🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > PDF-walkthroughs on MobyGames.

Michael B (303) on 5/15/2011 9:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Just a few minutes ago, I checked out MobyGames' tool for uploading walkthroughs. What I found was a small text box, 77 square centimeters or 7 by 11 centimeters, meant for a whole walkthrough. Imagine yourself trying to write a walkthrough for Tomb Raider or Metal Gear Solid in that tiny box. I can already feel the pain in my fingers when thinking about all the potential scrolling.

Wouldn't it be better if we could upload walkthroughs in PDF format instead? That would allow us to write good and extensive walkthroughs, and it could also be a great source for contribution points. Why PDF, might someone ask. Well, after scrolling endlessly through pure text documents on Neoseeker, I'm fed up.

What do you think about this idea? Is it something that could be done this decade, or do I have to wait until my hair is white before it is implemented?

Indra was here (20755) on 5/15/2011 9:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start White Wolf wrote--]... or do I have to wait until my hair is white before it is implemented? [/Q --end White Wolf wrote--]Bingo.

Though a standard wikia format is much more feasible if any feature is considered. Any specific format that requires prior installation of third party software is considered not user friendly. Yes, there some people out there actually don't want to install PDF in case you're wondering.

Michael B (303) on 5/16/2011 6:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q2 --start White Wolf wrote--]... or do I have to wait until my hair is white before it is implemented? [/Q2 --end White Wolf wrote--]Bingo.

Though a standard wikia format is much more feasible if any feature is considered. Any specific format that requires prior installation of third party software is considered not user friendly. Yes, there some people out there actually don't want to install PDF in case you're wondering. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] Wouldn't that make this entire website not user friendly? After all, people have to, unless they use IE, install third party software to view MobyGames. Come on. It takes a few minutes to download and install a PDF browser, and many computers have them preinstalled when manufactured. At some point or another most people will need a PDF browser any way, so they are most likely to download one sooner or later. And considering all the crap that fills computers around the world, I don't think that a simple PDF browser will be of any nuisance to people.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/16/2011 1:38 PM · Permalink · Report

It would be more user friendly to have various formats available...and there seem to be a large number of formats available (at least when I'm browsing e-books). It would also be dang inefficient.

The only thing you need to view MG is a browser, which is enough. A txt file should also work, since no additional software needs to be viewed. Though I probably represent some of those nerds wouldn't be caught dead with a pre-installed PC, clean their registry manually, and has memorized the contents of their program files.

PDF files are also a bit unstable and subject to file corruption now and then. Also possible with every new release. Also problematic for people using older PDF versions. Smaller formats would also be a less strain on the database, considering PDF files are usually in the MB not KB.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/16/2011 3:15 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not difficult to extract text from a PDF file. Display a plain-text copy of the PDF contents, and place a link to the download of the original PDF file.

I wonder though if a more open system would not be better suited for a pimped walkthrough system. Like simple HTML, and providing a TinyMCE editing box on the site for editing, or whatever that thing is called that I also use in Wordpress. I can even copy & paste from Wordpad, Word, OpenOffice etc. and it automagically ends up being nicely a formatted HTML post.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/16/2011 9:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm one of those weirdos who can't stand the PDF format, so often abused when a .JPG or even raw text would work so much better and un-bloat-ily.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/16/2011 10:31 PM · Permalink · Report

My defense representation for weirdos knows no bounds!

Klaster_1 (57612) on 5/17/2011 1:30 AM · Permalink · Report

I know about "document everything", but does really anyone use MG for walkthroughs? There are other sites which suit better this purpose.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/17/2011 2:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]I know about "document everything", but does really anyone use MG for walkthroughs? There are other sites which suit better this purpose. [/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--] No, for newer games. Possibly, for older/obscure games. A wikia version of sorts really should be adapted...or at least, a revise option.

Wish we'd also allow downloadable patches for older than 1990 (and under 1 MB). Hard to find those.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 5/17/2011 4:35 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q2 --start Klaster_1 wrote--]I know about "document everything", but does really anyone use MG for walkthroughs? There are other sites which suit better this purpose. [/Q2 --end Klaster_1 wrote--] No, for newer games. Possibly, for older/obscure games. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] Personally, if I could be arsed to write an entire walkthrough, I'd post it oin GameFAQs rather than on MobyGames.

chirinea (47495) on 5/17/2011 6:32 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JudgeDeadd wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q3 --start Klaster_1 wrote--]I know about "document everything", but does really anyone use MG for walkthroughs? There are other sites which suit better this purpose. [/Q3 --end Klaster_1 wrote--] No, for newer games. Possibly, for older/obscure games. [/Q2 --end Indra was here wrote--] Personally, if I could be arsed to write an entire walkthrough, I'd post it oin GameFAQs rather than on MobyGames. [/Q --end JudgeDeadd wrote--] Why not submitting for them both?

Indra was here (20755) on 5/17/2011 7:12 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] [Q2 --start JudgeDeadd wrote--]
Personally, if I could be arsed to write an entire walkthrough, I'd post it on GameFAQs rather than on MobyGames. [/Q2 --end JudgeDeadd wrote--] Why not submitting for them both? [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] The former uses txt, the later has html and browser bugs. :p

chirinea (47495) on 5/17/2011 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q2 --start chirinea wrote--] [Q3 --start JudgeDeadd wrote--]
Personally, if I could be arsed to write an entire walkthrough, I'd post it on GameFAQs rather than on MobyGames. [/Q3 --end JudgeDeadd wrote--] Why not submitting for them both? [/Q2 --end chirinea wrote--] The former uses txt, the later has html and browser bugs. :p
[/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]Oh but there is already a great tool for converting txt to html, and it is even built in on most OSs! It's called copy/paste. =P

Rola (8483) on 5/17/2011 2:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]Hard to find those. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] ?

http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/pat.cgi?lang=eng

My vote is against PDFs, sorry. Unless for scanned manuals - oh wait, that's already on another site.

But yes for implementing WYSIWYG formatting options here and there - and for the darned forum too!

Klaster_1 (57612) on 5/17/2011 2:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q]But yes for implementing WYSIWYG formatting options here and there - and for the darned forum too![/Q] Already done.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/17/2011 2:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--][1] http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/pat.cgi?lang=eng

[2]But yes for implementing WYSIWYG formatting... [/Q --end Rola wrote--] [1] Holy Babylonian bimbos, batman!
Bookmarked.
All this time... sniff

[2]I don't think people who never heard of Lotus would understand what your talking about, mate. This is the Lotus jargon right? Or was it Wordstar? I forget.

Yes, you guys are that old. :p

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 5/17/2011 2:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Good idea, actually. Especially with X(H)TML... PDFbooks like Wikipedia or custom designs PDF upload. Problem might be active content, which, besides typographical advantages, is one of the format's very underused strengths, but could open the floodgates for malware at the same time... which calls for a tad bit more infrastructure. Besides, how many people would freely work on a game guide that's better than the typical .txt file, even better than something Prima packs into a pdf? Because all that could be made workable with standard web techniques... that are not from 1995 or something.