Not an American user?
DescriptionEVE Online is an online RPG which is set in a futuristic galaxy. The main focus of the game is open-ended space travel including combat, territorial control, trade and politics. In the beginning of the game, you create your character, choosing one of the available empires and races (EVE has no classes, anyone can learn any skill), and customizing the way the character looks. Then you are given a space ship, allowing you to begin exploring the game world. One of your main goals in the game is to upgrade your ship in order to be able to defeat space pirates and other players. Most items in the galaxy are player-made, and there is a robust economy. By obtaining money from mining, exterminating NPCs, or cunning market trading, you may also increase your character's skills (for example, Mining, Survey, Refining, Drone operation, weapons skills, and more). Unlike most other RPGs, leveling up does not depend on the amount of foes you have defeated, but requires you to train for a certain period of time, dependent on your stats. Training continues even while logged off.
- "星战前夜" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "EVE: The Second Genesis" -- Alternate title
Part of the Following Groups
- EVE Online series
- Gameplay feature: Mining
- Games made into books
- Genre: Simulation - Space trading and combat
- Merchant / Trade-oriented games
- Middleware: Simplygon
- Video games turned into board / card games
|A niche game that you'll love or hate||D Michael (221)|
|Eve Online is Freelancer on Crack||uttergentile (13)|
The Press Says
|Game industry News (GiN)||2005||90|
|Super Play||May, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|Fragland.net||Nov 14, 2003||86.4 out of 100||86|
|Gamesmania||Jul 15, 2003||84 out of 100||84|
|PC Gameplay (Benelux)||Jul, 2003||81 out of 100||81|
|Armchair Empire, The||Jun 22, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|IGN||Jun 23, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Aug 26, 2003||14 out of 20||70|
|Adrenaline Vault, The (AVault)||Jun 10, 2003||70|
|PC Gamer||Sep, 2003||55 out of 100||55|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Cover scans||3||MtFR (2143)
Jan 12, 2010
BugsAn update deployed on 5th December 2007 with premium graphics content managed to overwrite the base boot.ini file of Windows system, ruining the entire operating system. One day later the development team released an update to correct the issue.
DevelopmentNone of the original development team had worked in the gaming industry before starting on EVE Online.
Logged in usersEVE Online repeatedly broke its own record of concurrent accounts logged on to one server in a MMO Game. As of January 2008, it stands at 45,186.
MagazineSince 2005, EVE Online boasts its own official print magazine called EON. Sold via the official website the magazine is published every three months.
- 2003 – Best Graphics of the Year (PC)
Related Web Sites
- An Introduction to Eve Online -- IMG feature guide intended for beginning players and those interested in the game.
- As the Solar Systems Turn -- An Apple Games article, archived on the author's website, about the Macintosh version of EVE Online. The article provides a descriptive overview of the game with commentary from the game's Producer, Lína Ingvarsdóttir, in addition to an introduction to the races and background of the world of EVE, recommendations for other games the player might enjoy, and general system information (November, 2007).
- EVE Online -- Official Web Site
- Mac Gamer Interview -- The Mac Gamer interviews Associate Producer Arend Stührmann about the development and release of the Macintosh version of EVE Online (July 7th, 2008).
- NZMac Review -- A (largely) unscored review of the Macintosh version of the game by NZMac, a New Zealand Apple site (Jan. 15, 2010).
Mike Wallis (69) added EVE Online (Windows) on Aug 19, 2003
Other platforms contributed by Kabushi (114591)
Reynir Hardarson, Fridrik Orn Haraldsson, Torfi Frans Olafsson, Jon Pall Halldorsson, Johann Heidar Jonsson, Asgeir Jon Asgeirsson, Hjortur Bjarnason, Kari Gunnarsson Jr., Heidar Fridriksson, Ulfur Chaka KarlssonGame Design:
Kjartan Pierre Emilsson, Thorolfur Beck Kristjonsson, Hrafnkell Smari Oskarsson, Reynir Hardarson, Huni Hinrichsen (TomB), Kari Gunnarsson Jr., Hjortur BjarnasonProgramming:
Hilmar Veigar Petursson, Matthias Gudmundson, Richard M. Tew, Esteban U. C. Castro, Mitthias Asgeirsson, Adalsteinn Runar Ottarsson, Jorundur Matthiasson, Jon Thoroddsen