🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Cyberia > No Sound

Rafael Fonseca Mendes Leal on 6/25/2007 2:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Hello.

I would like to play Cyberia in my PC with sound but it says that I need to "set BLASTER" in the "autoexec.bat". I have Windows XP and an "Realtek AC 97".

Please, can somebody help me?

Bye.

chirinea (47495) on 6/25/2007 2:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, since you're Brazilian, I'll reply in Portuguese.

O Cyberia é pra DOS, então vc vai precisar de um programa pra emular ou o DOS, ou o som do DOS. Você pode usar o DOSBox, q é um emulador de DOS excelente, mas eu acho que talvez o jogo fique lento. Eu antes tentaria o VDMSound, q é um software q faz os programas de DOS rodarem com som no XP.

Edit: com o VDM eu não consegui rodar o jogo, ele não acha o CD (talvez dê pra configurar, não tentei muito). Já o DOSBox funcionou tranquilo. Se você tiver dificuldades em configurá-lo, é só perguntar).

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/25/2007 5:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Well, since you're Brazilian... [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] And just how did you figure that? :P

By the way, I haven't had any luck with your book so far. Either Uruguay sucks as a source from which to get books, or I suck at finding a good one :T

Still trying, though.

chirinea (47495) on 6/25/2007 5:53 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] And just how did you figure that? :P [/Q]Due to my uncanny approver powers, mwhahaha!

[Q]By the way, I haven't had any luck with your book so far. Either Uruguay sucks as a source from which to get books, or I suck at finding a good one :T

Still trying, though. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Hah, you'd remember that Brazil sucks too, I just asked this book for you 'cause I couldn't find it here before. =)

And muchas gracias for searching it.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/25/2007 8:57 AM · Permalink · Report

The line is
SET BLASTER=A??? I? D? E???

1. The A value is the card's I/O port. Most common is 220 or 240
  2. The I value is the card's IRQ setting. Most common is 5 or 7
  3. The D value is the card's DMA setting. Most common is 1 or 3
  4. The E value is the card's MIDI port value. This isn't always needed but if the card supports it, it enables better MIDI synthesis on the card. Most common is 330 or 340

It goes in the autoexec.bat , but you can also just type it in manually as a command when you access the DOS prompt.

chirinea (47495) on 6/25/2007 9:31 AM · Permalink · Report

It just won't work, WK. Cyberia is for DOS, and even if you can use the set blaster command under WinXP, it just won't make your DOS game recognize your hardware. I told him to try running it with DOSBox or VDMSound. I just tried VDMSound, but it fails to recognize the CD-Rom. DOSBox, OTOH, worked like a charm.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/25/2007 9:33 AM · Permalink · Report

well that SET BLASTER command applies equally to DOSBox... though it will usually automatically set it based on the values in the configuration file. Works there too however.

chirinea (47495) on 6/25/2007 9:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

OK, I thought you were talking about using the set blaster directly in XP's prompt. Anyway, if you use a frontend like D-Fend you won't need to use the command really. =)