🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Earthworm Jim 2 > Confusing

vedder (70822) on 2/22/2009 2:57 AM · Permalink · Report

I think there are some things incorrectly listed with this game series...

1)

It struck me as odd that EWJ1 was listed as a Windows game, while EWJ2 was a DOS game. The cover of EWJ1 indeed proves it to be a Win game, but all the DOS covers from EWJ2 are actually from Whole Can of Worms compilation, making me wonder if it was even released separately for DOS.

The Whole Can of Worms is listed as a DOS game but is advertised on the box as "Also for windows 95". I torrented a version and it had executables both for DOS and for Windows (making use of modified DosBox). I didn't think DosBox was that old (1996), so maybe that was added later for the torrent, making it a DOS compilation (as which it is listed). This means that the DOS game either just didn't have any trouble running in Win95, or that it previously had Win95 executables which were replaced for the torrent in favor of the DosBox versions. (the torrent also includes the original unmodified DOS executables)

My guess is that EWJ2 was only released (for DOS) within said compilation. So EWJ2 should have DOS removed as one of its platforms.

2)

I also downloaded a torrent containing just EWJ1 as a CD-image. It has multiple executables, both for Windows and DOS and a(n authentic looking) readme.txt that clearly states that the game can run in both OSes but through the use of the different executables and setup-files. So this makes it look more like EWJ1 was for both Win and DOS and thus should be listed for both (similar as how Win/Mac games get listed for both platforms)