🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams > Pending correction

Corn Popper (69027) on 10/26/2010 5:22 PM · Permalink · Report

This is what it says...

I think this entry of Silent Hill 2 should be split in two: the original 2002 release and the Director's Cut 2003 release, since there are enough differences between the two to guarantee another entry. I think there's also the need to split also the "also know as" entries since the Director's Cut is another different version, not the original one with only a different name. The correct a.k.a. for SH2: Director's Cut is "SH2: Restless Dreams", and you can find a lot of info on this on the net, like Gamespot (but they don't have any info about the PC release, which I own).

I think we could solve the problem as follows: just add a new platform PC at the Silent Hill 2 for PS2 entry located at http://pc.mobygames.com/game/silent-hill-2 and move the appropiate cover art there. Note that the cover art for SH2 and Director's Cut must be split, since at this time it's all mixed up too.

Thoughts here...?

Lain Crowley (6629) on 10/27/2010 3:30 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, that looks about right. From the box the PC USA version of Silent Hill 2 it doesn't appear to have the added bonus features of the Xbox and later re-releases. I remember hearing too that the Director's Cut version never came out in the USA. There's no reason to change any of the AKAs, though, because Restless Dreams and Director's Cut are the same game and SH2 vanilla was only called Silent Hill 2.

Going to have to do some juggling though, because there's also currently boxart for the US PS2 Greatest Hits release in SH2 that should be moved to SH2:RD (these two)

Oh, and Restless Dreams is another one of those pesky games with multiple descriptions, so that's something else to take care of.

Crawly (1417) on 10/27/2010 8:29 AM · Permalink · Report

As far as I recall the only Windows version of Silent Hill 2 is Restless Dreams.

The IGN review of the game (from December 3, 2002) mentions the additional scenario and Xbox features: http://pc.ign.com/articles/376/376425p1.html

Lain Crowley (6629) on 10/27/2010 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah ha, yeah, just saw "two playable characters" on the back of the PC USA box, and the only time Maria is ever playable is in Born from a Wish. Strange they don't make a bigger deal out of it. I take back what I said earlier, SH2 PC USA is definitely the RD version.

Man, that IGN review is awful. Wish I could be paid to write that poorly.

Crawly (1417) on 11/13/2010 7:54 AM · Permalink · Report

I've just noticed that the Windows platform had been added to the original Silent Hill 2 entry.

Since it seems that the only Windows release of the game is "Restless Dreams" (although the subtitle doesn't appear on the US box), it doesn't really make much sense.

Crawly (1417) on 12/24/2010 11:41 AM · Permalink · Report

:(

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/6/2011 10:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Crawly wrote--]Since it seems that the only Windows release of the game is "Restless Dreams" (although the subtitle doesn't appear on the US box), it doesn't really make much sense. [/Q --end Crawly wrote--]

The Xbox release is also subtitled Restless Dreams

Crawly (1417) on 1/14/2011 3:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start BurningStickMan wrote--] [Q2 --start Crawly wrote--]Since it seems that the only Windows release of the game is "Restless Dreams" (although the subtitle doesn't appear on the US box), it doesn't really make much sense. [/Q2 --end Crawly wrote--]

The Xbox release is also subtitled Restless Dreams [/Q --end BurningStickMan wrote--] I know. There are two versions of the game: 1) The original game - Silent Hill 2 - a PlayStation 2 exclusive. 2) The improved edition - Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams/Director's Cut - the North American computer release of which is named simply "Silent Hill 2".

The original version, which is supposed to be a PlayStation 2 exclusive, has a PC release listed in the database.