DescriptionYour role as Rick Dangerous demands that you stop the Fat Guy and his evil plans to help an alien race take over control of our world. The journey takes in Hyde Park, Ice Caverns, Forest and Atomic Mines. He must solve positional puzzles and memorise the locations of laser bolts and booby traps, as well as avoiding enemies including robots, penguins and nomads. As in the first game, a fifth level is unlocked after you complete the four standard levels.
Rick can climb ladders and crawl through tight spaces. He is equipped with a laser gun and six little bombs, but can also punch with some effect. The controls are very easy to understand: pressing fire+up shoots the gun, pressing fire+down places a bomb, pressing fire+bottom-left/bottom-right makes Rick slide a bomb along the floor in the specified direction.
- "Rick Dangerous II" -- Title Screen title
Part of the Following Group
|More eyecandy, less frustration||DOS||5u3 (197)|
|Commodore Force||Commodore 64||Aug, 1993||92 out of 100||92|
|Crash!||ZX Spectrum||Nov, 1990||90 out of 100||90|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Amiga||Jan, 1991||90 out of 100||90|
|Atari ST User||Atari ST||Nov, 1990||87 out of 100||87|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||ZX Spectrum||Jan, 1991||850 out of 1000||85|
|Power Play||Amiga||Jan, 1991||84 out of 100||84|
|Power Play||Atari ST||Oct, 1990||84 out of 100||84|
|64'er||Commodore 64||Feb, 1991||8 out of 10||80|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Amiga||Nov 23, 2011||16 out of 20||80|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Commodore 64||Nov, 1990||7.8 out of 12||65|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Adlib supportAdlib support works if only you have the SOUND.COM utility which was originally supplied with the Adlib card. It nevertheless works with Adlib compatible cards such as the SoundBlaster (again you have to find SOUND.COM from somewhere and run it before the game).
Amiga version add-onOn the Amiga, there is an add-on disk, titled Rick Dangerous 2 1/2. It was a bonus level of the sequel that never appeared in the game but was given away free on the cover of The One Amiga magazine.
Unresolved endingThe final cutscene is open-ended - the Fat Guy escapes in a teleporter and Rick follows him, with the caption "What will Rick do next?". Sadly Rick Dangerous 3 was never completed.
VGA colorsIn the VGA version of the game, the same 16-color palette is used in all of the levels although the perceived color scheme of each level differs a lot from each other.
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (Issue #00) - #17 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Commodore Format
- July 1993 (Issue 34) - Modern Classics: Arcade Adventure
- March 1994 (Issue 42) Heaven – The Path to Righteousness: 20 Essential Games
- November 1994 (Issue 50) – #21 The All-Time Top 50 C64 Games
- October 1995 (Issue 61) – The Top Ten C64 Games of all Time
- EMAP Image's Golden Joystick 1991
- April 1991: Game of the Year - 8 Bit
- ST Format
- January 1993 (issue #42) - #39 in '50 finest Atari ST games of all time' list
Related Web Sites
- AtariMania (for Atari ST: game entry database; downloadable release; advertisement; magazine reviews; additional material)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (for Amiga: exhibit reference ID CH14588; additional material)
- CPC-Power (in French) (for Amstrad CPC: game database entry; package material; manual digitalizations; goodies; advertisement; magazine reviews; downloadable releases; additional material)
- Hall of Light (for Amiga: game database entry; digitalised manuals; package material digitalizations; screenshots; additional material)
- Lemon 64 (for C64: game entry database; magazine reviews; music; manual; cover art digitalizations; additional material)
- Lemon Amiga (for Amiga: game database entry; magazine reviews; instructions; additional material)
- Rick Dangerous - Resurrected (Fan site with extensive information about the Rick Dangerous games (all platforms).)
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (encyclopaedic entry for combined platforms)
- World of Spectrum (for ZX Spectrum: downloadable releases; additional material including – cassette inlay, advertisement, instructions; remakes links; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts)
Game Concept & Programming: