DescriptionMylo Steamwitz, an enterprising space trader, has set out to the perilous mines of the Altairian system. He hopes to collect enough crystals to start a profitable twibble farm.
Crystal Caves is a side-scrolling platform game, where the objective is to finish all 16 levels, collecting every single crystal within. On his way, Mylo is threatened by numerous monsters, such as bats, robots, mine carts or dinosaurs; there are also a lot of hazards such as stalactites and stalagmites, pipes which leak harmful water or poisonous mushrooms which kill instantly. Mylo has three health points, and if he is harmed enough times to deplete them all, he dies (but thankfully he has unlimited lives). To defend himself, Mylo has a missile pistol, which is able to take out most enemies, but not all. Many levels require the player to act fast and plan beforehand, as it's easy to get Mylo stuck in an impossible-to-win situation - if this happens, the level must be restarted.
Apart from the crystals, the levels contain a lot of items to collect: ammunition for the pistol, bonus items such as pickaxes or purple mushrooms that give score, and eggs which turn into letters when shot - collecting all 5 letters (B, O, N, U, S) on a level gives a lot of points, but it's not always easy to get them! It's also possible to find a power-up that reverses gravity when picked up, another one which gives your pistol the power to kill every enemy, a stop sign which freezes all enemies and makes them harmless and a red mushroom which allows you to kill enemies by running into them. These power-ups last only for a limited time though, so be careful, as they are always instrumental to victory!
|Collect the crystals to advance to the next cave||*Katakis* (37801)||unrated|
|Old but still fun platform game.||Chad Sell (3)||unrated|
|Gameplay at its best.||Tomer Gabel (4388)|
|Arcade fun and lovable levels.||Andrew Shepard (1233)|
|Great classic apogee game.||Attila (496)|
The Press Says
|Freegame.cz||May 10, 2003||89 out of 100||89|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Three games conflated into one entry!||10||Foxhack (12473)
Jun 19, 2009
EngineCrystal Caves uses the same game engine as another one of Apogee's games, Secret Agent.
PatchOctober 24th, 2005, Apogee released patched v1.0a shareware versions (and patches for registered versions) of old play-alike games Crystal Caves and Secret Agent after discovering that quitting these games under some installs of Windows XP (an operating environment that wasn't a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye at the time of these games' release) in some cases set the system clock back a century!
Credit for the fix goes to Peter "DOSBox" Veenstra and Crystal Caves' original programmer Frank Maddin; as the press release likes to point out, patching these titles up to 14 years after their initial release "has to be some kind of record."
The patched shareware version of Crystal Cave can be downloaded at ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1cc10a.zip ; the patch for registered versions can be downloaded at ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/patches/cc10apt.zip
- The title of Part One of Crystal Caves, 'The Troubles with Twibbles is very much alike to an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series, which had an episode titled The Troubles with Tribbles. Scott Miller - the game designer - is said to be a fan of Star Trek.
- There are numerous references to another Apogee platformer - Commander Keen, hidden in the game. Keen is listed on the default high score list, his famous helmet can be found many times throughout the game, and there is a mention about Yorp herding.
SharewareLike most Apogee platformers Crystal Caves is actually a trilogy. The first part of the trilogy is shareware, the other two parts are not. The names of the three episodes are:
- Vol 1:Troubles with Twibbles
- Vol 2: Slugging it out
- Vol 3: Milo versus the Supernova
Related Web Sites
- Crystal Caves (official website)
- Crystal Caves Fan Site (The first Fan Page about Crystal Caves game where you can find all related stuff to the game download , cheats , screen shots and more of cool stuff)
- Perilous Crystal Caves Website (Fansite with everything about Crystal Caves)