DescriptionWarcraft III: The Frozen Throne is the first official expansion to Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. The game takes place not long after the events depicted in the latter. The Night Elves have retreated to their forest to heal the war-torn earth, the Orcs have finally found a home, the Humans have moved on since their homeland is now a plague-stricken infested wasteland, and the Undead, having been defeated in the battle of Mount Hyjal move on to the frozen north. A new evil has awakened and is threatening the land.
The expansion features one new hero per race along with several 'neutral' heroes that can be recruited by any race, several new units for each race as well as neutral races, new tile sets, a player-built shop that can be used to equip heroes with items, and an all new campaign.
- "魔兽争霸III：冰封王座" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
Part of the Following Groups
- Fantasy Creatures: Orcs
- Gameplay feature: Day / Night cycle
- Gameplay Feature: Fog of War
- Gameplay feature: Recordable replays
- Technology: amBX
- Video games turned into board / card games
- WarCraft III series
- Warcraft universe
|Quite possibly the best expansion pack ever released.||Windows||kbmb (399)|
|Makes a superb game even better.||Windows||Emlyn Hughes (10)|
|A good story does not a game make||Windows||Curlymcdom (47)|
|A worthy addition to Warcraft III||Windows||Scott Monster (925)|
|Could have been stand-alone||Windows||Pixelspeech (949)|
|Mac Gamer||Macintosh||Jul 28, 2003||100 out of 100||100|
|Gamers.at||Windows||Jul 20, 2003||93 out of 100||93|
|IGN||Windows||Jul 01, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|4Players.de||Windows||Jul 05, 2003||90 out of 100||90|
|GamerDad||Windows||Jul 30, 2006||90|
|Worth Playing||Windows||Jul 01, 2003||8.9 out of 10||89|
|Inside Mac Games (IMG)||Macintosh||Sep 15, 2003||8.75 out of 10||88|
|Absolute Games (AG.ru)||Windows||Jul 17, 2003||85 out of 100||85|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Windows||Jul 04, 2003||17 out of 20||85|
|Gamesdog||Windows||Dec 16, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
OrcsThe bonus orc campaign features some characters who should have been in Blizzard's cancelled adventure game Warcraft: Lord of the Clans, for instance the goblin Gazlowe and the orc Nazgrel.
ReferencesIn the last level of the Blood Elf campaign, you will encounter two blademasters called Rend and Maim. They are the two sons of Blackhand (the orc leader in the first Warcraft) and you may know them from the Warcraft II manual (in Warcraft II they were the rulers of the Black Tooth Grin clan.) However Rend and Maim's appearance (and death) in Frozen Throne has since been retconned in World of Warcraft.
- 2003 – Best PC Multiplayer Game of the Year
- Apple Design Award
- 2004 - Best Mac OS X Entertainment Product
- 2003 – PC Strategy Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Frozen Throne Walkthrough (A Walkthrough for the Alliance, Undead Scourge, and Night Elf Sentinels with screenshots and strategies to help the player.)
- NZMac Review (A (largely) unscored review of the Macintosh version of the game by NZMac, a New Zealand Apple site (Sep. 01, 2003).)
- The Battle Between Good and Evil (An Apple Games article about the Macintosh version of The Frozen Throne archived on the author's site (July, 2003).)