The Story That Is Our Levelord’.
Born in New Haven , Connecticut on November 15, 1957 and there lived for 10 years. Spent 5 years in New Canaan , Connecticut. Went to high school in State College, Pennsylvania.
Joined the Navy in 1976 and served as a Boatswain’s Mate for a year aboard the U.S.S. Detroit. Then served as an Ocean Systems Technician for three years listening for nuclear and diesel Soviet submarines in Adak, Alaska and Norfolk, Virginia . Discharged in 1980 and moved to Los Angeles.
Received a technical degree for business-oriented programming in 1981 and worked for three years at Kirkhill Rubber Company in Brea, California. Went to night school for a year while at Kirkhill, then quit and attended community college for two more years in Santa Monica, California.
Accepted at UCLA as engineering undergraduate and received degree in computer engineering in 1990. Became homesick for the East Coast in 1990. Manhattan was first, for a year of graduate computer graphics study at NYU, then Connecticut to work for three years at Bauer Aerospace as the supervisor of software engineering. Accepted at University of Connecticut’s Master of Business program.
Started level designing in February of 1994 by creating GrayDOOM, an amateur 4-level pack including The Swamp, Imp Skull, Bad Water, and The Gauntlet. Hired to do contract levels for BLOOD with the Q Studios team and Apogee/3D Realms in September of 1994.
Hired full-time by Apogee
in March of 1995 and designed half of the levels for DUKE NUKEM 3D (The Abyss, Incubator, Warp Factor, Spin Cycle, Lunatic Fringe, Raw Meat, Bank Roll, Flood Zone, L.A. Rumble, The Movie Set, Rabid Transit, Fahrenheit, Hotel Hell, and Tier Drops).
Joined the Ritual Entertainment
Tribe in August of 1996 and released of the Scourge of Armagon add-on pack for Quake in 1997 which included the first suspended platform deathmatch level called HIPDM1. Next released was SiN in 1998 which included the first professional rat-sized player deathmatch level called Spry. Next released Heavy Metal’s FAKK2 in 2000. Have also helped with Rogue’s Alice and EA’s James Bond: Agent Under Fire.
In 2009 Gray started independent game studio Let It Rain Games
Also Known As
- Becky Brogan: The Mystery of Meane Manor (2009), MumboJumbo, LLC
- Luxor Adventures (2009), MumboJumbo, LLC
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter (2009), Devolver Digital
- Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena (2008), MumboJumbo, LLC
- Luxor 3 (2007), MumboJumbo, LLC
- 25 to Life (2006), Eidos Interactive Ltd.
- Reaxxion (2006), MumboJumbo, LLC
- SiN Episodes: Emergence (2006), Valve Corporation
- Serious Sam II (2005), 2K Games, Inc.
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (2004), Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
- Delta Force: Black Hawk Down - Team Sabre (2004), NovaLogic, Inc.
- Half-Life: Counter-Strike (2003), Microsoft Game Studios
- Serious Sam: Gold (2003), Global Star Software Inc.
- Star Trek: Elite Force II (2003), Activision Publishing, Inc.
- 007: Nightfire (2002), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (2002), Gathering of Developers
- Half-Life: Blue Shift (2001), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (2001), Gathering of Developers, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
- Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2 (2000), Gathering of Developers
- Quake: The Offering (1999), id Software, Inc.
- Duke Nukem 3D (1998), Tec Toy Indústria de Brinquedos S.A.
- Queen: The eYe (1998), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- SiN (1998), Activision, Inc.
- Blood (1997), GT Interactive Software Corp.
- Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror (1997), Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.
- Duke Nukem 64 (1997), GT Interactive Software Europe Ltd.
- Quake Mission Pack No 1: Scourge of Armagon (1997), id Software, Inc.
- Duke Nukem 3D (1996), FormGen, Inc.
- Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (1996), GT Interactive Software Corp.
- Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio (1979),