🤔 What game had the working title "Quiver"? (answer)

Forums > Suggestions > Contribution points for money!

peterx (376) on 5/22/2023 2:04 PM · Permalink · Report

For big fans of this website there should be a way to donate X amount of dollars for Y amount of contribution points. This would give another source of income for Atari / MobyGames and would make sure the website will stay alive for a long long time that is everyones interest here!

(Also for money contributors this would give instant unlimited access to game browsing that has some artifical limits now, that was not the case in V1 Moby..)

Cavalary (11446) on 5/23/2023 1:42 AM · Permalink · Report

That'd be REALLY messed up...

👻

OooOOOoOo

[ post deleted ]

peterx (376) on 5/23/2023 8:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah that is a good idea, but there should be a minimal tangible "reward" too for donators. Getting unlimited access for game browsing is not so difficult to reach anyway, so rewarding those who donate would be a great incentive for people.

(Faster approval times would be even better, but waiting for months or even a year to get something done... :(

Cavalary (11446) on 5/23/2023 2:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Something additional in the API might make sense, and better support in using it, direct access to full res images without needing to ask, maybe that unlimited database access you mention without any other requirements, but anything that'd pit donors against contributors would destroy whatever's left of the purpose and meaning of this place.

peterx (376) on 5/23/2023 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree with you!

Specifically I meant about the "page 50" or "page 100" limit that was created in V2 MobyGames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/sort:title/page:51/ This would be a nice reward lifting any such limits if you donate, yeah I know it can be lifted with enough contributions but it takes ages with the current approval times...

Kayburt (32360) on 5/25/2023 12:17 PM · Permalink · Report

According to policies, data in Mobygames is for non-commercial use and the work here is voluntary based and not done for profit. I don’t think cash rewards are the most suitable ways to prompt contribution. Mind you I have seen monetary bounty rewards on GameFAQs, but that’s a completely separate site.

peterx (376) on 5/25/2023 12:25 PM · Permalink · Report

There would be NO downside at all for those who do not donate. It's just another option to earn contribution points nothing else and this is also good for MobyGames finances/longevity.

Rwolf (22867) on 5/25/2023 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I think we had some sort of patreon-style donations on the old site, that only showed as some sort of 'medal' added with the user icon, no points/xp. (Plus a warm fuzzy feeling) With a major company as owner now, I think MobyGames still need information contributions for the database more than monetary handouts.

peterx (376) on 5/25/2023 4:30 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm totally agree with you, but I don't see why would information contributors would suddenly stop contributing if others (or the same person) can give money for contribution points to overcome these stupid page limits.

Btw. I don't think contribution points matter at all for contributors, me too, I don't care how many points I have, it's the good feeling that I add something to make Moby database even better.

But one thing what I care and it's annoying that now there are artifical limits like page 50, page 100 that was never present in V1 Moby, it's not about the usefulness of this but the principle that no other major database websites I know have something like this... if approvals would happen MUCH faster than months and years this would not be a problem.

Rwolf (22867) on 5/25/2023 7:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree that the artificial limits are annoying; there should be better ways to limit scrapers or adress large lists like these. But I'm not involved in the sites coding, and I doubt I could do much there anyway.

Gouken (5173) on 10/5/2023 1:30 AM · Permalink · Report

The contribution points should only serve a particular function, which is to reward contributors. This should never be messed up by donations. That would completely change the dynamic of the website, which was built for many years. Most likely would damage its reputation.

With that said, donators should be rewarded differently. A badge as already suggested, or priority API calls. There are many ways to do that. I think there could be a separate page showing donations, and the biggest ones on the top. Sort of like a leaderboard.

But please don't mess with the contribution points!

Tythesly (12579) on 10/9/2023 5:39 AM · Permalink · Report

Trade money to earn contribution points.... nah I think I will stick to hard work.

Contribution points are supposed to show how much you've contributed to the websites game database. Are you trying to get your name on the leaderboards using pay to win tactics 🤣

Shawn0131 (3) on 10/12/2023 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

The vast majority of people that would donate money would do so only to hit 50 points to unlock the full site, so the people that are actually doing the real contributing would still be on top of the leaderboards. I'm sure there are millionaires somewhere that are willing to prove me otherwise, but either way, this is way too high quality of a site to limit its users in the way they are currently doing now.

Tythesly (12579) on 10/12/2023 1:29 PM · Permalink · Report

The reason it is such a high quality site IS because of the limitations and system they have in place. And honestly earning 50 points is so easy.

WONDERなパン (16778) on 10/16/2023 7:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Seeing as a simple piece of cover art could potentially sit months in a queue before even getting looked at is a good example of how a "simple 50 points" can end up taking a very long time to get to if you aren't interested in contributing quite a few submissions across multiple categories & platforms. If someone was working on a project (especially something with a short time frame, like collegiate/doctorate needs) this could be a rather frustrating and costly delay.

I'm not in favor of trading money for points, but I wouldn't be opposed to a MobyPro subscription coming with the unlock. At least something to discuss/consider.

peterx (376) on 10/17/2023 8:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Very good points thank you!

Evolyzer (21856) on 10/20/2023 2:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Maybe it could be combined with the upcoming MobyPro or API access?