🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > The Walking Dead > Wow...this...this...

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/2/2013 3:28 PM · Permalink · Report

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!

I just played two episodes and wow....

This is ****ing awesome!!!

OHMYGOD!!! I can't believe what choices I have had to make...so many painful moments, so much chaos, so much blood....

This is one of the best games ever!!!

Donatello (466) on 6/2/2013 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Isn't it just a visual novel? :P

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 6/2/2013 4:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Everyone seem to love it... But I share Donatello's skepticism. Is there even any gameplay there?..

Patrick Bregger (299999) on 6/2/2013 5:17 PM · Permalink · Report

There are a few puzzles and a few action sequences (mostly quicktime events).

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/2/2013 6:05 PM · Permalink · Report

It's a lot like Alpha Protocol, but without the boring. It does play like if AP had consisted only of dialogue and choices. I think this comparison explains the most how the game plays.

The experience is worth it alone.

It's a damn good story.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 6/3/2013 2:09 AM · Permalink · Report

I wouldn't be interested in Alpha Protocol (or any other game) if it only had dialogues and choices.

So there is no exploration at all?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/3/2013 4:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't know. You tell me. Did Dreamfall have any exploration?

I think you have an answer to your question.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/6/2013 3:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Alpha Protocol doesn't have any exploration either, for that matter. Hell, you can't even drop from a high spot unless you do it AT THE EXACT SPOT WHERE THE ARROW TELLS YOU. About the only parts where you actually get full control are the shooty bits, and those are by far the worst parts of the game.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/6/2013 3:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Weren't you defending David Cage's games not too long ago? This is pretty much like those, only the writing doesn't make you wanna stab your own eyes.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 6/6/2013 4:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Dreamfall had way too little exploration, that was the main reason why I didn't like it. It was still more than an interactive movie where you can't move at all. So does Walking Dead have the same amount of exploration?

Alpha Protocol had little exploration compared to most other RPGs, and that was exactly the part I didn't like in it. Still, it had normal 3D shooter-style levels.

David Cage's games? Nomad Soul had plenty of exploration, it had an open world. Indigo Prophecy was low on exploration, yet at the time its concept of adventure game design was new, and it was powerfully executed. I would probably not be interested in playing another game like that.

chirinea (47496) on 6/3/2013 3:29 AM · Permalink · Report

I just bought this in that weekly Humble Bundle and I'm about to see what it is about. So far, impressions have been much like the ones in this thread: part awe, part skepticism.

vedder (70767) on 6/3/2013 7:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I've played the first three chapters so far. I usually hate games that emphasize story, because their stories are always crap compared to narrative in pretty much any other medium. This game is the exception to the rule. I was very sceptic at first, as I don't like quick time events nor cutscenes and usually avoid them like the plague. This game is about 90% that, but the choices you make and the little puzzles it does have do make up for it. The characters in the game are really good and you really start to care for some. And when you have to make those snap decisions... O boy.

With the third chapter I played, I did feel the novelty was wearing off a little bit. Maybe the chapter just wasn't as strong as the previous one.

Minor spoiler.

Also there are some obvious mechanical limitations to the choice making. If you have to choose now between two persons; one of them is going to die, you can be damn sure the other will die pretty soon as well, because they can't afford to create the entire game with multiple characters with distinct personalities.

End spoiler.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/3/2013 3:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]I usually hate games that emphasize story, because their stories are always crap compared to narrative in pretty much any other medium. This game is the exception to the rule.[/Q --end vedder wrote--]

A game with zombies and based on a comic book is the exception? Pardon me if I find that very hard to believe.

vedder (70767) on 6/3/2013 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

From Hell is a comic book and one of the best books I've ever read.

Zombies are the reason I was sceptic about the game, but I guess they serve their purpose. The story is extremely cliché because of it, but the ability to make the choices yourself just makes it work.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/6/2013 4:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]From Hell is a comic book and one of the best books I've ever read. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Also V for Vendetta. And Watchmen. And La foire aux inmortels. And L'Incal. And The Sandman. And Cages. And Akira. And Domu.

Hell, Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean and The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller are not only comics, they're comics about Batman, and either of them would probably blow your mind.

Seriously, I thought dismissing comics so nonchalantly was something that people had stopped doing at some point during the early 90s o_O

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/6/2013 4:13 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]Seriously, I thought dismissing comics so nonchalantly was something that people had stopped doing at some point during the early 90s o_O[/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]

I have given several of them that were recommended to me a try, and I can only remember two that I barely liked. One was XIII, the other was the one Sin City was based on, I can't remember if they were called that. The former was an okay read, the latter had great style. Oh, and I've always loved Tintin if that counts :)

But I have a near-zero tolerance for supernatural elements in stories, and it seems like the overwhelming majority of comic books still fall into that category, so I feel pretty confident generally dismissing them outright, just as I do sci-fi shows. There one per decade that I might end up actually enjoying are the exceptions that confirm the rule.

vedder (70767) on 6/6/2013 4:55 PM · Permalink · Report

You could try comics like Maus, Pyongyang or Persepolis. All three are biographies (the latter two auto-) and thus don't feature any fiction at all.

Personally I don't really read comics any more after From Hell (which does have a supernatural or rather metaphysical element to it). It made everything else look bad in comparison.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/6/2013 7:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I'll note those down for a possible next excursion, thanks!

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Personally I don't really read comics any more after From Hell (which does have a supernatural or rather metaphysical element to it). It made everything else look bad in comparison.[/Q --end vedder wrote--]

Heh, reminds me of the Portlandia sketch with the Pitchfork music critic finishing his review of this supposedly perfect band and addressing the other editors: "Everything that can be said in music has now been said. I think we're done, we can shut the site down. Good job everybody, shut down your computers."

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/3/2013 4:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I take it that you're not a fan of the tv show either?

It's a lot like that tv show, only better writing and the fact that it's your choices that make shit happen. And that... is all you need really. That's incredibly compelling and dramatically effective.

vedder (70767) on 6/3/2013 4:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I haven't seen the TV show, nor read the comic actually.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/3/2013 4:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I was replying to Daniel. I apologize for the confusion. Should have quoted.

vedder (70767) on 6/3/2013 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah yeah I now see the post is on a different indentation level. We don't always have the clearest of fora :)

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/4/2013 4:11 PM · Permalink · Report

The whole zombies thing sort of instantly disqualified it in my TV pilot pre-selection process. In case of zombies, science-fiction, and comic book adaptations, I make exceptions only after some time has passed and I still hear people go on and on about how good it is. The Walking Dead seems to be on that path, but not quite there yet. It took the original Star Trek more than 40 years :)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 6/3/2013 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Heh heh... I'll have to bookmark this and come back after you finish the last episode.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/20/2013 4:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I finished it.

I have basically nothing more to add to my first impressions. It was a damn good story.

"Keep the hair short" - Lee

You're a man's man Lee. You've made some shitty decisions in life. You've had your failures. But you came through. You took responsibility and gave everything you had to protect the one in your care. You did your best. And we can't ever ask more from fathers. I salute you Lee!

Telltale really did something outstanding here. Maybe they never will recapture it, maybe season 2 will be pure crap. But we'll always have Lee and Clementine.

It was an honor to play this game.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 6/20/2013 5:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well said.

Certainly sets a new bar that I'm curious to see if similar stories like The Last of Us can match (well, as soon as they fix this PS3 firmware issue).

Sciere (930479) on 6/20/2013 8:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It has equally intense moments and some stunning voice acting. It's a wholly different game of course, and better as a game because of the environment and the exploration. Many themes return, but Ellie is completely different as a personality compared to the helpless Clementine, but still equally weak at heart behind her rebellious teenage shell. Similarly Joel is tougher than Lee, but he decided to be that way. The in-game gameplay interaction between Joel and Ellie also is a lot like Booker and Elisabeth in BioShock Infinite with unexpected, spontaneous moments based on the environment, that also helps.