Two thousand years ago, the wise mages of the Council of Seven sacrificed themselves to save the land of Rivellon. A Divine Order was established in their memory, sworn to protect the land from forces of evil. Now, growing unrest, corruption, and greed indicate that evil is near. You are, of course, "The Chosen One" according to the prophecy. But before you can venture out to slay evil, you must be blessed as the Divine Savior.Divine Divinity
is a 2D RPG similar to the style of Diablo
, yet with an odd oblique (instead of isometric) perspective, set in a fantasy universe. The entire game world consists of over 20,000 screens, each one being a seamless transition into the next with weather effects and day/night cycles. The main quest progression is linear; however, there are plenty of sub-quests available, many with multiple solutions, and the main character are pretty much free to travel to most parts of the map right at the beginning.
The game features a random item generator similar to, albeit less extensive than, Diablo
. Items at certain locations have fixed names, but the most attributes (like damage, armor rating, poison/stun effect, stat bonus, or gem slot) are randomized. The player can also improve their weapons by gems dropped from enemies, or bought from shops; the dedicated player may even embark themselves on the quest to find the legendary weapons.
The game's features include 3 character classes. Each class can learn the skills of other classes, and the different between them are mainly starting skills, and stat bonus as they level up. Also notable is the ability to loot almost anything, not just equipment or healing item, but also chairs, candle sticks, and pretty much anything that isn't nailed down (except tables).
- "神界" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Divinity: Sword of Lies" -- Working title
- "Divine Divinity. Рождение легенды" -- Russian spelling
Part of the Following Group
The Press Says
||Nov 23, 2002
||96 out of 100
||9.2 out of 10
||Sep 30, 2002
||87 out of 100
||Oct 15, 2002
||84 out of 100
||83 out of 100
||Jan 25, 2004
||8.3 out of 10
|Game Over Online
||Aug 04, 2003
||83 out of 100
|Adrenaline Vault, The (AVault)
||Oct 21, 2002
||Dec 14, 2003
||14 out of 20
||3 out of 10
One of the in-game manuscripts depicts a dragon and a url encoded in some runic alphabet. Upon decoding
, you get the address www.valaraukar.de
, which links to graphics designer Marian Arnold's
The 'Polymorph' spell is designed to transform an opponent into a harmless creature, such as a frog or a rabbit. After the transformation, you can easily kill the opponent. But try this: Polymorph a member of the Black Ring at your first encounter. For example, he/she is now a frog. Beat the frog and he/she will, as usual, escape. When Janus later summons his allies in a scripted scene, the polymorphed member will not appear in its normal form, but still as the frog, even when weeks have passed between those two encounters.
Information also contributed by
- On Janus's castle's roof, there's a skateboard, a ramp and fitting graffiti on the walls. You will need to use Elven sight to see it, though.
- On the second level under the Warrior's Guild in the Dark Forest, there's an open slate in the west wing. The cursor doesn't change, buy you can go down. In the small room below, you will find the Kaa Gent scroll. It's useless, but the name refers to AA Gent, a Belgian soccer team not far from the studios.
- In the Treasure Cave, there's a tombstone which reads: "The heart of all at Larian Studios go out to those who died or were bereft in such tragic circumstances in New York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania, on September 11th, 2001.
- Many early forum regulars found their nicknames included in the game.
- In Imp World, behind a flower patch, there's a note which reads: "Bronthion was here".
- The game contains a short sword called "Sting". It glows near orcs and dragons, an obvious reference to Lord of the Rings.
- The game has a magic carpet. To make it fly, you have to read the tag. It reads "Axeminster", the name of a carpet manufacturer in the United Kingdom.
- In the Farmlands, there a scroll with a poem tribute to Stephen King's IT: "Your hair is winter fire, Aventuris embers, My heart dwells there too. - Written by IT."
This entry to the MobyGames database was contributed by kbmb (399)
on Jan 04, 2003.