DescriptionSuper Smash Bros. takes familiar Nintendo characters such as Mario, Kirby and Donkey Kong, and gets them to fight to the death. There are 8 fully-interactive landscapes, with one for each character, with noticeable links to their games. Controls are analogue-based, with different moves executed depending on the direction and how firmly the stick is pressed. Items like baseball bats, Bob-ombs, and healing items drop into the arenas at random, aiding any nearby characters than can make use of them. The game uses a fixed viewpoint which scrolls, although characters are rendered in 3D.
The one-player mode has 14 stages to work through. Up to 4 human players can do battle at once, with team play as well as all-against-all action. Hidden characters are thrown in for good measure, as are bonus rounds, and a battle to the end with a giant hand (you read right).
Playable characters include:
- Captain Falcoln* (F-Zero series)
- Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong games)
- Fox (Star Fox series)
- Kirby (Kirby games)
- Jigglypuff* (Pokémon universe)
- Link (Legend of Zelda series)
- Luigi* (Mario games)
- Mario (Mario games)
- Ness* (Mother/EarthBound series)
- Pikachu (Pokémon universe)
- Samus (Metroid series)
- Yoshi (Mario games)
* denotes any characters that need to be unlocked under special conditions first.
- "ニンテンドウオールスター！大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ" -- Japanese spelling
- "SSB" -- Common abbreviated name
- "Nintendo All-Star! Dai-Rantou Smash Brothers" -- Japanese title
- "Kakuto-Geemu Ryuoh" -- Japanese early working title
Part of the Following Groups
- Franchise crossovers
- Game Feature: BGM/Music Player
- Genre: Versus fighting
- Super Smash Brothers series
|A great multi-player fighting game!||darthsith19 (64)|
|Best party game ever||Matt Johnson (4)|
|We had soooooooooooo much fun when we were kids||Pixelspeech (949)|
|Nintendo Land||2003||92 out of 100||92|
|GamesCollection||Feb 18, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Gaming Target||Jul 05, 2000||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Power Unlimited||Feb, 2000||8.4 out of 10||84|
|Super Play (Sweden)||Nov, 1999||84 out of 100||84|
|APGNation||Oct 02, 2014||8 out of 10||80|
|Video Games||Jan, 2000||50 out of 100||50|
|Aftonbladet||Nov 22, 1999||40|
|Electric Playground||May 07, 2004||2 out of 10||20|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CharactersThis is the first time that a collection of Nintendo based characters have been brought together in one game (Mario, Samus, Link, etc.). Super Mario Kart was the first time a collection of Mario based characters was used.
Japanese Sound DifferencesThe Japanese version has different sound effects. For example, when attacking an opponent with punches and kicks, they sound like "thwaps". As another example, when attacking with the Beam Sword, it sounds a lot like the lightsaber from the Star Wars movies.
Information also contributed by Alexander Michel.
Related Web Sites
- Wikipedia: Super Smash Bros. (Information about Super Smash Bros. at Wikipedia)