Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
Description official descriptions
No less than six years have gone by before the third installment in the Broken Sword series saw the light of day. The first two games (The Shadow of the Templars and The Smoking Mirror) delved into the Knights Templar and Mayan mythology. This time, George Stobbart and Nico Collard are after the Voynich Manuscript to unravel its mysteries.
The Sleeping Dragon moves away from the 2D point-and-click concept from the earlier games and features a full 3D world, with a camera that does not rotate, but uses fixed cinematic perspectives, combined with full 5.1 sound. For the Windows version the game is no longer controlled through the mouse, but now through the keyboard, for the movement of the characters as well as all the actions. The player alternately controls George or Nico. Next to typical adventure gameplay such as exploration, conversations, and searching and combining items, there are also a few action sequences. The characters can duck, sneak, hang from ledges and move crates to reach higher areas.
The locations visited throughout the game include The Congo, Paris, England, Czech Republic and Egypt.
- Сломанный Меч 3: Спящий Дракон - Russian spelling
- 断剑：沉睡之龙 - Chinese spelling (simplified)
Credits (PlayStation 2 version)
204 People (189 developers, 15 thanks) · View all
|Head of Development|
|Lead Section Design and Implementation|
|Audio System Programming|
|[ full credits ]|
The actress who played Nico, Sarah Crook did not actually audition for the role. She was one of the supervisors of the audition, and asked Charles Cecil if she could try out for the role after a string of applicants Cecil regarded as unsuitable.
- In the room of Vernon Blier, the geek, you can find some references. In his bedroom, there's a poster with the cover image of the first Broken Sword game against the wall. In the living room, there's a painting with an apple on it. If you observe it closely, Nico will say: "Another Steve Jobs original" - an obvious reference to Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple.
- George's lucky piece of coal makes a return. In the previous game, you could pick up a 'lucky piece of coal' in the warehouse in Marseilles. It appears in this game as well, you can find it in the locked metal shack in Susarro`s Castle. Just like the previous game, it has no use at all in the game itself.
- The picture of George in Nico's apartment is the picture that George uses to ask about the killer throughout the first Broken Sword game, Circle of Blood. If you look behind George, you can see the assassin, complete with the bright green clown pants.
This was planned to be the last Broken Sword game, but later Revolution decided to continue the series with Secrets of the Ark: A Broken Sword Game.
- 2003 – Best Console Adventure Game of the Year (PlayStation 2)
Information also contributed by Depth Lord, Kalrac and Martin Smith
Related Sites +
Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon - FAQs & Guides
Various walkthroughs and fact files on GameFaqs.com
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon Hints
Question and answer type solution guide
Mr. Bill's Solution
Tells you how to get through the Action portions of Sleeping Dragon
Walkthrough for The Sleeping Dragon
Wikipedia: Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
Article in the open encyclopedia
- MobyGames ID: 11004
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by Sciere.
PlayStation 2, Xbox added by MAT.
Additional contributors: MAT, Unicorn Lynx, Jeanne, Monkeyhead, Pirou Julien, Ghost Pirate, dome_quest, Patrick Bregger.
Last modified February 22nd, 2023.