Forums > News > In Review - May '11

Kartanym (12418) on 6/6/2011 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess I could go on about the Sony downtime again, but we should all be aware of that story by now, perhaps a little tired of it. So let's consider a few other key moments from the past month.

The ramp up to this years E3 expo in LA started a little early. We're already aware that Nintendo is set to unleash a new home console, rumours swirling over a touch screen control system, HD visuals, a coffee plunger peripheral ... what? It's called Project Cafe! It has to have one, right?

The NGP will also be in full force, there's already a list of launch titles and video's floating around, but expect more to be confirmed. Meanwhile, questions still remain over what Microsoft will announce. Some say they could be waiting in the wings with their own new console, others suggest it could be their worst expo ever...

The big releases have continued on from Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat, with many more sequels (The Witcher 2 for example), new franchises (Brink) and another handful of GOTY contenders (including LA Noire. Speaking of, have you played it in black and white?)

To MobyGames news, and we're looking for some new feature articles. If you have an idea, or want to contribute, let us know by submitting or posting on the forums. I'd also suggest reading over some of the classic submissions from yesteryear if you haven't before, there's some great reads.

Watch out for a full E3 wrap here on MG in the coming days, and keep those contributions coming.

vedder (70970) on 6/6/2011 7:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't have much to say, just want to applaud the initiative to have these monthly wrap-ups. Keep it up!

Kartanym (12418) on 6/7/2011 1:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks Vedder :)

On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for other kinds of news items (not feature articles, mind, but smaller bit pieces to keep the MG family entertained), let them be known, and don't hesitate to write one up yourself :)

chirinea (47508) on 6/6/2011 8:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Something that went unnoticed for most of the civilized world is that Zeebo, the download only console released in Brazil and Mexico so far, has died. Qualcomm abandoned the ship and all Zeebo Interactive Studios' employees were fired. I'm thinking about writing an article about the rise and fall of the Zeebo.

Sciere (930919) on 6/6/2011 8:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Good idea, I'd love to read that. Its exposure has been limited internationally, if you hadn't brought it up as a platform here, I'd probably still wouldn't know about it.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 6/6/2011 10:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Good idea[/Q --end Sciere wrote--] Seconded.

Is sales data for the games available?

chirinea (47508) on 6/6/2011 11:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Unfortunately, no. Zeebo Inc. was always a bitch when it came to giving any kind of info, be it about sales figures or new releases.

Kartanym (12418) on 6/7/2011 1:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember when that was announced, was wondering what happened to it. Write it up, I'd be interested to read.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 6/7/2011 11:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kartanym wrote--] To MobyGames news, and we're looking for some new feature articles. If you have an idea, or want to contribute, let us know by submitting or posting on the forums. I'd also suggest reading over some of the classic submissions from yesteryear if you haven't before, there's some great reads. [/Q --end Kartanym wrote--]

I'm working on a comprehensive guide to cleaning games\controlers\systems, and a history of music games article. I've been trying to do these forever, but I've finally got time now. I think I'll have the cleaning guide finished in about a week.