DescriptionChris Redfield returns to the series as the main character in Resident Evil 5, a game which takes place five years after Resident Evil 4. He is sent to Kijuju, Africa, where local agent Sheva Alomar joins him in the mission to apprehend Ricardo Irwing, who is trying to sell bio-weapons in the black market. Soon they are attacked by hordes of locals infected by an improved version of the "las plagas" parasite seen in Resident Evil 4, which they call "majini". As the story progresses, Chris discovers that some old fellows are behind the whole incident.
As well as including the concept of the "las plagas" parasite, this fifth part of the series also brings back the novel gameplay from the previous game. With an over the shoulder view, Chris confronts hordes of infected enemies that can throw objects and even shoot at you. They can be repelled with various guns, grenades, or using the knife and melee attacks if they get too close. This time though, Chris has a partner, Sheva, who accompanies him through all the game and can be controlled by a second player, with both characters having to keep an eye on each other to survive. The second player can enter and leave at any time playing locally through split screen or online through another console.
The mercenaries mode, which consists of closed levels where the player must survive a given time while defeating enemies to set up chains and earn points, also returns from Resident Evil 4.
- "RE5" -- Common abbreviation
- "Biohazard 5" -- Japanese title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: MT Framework
- BioHazard / Resident Evil series
- Game Feature: FMV/Cutscene Player
- Gameplay feature: Quick Time Events / QTEs
- Japanese PlayStation 3 game releases with full English support
- Japanese Xbox 360 game releases with full English support
- Middleware: Nvidia 3D Vision
- Physics Engine: Havok
- PlayStation 3 Greatest Hits releases
- Premium Games label
- Setting: African
- Theme: Zombies
|The Worst Monster in This Game... Is Your CPU Buddy...||Xbox 360||ResidentHazard (3241)|
|Totally overrated crap. This is NOT a Resident Evil game.||Xbox 360||Melvin Raeynes (26)|
|The Video Game Critic||Xbox 360||Apr 26, 2009||A-||91|
|UOL Jogos||PlayStation 3||Mar 13, 2009||90|
|IGN||PlayStation 3||Mar 06, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Gamervision||Xbox 360||Mar 18, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|XboxAddict||Xbox 360||Mar 30, 2009||8.9 out of 10||89|
|GamePlasma||Xbox 360||Apr 07, 2009||8.6 out of 10||86|
|Gamernode||Xbox 360||Mar 22, 2009||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Video Games Daily||PlayStation 3||Mar 10, 2009||8 out of 10||80|
|Gaming Nexus||Xbox 360||Apr 13, 2009||B||75|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Android||May 25, 2016||14 out of 20||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
Apr 13, 2010
1001 Video GamesResident Evil 5 appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Jill ValentineIn what may be a subtle nod to Namco, Jill Valentine's appearance at a certain point in the game resembles Nina Williams from Namco's Tekken fighting game series, specifically Tekken 5.
SalesAccording to publisher Capcom, Resident Evil 5 has sold 7 million copies worldwide since its initial release (as of June 30, 2016), making it the most successful game in terms of sales in the entire history of the company.
- 2009 – #4 Best Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2009 – Best Action Game of the Year
- 2009 – #3 Best Graphics of the Year
- 2009 – #3 Best Viral Trailer of the Year
- Gamespot (Editor Choice Awards)
- 2009 - Character Most Likely to Fail a Performance Enhancing Drug Test (for the character Chris Redfield)
Information also contributed by
Big John WV
- 2009 - PC Award for Visual Excellence (Game of the Year Editor's Awards)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Resident Evil 5.)
Related Web Sites