🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/11/2007 10:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Capcom just announced that the much-acclaimed last iteration of the Resident Evil series is coming to grace Nintendo's Wii...

Imaginatively titled Bio Hazard 4: Wii Edition, this updated version features new Wiimote-specific controls. These include using the remote to aim weapons, moving the control to reload and using a knife by waggling the controller.

So, "using the remote to aim weapons", huh? And what the &#@% was it that prevented them from doing the same thing with the mouse in the PC version, again? ¬¬

nullnullnull (1463) on 4/11/2007 10:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't think they gave a shoit about the PC version. Nothing was preventing them other than caring how the port turned out. Which it seems they did not.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/17/2007 2:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Regardless, RE4 for the Wii is far too little, way too late. Even RE5 for the Wii doesn't exactly entice me a whole bunch.

Stratege (21379) on 4/17/2007 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Hell… they will sell same game 3rd time :( and I’m petty sure they will sell at less 1m copies of it :(.

Guy Chapman (1748) on 5/23/2007 9:09 AM · Permalink · Report

RE4 still stands as a fantastic game, and the Japanese reviews of it are very favorable (and still quite high), but the prospect of all of these "Wiimakes" for the system... other than Nintendo's heavy hitters and Sega's Nights, it doesn't make for a lot of "new" to look forward on the system this year.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/23/2007 6:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Most of the first person shooters for the Wii have been total shit. Instead of using the Wiimote creatively like Nintendo does with their first party titles, third parties are shit at using it effectively. The controlling is bad in multiplayer, and the graphics suck too. I don't think first person shooters do well on consoles anyway (with some good exceptions) from the lack of controls.

So is the Wii yet again doomed to only have good first party titles? From the looks of it, the only games I'm getting excited about for the Wii are first party...

Guy Chapman (1748) on 5/23/2007 8:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Sonic was alright, and the control set-up was interesting for Spider-Man 3, if more than a little ugly. And I've heard some really good things about Godfather. Harry Potter could be cool IF they do it right.

I think developers expected the PS3 to be the clear-cut winner, and now that it hasn't been, everyone's scrambling to put something out on the Wii without really thinking of the possibilities of what the control set-up can really do.

I don't think third party developers are going to "get" the Wii right now until after they stop scrambling to put something, ANYTHING on the system ("Wiimakes") and take the time to understand the potential of the control set-up. And Nintendo doesn't have to worry about that, because Mario, Metroid and Smash Bros will sell endless copies once they're released.

RE4 is great, but I'm ready for the "Wiimake" phase to end. Hopefully, well start getting announcements this Summer.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/24/2007 2:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Guy Chapman wrote--]Harry Potter could be cool IF they do it right. [/Q --end Guy Chapman wrote--] Meaning: Ditch Harry Potter for good and put the girl as a playable character.

Wearing a miniskirt (Y)

Shoddyan (15004) on 5/24/2007 9:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Most of the first person shooters for the Wii have been total shit. Instead of using the Wiimote creatively like Nintendo does with their first party titles, third parties are shit at using it effectively. The controlling is bad in multiplayer, and the graphics suck too. I don't think first person shooters do well on consoles anyway (with some good exceptions) from the lack of controls.
[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

We're still within the realm of "launch titles" for the system. The FPS titles I'm aware of have seemed to me to be either ports that feel rushed or, in the case of Red Steel a game that seems to have rushed to get to the genre of shooting/swordfighting before everyone else.

No doubt you're right that Nintendo will continue to lead the way of how to use the controls effectively for their own system. But I'd argue that this is in fact something that 1st-party developers do for EVERY console system. Not that 3rd-parties aren't innovative on their own sometimes... but the majority of control schemes we take for granted seemed to get introduced by the development studios or companies owned by the manufacturer of that system.

General Error (4329) on 5/30/2007 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]So is the Wii yet again doomed to only have good first party titles? From the looks of it, the only games I'm getting excited about for the Wii are first party... [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] Well... I know Nintendo a tiny little bit because I've been developing Gameboy games. One thing I can say that the documentation of their engine is quite crappy, hard to use and incomplete. The tools they provide are also a bit awkward to use. I've got this nasty feeling Nintendo developers have better tools and docs... Could be part of the marketing strategy: Nintendo is doing the best Nintendo games!

chirinea (47495) on 5/30/2007 1:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start General Error wrote--]Nintendo is doing the best Nintendo games! [/Q --end General Error wrote--] But Genesis do what Nintendon't. =)