🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Shadow of the Colossus > Tips for riding Agro

Halleck (389) on 1/23/2011 5:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I noticed that some reviewers were complaining about Agro being difficult to control.

Here are some helpful things to know about Agro:

1. Steady Gallop: The most important tip. If you HOLD X while Agro is galloping, he will try to maintain maximum speed and will also try to avoid running in to walls or cliffs. This is practically required for certain boss fights such as Colossus 10, and Colossus 13 if you wish to perform horseback archery. It also helps you cross narrow bridges quickly and travel quickly in general. If Agro must slow down for some reason he will usually try to speed up again as soon as he can as long as you are holding X. You can also tap X a couple times to spur him back up to speed more quickly and then continue holding X.

2. Quick Start: When Agro is stationary or walking slowly, press down on Left stick and X at the same time (Down + X) to quick start Agro into a full gallop. If you miss it, just keep trying, he can be moving a little bit.

3. Quick Stop: When Agro is moving quickly, pressing (Down + X) will cause Agro to screech to a stop.

4. Quick 180: At full gallop, if you immediately follow your quick stop (Down + X) by pressing Down + X a second time, Agro will do a 180 and continue galloping!

5. Jumping Mount: You can mount Agro from the ground or even from jumping off of something by jumping towards him and holding R1. I find this easier than a standing mount.

6. Lock Camera on Agro: If you call Agro from afar by tapping X, hold X to lock the camera on him.

7. Ride Standing: Limited usefulness, but holding R1 + Up will let you stand on Agro as he is moving. This can be helpful to grab on to stuff when jumping off Agro.

There are a few more tricks that look cool but I can't find a use for them in game so I didn't include them, see this video for more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K1EllQllak

There is also a FAQ here on hidden moves in the game in general: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/666/666142p1.html

If you have any more tips, please add them here! :)

Lain Crowley (6629) on 1/26/2011 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

I was kind of disappointed that Red Dead Redemption's horses didn't control as well as Agro. The guy who modeled the horse animation was from a movie background and hadn't even heard of SotC. Oh well.