🐳 Moby v2024.06.07

Forums > Suggestions > [utility software]

Thibault Droulers (86) on 3/27/2023 11:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I would like to know if you are interested in "software". Like the ones in journal page creation: https://download.abandonware.org/magazines/Tilt/tilt_numero043/TILT%20043%20-%20page067.JPG

thank you for your reply.

vedder (71199) on 3/27/2023 11:48 AM · Permalink · Report

No, MobyGames only documents video/computer games.

Plok (221065) on 3/30/2023 2:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Again, if it's not a game, it has no place here.

Thibault Droulers (86) on 3/30/2023 2:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I suspected it, but I had my doubts. Thank you for this quick response.

Rwolf (23449) on 3/31/2023 9:57 PM · Permalink · Report

The only case when it is allowed as far as I know, is when it is included with some actual games collection, but then it should just be a brief mention of any other included items in that bundle.

Kayburt (32676) on 6/27/2023 9:26 AM · Permalink · Report

What qualifies as a game is a software that has challenge, rules and objectives. All together they make up gameplay. If none of those exist as is the case for utility software, then it does not belong here.

Danfer (33513) on 6/27/2023 1:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Still too vague as a definition, excel could also be categorized as a video game by following it

Kayburt (32676) on 6/28/2023 7:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Another point is that an application has to have a game-related genre such as action or sports to qualify. But then you have borderline games that fit into the educational genre with their own sub-genre “word processing”. If “Mario Teaches Typing” counts as a game, can the same be said for “Microsoft Word”. Not necessarily. The former has a score count and a way to win and lose. The latter has neither of those characteristics and is not restricted by any game rules, just the number of tools you can utilize to produce a word document.

Winning and losing might also not be a final characteristic to determine a game. There are adventure games where you can’t die or reach a dead end, and therefore cannot lose such as “Day of the Tentacle”. And there are continuous games with no real ending or victory, you just win levels. In utilities, you don’t really have anything to lose or win in the way it works.