DescriptionGeorge Stobbart is an American tourist spending his autumn vacation in Paris. He barely escapes a bombing of a café and decides to investigate the clues left behind by the killer. This eventually leads him to a mystery dating back to the legend of the Knights Templar.
Circle of Blood is the first part in the Broken Sword series. It is a third-person puzzle-solving point-and-click adventure game with 2D cartoon-like graphics. The player moves the character around using the mouse, examines the environment, talks to other people and collects items stored in an inventory. These items need to be used or combined with other items to solve puzzles. George gets help from Nicole Collard, a French journalist. The story is divided into eleven chapters and takes place in locations such as Paris, Ireland, Syria, and others.
- "断剑：圣殿骑士的阴影" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Сломанный Меч: Тень Тамплиеров " -- Russian spelling
- "Slomannyj Mech: Ten' Tamplierov" -- Russian title
- "Les Chevaliers de Baphomet" -- French title
- "BS1" -- Common abbreviation
- "Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars" -- US GBA/PSX, UK PC title
- "Broken Sword: La leyenda de los Templarios" -- Spanish title
- "Broken Sword: Il Segreto dei Templari" -- Italian title
- "Baphomets Fluch" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Broken Sword series
- Game Engine: Virtual Theatre
- Setting: Church / Monastery
- Setting: City - Paris
- Setting: Country - France
|An extremely well-executed adventure for the Game Boy Advance.||Game Boy Advance||Ruben van der Leun (11)|
|Neither fish nor fowl||Windows||Cor 13 (174145)|
|Learn about the Templars while searching for the café bomber||Windows||*Katakis* (38155)|
|A strangely ordinary adventure||Windows||hydra9 (3830)|
|One word.....BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!||Windows||Grant McLellan (544)|
|Jones!? You've got some nerve...||Windows||MAT (117118)|
|The great game that might have been.||Windows||PCGamer77 (3004)|
|Shadow of the Templars is best described as a "diet coke" of the Adventure genre, only with much better aftertaste.||Windows||Gonchi (3673)|
|one fine adventure game... and it's not from lucasarts !||Windows||Xa4 (268)|
|One of the last true adventures of the 90s||Windows||Depth Lord (933)|
|Adventurespiele||Windows||Jun 07, 2005||100|
|GameTrip.net||PlayStation||Jun 12, 2006||10 out of 10||100|
|Game Over Online||Game Boy Advance||Jun 06, 2002||92 out of 100||92|
|Electric Playground||DOS||Nov 29, 1996||9 out of 10||90|
|Adventure-Treff||Windows||Sep 24, 2000||86 out of 100||86|
|neXGam||Game Boy Advance||2002||8.3 out of 10||83|
|Mega Fun||PlayStation||Oct, 1996||80 out of 100||80|
|PC Player (Germany)||DOS||Sep, 1996||80|
|GameBoomers||DOS||1996||4 out of 5||80|
|GameSpot||Game Boy Advance||Mar 28, 2002||7 out of 10||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesBroken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
AnimationThe game's animations and artwork were done by former animators and artists from Bluth Studios, makers of The Secret of NIMH, An American Tale, The Land Before Time, and the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace interactive arcade laser games.
EngineThe Game Boy Advance version does not use the Virtual Theatre game engine.
ExtrasSome versions of the game came with the Knights Templar book Savage Warrior written by Steve Jackson.
InstallationThe DOS/Windows installation program instead of showing a progress bar during the copying phase runs a Breakout variant. The paddle is controlled with the mouse.
MusicThe game contains over two hours of original music from Britain’s composer Barrington Pheloung, also known for his TV theme music on Central Independent Television’s renowned Inspector Morse detective series starring John Thaw and Kevin Whately.
Information also contributed by Garcia, Rola and Sciere
Related Web Sites
- Broken Sword 1 Hints (Helpful hints for solving Circle of Blood, the North American release of Broken Sword1)
- Circle of Blood - FAQs & Guides (Multiple walkthroughs and faq files (in various languages) on GameFaqs.com)
- How to play in Windows XP (Hakan Larsson explains exactly how to do it)
- ScummVM (Get "Broken Sword I", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)
- Walkthrough for Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars (Full solution for Circle of Blood/Shadow of the Templars posted on Revolution's web site.)
- Wikipedia: Circle of Blood (Article in the open encyclopedia)
Game Boy Advance Credits