolling, here is what I remember/have figured out again in a few hours of replaying Terminator.

WARNING: This information could be considered spoilers...

• If you are Reese, there is some money that is in the bank you can withdraw, without needing to rob it (I wonder how this was arranged by the Resistance...?)

• You can usually get away with stealing 2 items from the shops, the third item will bring the police down on you

• Don't forget you can attempt to steal from the cash registers if you need cash. Gun stores seem to have the most money

• You can buy dog food from the Drug Store and use it outside (F10 then S). A dog will run up to you. If you're the Terminator, it will run away. If you're Reese it will hang out with you and help you (supposedly anyway, I can't see anything on screen).

• There is a military base somewhere on the map (one of the corners I think), where you can get heavy weaponry

• The first time you get caught stealing, you seem to get only one cop. Then two the second time, etc. Eventually you get green guys (army I guess) attacking you. Robbing a bank brings the cops down on you pretty bad straight away. The Terminator can fight his way out, I'm not sure whether Reese could.

• The manual mentions that at times you may be walking around and see things on the ground and you can press L to look at them. This has never happened to me, can anyone provide details?

• How are you meant to find Sarah?!?

St. Martyne (3648) on 6/17/2009 11:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Tom Mitchell wrote--] To make this easier for anyone who decides to take on the challenge, why don't we collect all the information about the things that can be done in this game? [/Q --end Tom Mitchell wrote--]

And do you know what is the greatest thing? It's that MG actually has a dedicated area associated with each game for this information to go to.

Here's the direct link.

And don't you forget to write a review based on your experiences with the game.