DescriptionSuper Turrican is the next generation installment of the famous Turrican Series. Once again it is up to the U.S.S. Freedom Forces to get into their Turrican Assault Suits and drive back the forces of "The Machine".
Similar to it's predecessors, Super Turican features large levels that are crammed with secrets and can be explored freely and in any direction. To get rid of the numerous enemies, Turrican can use three upgradeable shots: A spreadshot, a powerful laser and a rebound that bounces off of walls. Additionally, there is a Freeze-Beam that can be used to temporarily freeze enemies. It is fully rotatable, and therefor also a great help in discovering secret capsules. These capsules contain powerups and can often be used to reach secret areas. Last but not least, Turrican has the ability to transform into an energy wheel (as long as he has enough special energy), which enables him to lay mines and even makes him invincible.
- "Super Turrican 1" -- Informal title
- "スーパータリカン" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Group
|Turrican has returned like never before!||SNES||Isaac Miles (5)|
|Power Unlimited||SNES||Nov, 1993||9.1 out of 10||91|
|neXGam||SNES||Dec 27, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Nintendo Magazine System UK||SNES||Aug, 1993||83 out of 100||83|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||SNES||Apr, 1993||32 out of 40||80|
|Super Play (UK)||SNES||Aug, 1993||80 out of 100||80|
|Video Games||SNES||Aug, 1993||76 out of 100||76|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Wii||Oct 18, 2013||15 out of 20||75|
|Jeuxvideo.com||SNES||Oct 18, 2013||15 out of 20||75|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Wii||Mar 07, 2008||7 out of 10||70|
|Pixel-Heroes.de||SNES||Jun, 2005||7 out of 10||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Cut contentThe game was originally developed as 6Mbit module, but in the end the developers had to change it to 4Mbit. To fit the game, they had to cut a full level. As of early 2013, the uncut ROM is unreleased but still exists.
- The planet on which the action of Super Turrican takes place is called Katakis, which is also the title of a side-scrolling shoot'em up developed by Factor 5, the team responsible for Super Turrican.
- In the intro, the planet is classified as "mostly harmless", which is most likely a reference to Douglas Adams' famous book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which the earth is described as "mostly harmless"
Related Web Sites
- Turrican SETA (A great (95% English) site that contains lots of information on every Turrican game for every platform, as well as background info on Turrican-related game editors, freeware games similar to Turrican, and even screenshots of the cancelled Turrican 3D.)
A Game by: