DescriptionThis enhanced remake of Police Quest has been completely re-drawn using 256-color VGA graphics. Instead of the text-based interface of the original version, the remake features icons corresponding to the commands Walk, Look, Touch, and Talk for interaction with the game world.
The two versions also have some gameplay-related differences. The driving sequences from the original game have been simplified: the player is no longer required to physically navigate the car and input is limited to making the right turns while the car is driven automatically, and occasionally braking at stop signs. The mandatory poker mini-game during the final segment of the game has been made optional. A few puzzles have different solutions, though not all of those are simplified, and in some instances the puzzles have become more complex in the remake.
Story-wise, the game remains the same for the most part, but it also includes re-written and additional dialogue not seen in the earlier version.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Police Quest 1 VGA remake" -- Informal Name
Part of the Following Groups
- Enhanced remakes
- Game Engine: Sierra's Creative Interpreter (SCI)
- Police Quest series
- Sierra remakes
- Theme: Law enforcement
|This is an excellent Sierra remake well worth playing, even if you never played the original||Katakis | カタキス (39520)|
|Just Games Retro||Oct 01, 2006||90|
|Pelit||Jul, 1992||83 out of 100||83|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||May 15, 1998||4 out of 5||80|
|Play Time||Feb, 1993||78 out of 100||78|
|PC Games (Germany)||Feb, 1993||77 out of 100||77|
|Adventure Gamers||Oct 12, 2007||70|
|Aventura y Cía||May 18, 2004||60|
|A Force for Good||Sep, 2005||50|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaWhen Sierra decided to release the VGA remake, there are differences between it and its original counterpart. Besides having VGA support and sound card support, here are some examples:
- Solutions to puzzles in both versions are quite different.
- The dialogue between both versions are quite different.
- "Carol's Caffeine Castle" is renamed "Caffeine Carol's", and "Lytton City Park" has been renamed "Bert's Park" (after its founder).
- The appearances and names of some of the characters have been changed. For example, Helen Hots is renamed Tawnee Helmut, the drunk driver Art Serabian to Bill Barnum, and the Death Angel Frank Sloan to Frank Magpie.
- In the original, It is possible to change clothes without having a shower. In the VGA remake, having a shower is compulsory.
- The easy-to-use driving interface where you have to use the arrow keys to patrol your car has been replaced with a new and confusing one.
- While patrolling the streets, you can stop at any location at any time in the original, whereas you can't do this in the remake.
- You can't die by running a red light in the remake.
- In the remake, you don't have to perform a safety inspection each time you decide to go out.
- Near the end of the game, the remake gives you the opportunity to not play the poker game at all, play the poker game and win, and play the game and lose.
Related Web Sites
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)