🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Area-51 > Multiplayer on the discontinued free release

Joel Segerbäck (641) on 4/17/2010 5:23 PM · Permalink · Report

So, I've tried to set up a multiplayer game on the 2008 free release of Area 51 (which they pulled from most game sites last year), and the game asks for a email and password. It would seem they use their own online service as there is no mention of GameSpy or anything like that. I can't create a new account on the service either, so I guess they don't run those servers anymore - at least not for the free version.

So, a couple of questions: Is there any way to get around the issue and play on dedicated servers instead? Official or third party patches that removes the discontinued online service? Or, does the online features work in the retail version of the game, which I had been thinking of buying? I wouldn't want to waste money on that if they've pulled all online support and the retail version only gives me access to the stuff already present in the free version.

Joel Segerbäck (641) on 4/17/2010 7:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh, I just noticed the game actually connects to GameSpy, even though it does not explicitly say that in the Online menus (admittedly, there is big hint about that on the loading screen). So even though the "Create a new account" does not work anymore, you could just enter the email and password you use for GameSpy, and you will connect.

Foxhack (32100) on 4/17/2010 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for reminding me, I STILL need to get that and the other game they released for free.

Joel Segerbäck (641) on 4/17/2010 7:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]Thanks for reminding me, I STILL need to get that and the other game they released for free. [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]

the installer (1.9 GB) is still hosted at Strategy Informer, http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/area51/full-game/26957.html

Foxhack (32100) on 4/17/2010 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm leeching it off Big Download. :)