🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Bugs > Strange Date Wordings

Shoddyan (15004) on 4/30/2007 9:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Okay this is a bit of a weird one.... I happened to be at mobygames, but I wasn't logged in. As I surfed the site I noticed something strange about different dates on the website.... some words were misspelled... or at least they weren't spelled in english:

Take a look...

chirinea was able to reproduce this by logging out. However when both of us were logged in, our own date/language profiles took over and things looked fine. So this seems to be affecting "the world at large"... that is anyone without a user account.

Brian Hirt (10409) on 5/16/2007 6:27 PM · Permalink · Report

It is using the german date format. When you are logged in it uses your preferred date format.

When you are not logged in it tries to guess your country based on your ip address and uses defaults for that country. One other option is that a different country was explicitly selected from the buy this game box.

WildKard, where were you logged in from?

chirinea (47495) on 5/16/2007 6:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, WK is in Canada, I'm in Brazil, and for us both it showed the German date format... weird.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/16/2007 7:32 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Brian Hirt wrote--]It is using the german date format. When you are logged in it uses your preferred date format.

When you are not logged in it tries to guess your country based on your ip address and uses defaults for that country.[/Q --end Brian Hirt wrote--] That is a good intention, but shouldn't the browser's locale strings be the preference? After all, that has been part of the HTTP standard since the early nineties.

Foxhack (32100) on 5/17/2007 6:21 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--] [Q2 --start Brian Hirt wrote--]It is using the german date format. When you are logged in it uses your preferred date format.

When you are not logged in it tries to guess your country based on your ip address and uses defaults for that country. [/Q2 --end Brian Hirt wrote--] That is a good intention, but shouldn't the browser's locale strings be the preference? After all, that has been part of the HTTP standard since the early nineties. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]What about those of us that use English Windows in a non-English country? :)

(I can't use Spanish Windows. All the shortcuts are messed up and make no sense!)

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/18/2007 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--] What about those of us that use English Windows in a non-English country? :) [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] What do your datestrings look like?

Besides, you can set all that in most browser preferences.

Shoddyan (15004) on 5/16/2007 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Brian Hirt wrote--] WildKard, where were you logged in from? [/Q --end Brian Hirt wrote--]

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Right now my IP reads: 207.47.167.212
My DNS resolves to: 207-47-167-212.regn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca

Like I said, I tested it and so did Chinera, so I was more concerned that this german layout was what was being automatically selected by default... I dunno. Anybody in the United States want to try logging out and then bring up the forums to say what date formats they use? Refreshes may be required. :)

EboMike (3094) on 5/18/2007 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Normal US date format, like "Apr 12, 2007".

Shoddyan (15004) on 5/18/2007 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start EboMike wrote--]Normal US date format, like "Apr 12, 2007". [/Q --end EboMike wrote--]

"Apr" was showing up fine in any case. Here's the image link (from original post) of strange ones I saw.

EboMike (3094) on 5/19/2007 1:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Your image shows the German time format, i.e. "dd MMM yyyy", not "MMM dd, yyyy".

Shoddyan (15004) on 5/19/2007 1:21 AM · Permalink · Report

ok