DescriptionUp in Star Haven, there exists a Star Wand that allows the stars to grant wishes to those who are pure of heart. The Star Wand is looked over by the Seven Star Spirits, who protect it in its sanctuary. However, Bowser attacks Star Haven, steals the Star Wand, and locks up the Star Spirits so that they cannot challenge his power. With his new powers, Bowser defeats Mario and lifts Princess Peach's castle into the air, taking her and all her guests as prisoners. Now, the only way to challenge Bowser's unbridled power is to rescue all seven Star Spirits, which have been imprisoned all over the land.
Paper Mario is the follow-up to Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars. Basically, this is an RPG set in the Mario universe. Mario has the ability to gain experience and grow levels by defeating enemies and bosses. Mario also has the ability to recruit teammates to help him out in turn-based battles. As well, Mario can collect badges that will help his combat abilities, star pieces that he can trade for badges, and more items that he can use throughout the game. The Star Spirits will also aid him in his quest.
All the characters in the game are 2D within a fully 3D world. This gives the feeling that each character is made out of "paper".
- "马里奥物语" -- Chinese title (simplified)
- "Mario Story" -- Japanese title
- "マリオストーリー" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Paper? Yes. Mario? Yes. RPG? nonononono||Nintendo 64||Pixelspeech (955)|
|The best RPG for N64||Nintendo 64||Willy105 (16)|
|Nintendo Life||Wii||Jul 13, 2007||100|
|Da Gameboyz||Nintendo 64||Jul 07, 2004||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Gamer's Pulse||Nintendo 64||Jun 12, 2001||94 out of 100||94|
|VicioJuegos.com||Nintendo 64||Mar 15, 2005||93 out of 100||93|
|GamezGeneration||Wii||Apr 26, 2012||9 out of 10||90|
|Mag'64||Nintendo 64||Oct 05, 2001||85 out of 100||85|
|G4 Tech: Tech TV||Nintendo 64||Feb 23, 2001||80|
|Super Play (Sweden)||Nintendo 64||Sep, 2001||8 out of 10||80|
|Retroage||Nintendo 64||Feb 19, 2011||7 out of 10||70|
|GameCola.net||Nintendo 64||Jul, 2005||6 out of 10||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe N64 version of Paper Mario appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
- The Koopa Brothers are based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- At one point in the game, a whale says "They really should call you Doctor Mario"- a reference to another of Mario's classic roles.
- In a reference to the Nintendo 64, the number 64 is prominent in the game. Instances include the name of the train, the name of the bar near the port, and the number of Star Pieces that can be obtained from Chuck Quizmo's quizzes.
- One entry in Luigi's secret diary reads, "I wish I had my own game... with my name in the title." Another reads, "I'm terrified of ghosts!" These are references to the Nintendo Gamecube title, Luigi's Mansion.
- February 2006 (Issue #200) - named #141 out of 200 of the "Greatest Games of Their Time"
Related Web Sites
- Wikipedia: Paper Mario (Information about Paper Mario at Wikipedia)