DescriptionAfter establishing themselves in the virtual rinks, EA combined both NHL and NHLPA licenses in NHL '94, allowing them to feature all 26 real teams (including both expansion teams) and players of the new NHL season for the first time in the series.
Aside from the licenses, the gameplay for this edition sees for the first time the inclusion of the devastating one-timer shot, but to keep forwards (literally) in check, defenders also feature harder body checks, with new animations. For an additional challenge, players can also choose to control the goalkeeper manually. A popular feature in previous editions, fighting is completely removed from the game. Game modes include exhibition games (or "regular season" in-game), playoffs (best of one or best of seven) and an all new shoot-out mode. The main options remain basically the same couple since the establishment of the series - period length (5, 10 or 20 minutes), line changes (off, manual or the new automatic mode) and penalties (off, on, on but no offsides).
While there are some minor differences between platforms (Genesis features record keeping for users and the MegaCD version has more stat screens, CD quality audio backdrops and the usual highlight clips here and there), only the PC version released at the same time features complete season action.
There are no promo images for this game
- "NHL Pro Hockey 94" -- Japanese SNES title
- "NHL Hockey 94 " -- In-game title
- "NHL Hockey '94" -- European title
Part of the Following Groups
|The greatest game ever made||sprewell (2)|
|The Video Game Critic||Jun 04, 2000||A||100|
|GamePro (US)||Oct, 1993||5 out of 5||100|
|Total! (Germany)||Feb, 1994||1.25 out of 6||95|
|The DOS Spirit||Dec 18, 2013||5.5 out of 6||92|
|Video Games||Jan, 1994||92 out of 100||92|
|GameCola.net||Apr 01, 2002||9 out of 10||90|
|Mega Fun||Dec, 1993||90 out of 100||90|
|Megablast||Jun, 1994||80 out of 100||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CompilationNHL '94 is included in the PS2 version of NHL 06.
- February 1994 (Vol. 6, Issue 2) - Sports Game of the Year (1993 Editors' Choice Awards)
Related Web Sites
- "John Madden Hockey" (Read-Only Memory, 2015) (Detailed article about the influences of the John Madden football games on the creation of NHL '94. Article written by Blake J. Harris with illustrations by Eleanor Crow.)
- NHL94.com (A comprehensive fansite entirely dedicated to NHL94)