Forums > News > In Review - February '11

Kartanym (12418) on 3/1/2011 12:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Time for a recap of the past month's major events, starting with the most obvious one:

• The Nintendo 3DS has launched to sell out numbers in Japan, which means it's now less than a month before it reaches the rest of the world. I've had some hands on time with it recently and can proudly report, it should be a success. Keep an eye out for the 3DS platform addition to our database real soon.

• Speaking of the very website I love and bow down to every morning (grovel, grovel), so far only one user has surpassed 3000 points for the current year, that being loveable rouge me3D31337. But who can catch Sciere? A question for the ages, folks.

• Mortal Kombat, the beat 'em up that keeps on ripping spleens, has been banned in Australia. The upcoming reboot was deemed too violent for the poorly conceived ratings system that doesn't include an R18+ category. Being an Aussie, it's a tough pill to swallow, but we're fighting for the ratings system to get a major overhaul.

• Sometimes it's hard keeping a secret. EA let slip the new Command & Conquer early by unleashing its website, then promptly taking it down when it realised it was too soon ... before uploading it again to appease fans (more than likely). Rockstar and THQ licensed a number of new website addresses, which has everyone thinking 'Grand Theft Auto V'. And finally, Bioware updated the recently release Mass Effect 2 on PS3, unwittingly including new trophy details for a DLC pack that hasn't been announced as yet.

• February marked the 25th anniversary of everyone's favourite young, green costumed, sword and shield wielding alter ego of Frodo Baggins. Yup, The Legend of Zelda turned 25, and what a good year it will be for the franchise, with two key titles to be launched this year on both Wii and 3DS, and no doubt more to come.

Did I miss anything? Shout out in the comments section and let us know your most interesting tidbit of the month. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a 3DS shrine to design. What do you think, red wallpaper? Or blue?

beetle120 (2415) on 3/1/2011 3:40 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kartanym wrote--] * Mortal Kombat, the beat 'em up that keeps on ripping spleens, has been banned in Australia. The upcoming reboot was deemed too violent for the poorly conceived ratings system that doesn't include an R18+ category. Being an Aussie, it's a tough pill to swallow, but we're fighting for the ratings system to get a major overhaul. [/Q --end Kartanym wrote--]

They should of waited, R18+ coming soon (I hope). But I don't they are going to retroactively un-ban games.

[Q --start Kartanym wrote--] I have a 3DS shrine to design. What do you think, red wallpaper? Or blue? [/Q --end Kartanym wrote--] Aqua Blue with Cosmos Black, and make it shiny.