DescriptionOperation C is a Game Boy sequel to the popular NES titles Contra and Super C and is, essentially, a side-scrolling shooter. You play a Rambo-esque character that goes around shooting everything in sight, collecting weapon upgrades and bonuses.
The game introduces the character of Black Viper to the series' oft-jumbled continuity. Black Viper would later return in the Nintendo DS title, Contra 4, as the primary villain.
The game features only five levels, two of which are played from an overhead perspective similar to Super C. Operation C is also notable in featuring the upgradable Spread Gun (from three to five shots) and introducing the Hunter Gun.
There is also the occasional platform element such as jumping puzzles, moving platforms etc., and the mandatory end-level boss.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Probotector" -- European title
- "Contra" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Group
|Bad conversion of a real classic.||Tomer Gabel (4354)|
|An instant classic||Elliot H (12)|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||May, 1991||93 out of 100||93|
|Mean Machines||Mar, 1991||91 out of 100||91|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||Feb, 1991||36 out of 40||90|
|Player One||Nov, 1992||85 out of 100||85|
|Video Games||Dec, 1991||81 out of 100||81|
|Play Time||May, 1992||81 out of 100||81|
|Digital Press - Classic Video Games||Sep 26, 2005||8 out of 10||80|
|Total! (Germany)||Jun, 1996||2 out of 6||80|
|Power Play||May, 1991||78 out of 100||78|
|Nintendo Power Magazine||Mar, 1991||3.7 out of 5||74|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Version differencesThere were a total of five versions of this game released. The original Japanese version, an American version, a European version, a version included in the Japanese release Konami GB Collection Vol. 1 (a compilation of older Game Boy games with full Super Game Boy support for each game) and another version for the European release of Konami GB Collection Vol.1.
The original Japanese version, titled Contra, was in black and white and has a stage select mode as a default feature in the game.
The US version is titled Operation C and has the stage select disabled from the game. Instead, the player has to input a code to unlock it.
The initial European version was titled Probotector, was based on the US version, but it had the main characters and some of the enemies replaced by robots, much like the previous Probotector games released in Europe.
The version included in the Japanese Konami GB Collection, is almost the same as the initial Japanese, only upgraded with Super Game Boy support such as a custom border and limited color.
The version in the European Konami GB Collection is called Probotector, but unlike the initial European version, none of the characters were replaced and the stage select is kept. The game is upgraded to full color with GBC-support.
Also, in Germany, the player character is replaced by a cyborg/robot, like in every Contra game in Germany. Also the name "Contra" is replaced by "Probotector"
- Game Informer Magazine
- August 2001 (Issue 100) - voted #13 in the Top 100 Games of All Time poll
Related Web Sites
- Contra Encyclopedia page for Operation C (Fan site dedicated to the official games in the Contra series. All versions of each game are covered. Information includes release dates, detailed game descriptions, regional differences, lots of trivia and interesting information about the games' developmental stages. There is also plenty of screenshots, links and additional resources.)
- The Contra Headquarters (A hosted fan "shrine" site devoted to all the games of the Contra series, including the Game Boy game Contra. Content includes game info/descriptions, plot summaries, various kinds of media (images, MP3s, etc.) and links to other Contra-related sites. )