šŸ³ Moby v2024.06.07

Forums > News > Moby v2023.03.30 Release

MobyReed (386) on 3/31/2023 3:59 PM · Permalink · Report

We've integrated the Amazon and eBay price APIs, so we can now retrieve and display game pricing data. Over the coming weeks and months more and more games will get filled out (as of this writing there are 24,677 games with prices).

You can find pricing info on game pages (example) when available. This data will also be added to game collections soon, so you'll be able to get an idea of your collection's value, most valuable game, and other neat stuff!

v2023.03.30 update log:

• Added game price functionality for Amazon and eBay
  • Added support for adding patches to releases
  • Added review score type stats to critic pages when they have more than 1 type (example)
  • Added link to edit cover group when editing covers
  • Credit submission form optimization
  • Tooltips now support HTML
  • Fixed editing attributes with images
  • Fixed search query encoding
  • Fixed comment counts on news items
  • Fixed display of entity log with no credits associated
  • Fixed display of entities on credits submission preview
  • Fixed some broken URL redirects
  • Fixed editing descriptions on old WIP games
  • Show threads with unread posts first in forum
  • Don't add entity log entry if person has no credits
  • Misc. UI polish, approval tool updates, backend fixes, optimizations

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (575929) on 3/31/2023 4:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I see that there is now a "This is a Patch" checkbox available, nice.....

new BUG: adding new release info to an existing release info (like i want to do here: Fire Dragon Fist Master Xiaomei https://www.mobygames.com/game/186447/fire-dragon-fist-master-xiaomei/ ) NOW FORCES the new release to be a patch

So adding normal release info now is impossible......

(adding a new release by cloning OR forgoing cloning and just adding thing manually -> either way it forces a normal release into ticking the "this is a patch" box..... )

Plok (221065) on 4/1/2023 5:48 PM · Permalink · Report

It can be bypassed by ticking and unticking the patch tickbox for some reason...

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (575929) on 4/1/2023 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Cool, but NOT correct... Thnx :P

Tracy Poff (2095) on 4/4/2023 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I've tried a few ways, and I'm not seeing this at all. If I go to https://www.mobygames.com/game/186447/fire-dragon-fist-master-xiaomei/releases/ and click the green plus, then pick Windows it takes me to https://www.mobygames.com/contribute/version/186447/windows/, and there I see by default a blank release with the patch box unchecked, countries available to be selected, etc. And from local testing, adding a version that way adds a regular version, not a patch. Same if I clone or click the add a new release button. What exactly is happening for you?

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (575929) on 4/5/2023 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

When there is a release already available and pressing the PLUS button you get a blank release with patch box unchecked... that is correct. When going in for cloning on the release page or adding a new release from the contribution page (both of these pathways

i want to clone the release and add a new date / country, cause that's why it's for (makes it easier). I delete the blank release and press clone, so a new filled-in release appears, i change the country / date / put in the source at the bottom for it and press submit.

• i press delete to remove the blank release-date info, cause otherwise cloning would add a filled-in version underneath the blank version

in red appears, just above the source box, "The patch checkbox is required."

Tracy Poff (2095) on 4/13/2023 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

This will be fixed in the next release.

Rwolf (23449) on 3/31/2023 9:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Merging two developer id:s with pending submissions seem to remove the red banner indicating pending submissions (for the devid merged into at least). The pending submissions still remain in the approver page for the devid, so it's not disappearing completely. Possibly this could affect other merged items too?

PS. I looked at the Amazon and eBay links for games; it seems Amazon only list childrens games now? The price check/search resulted in completely irrelevant items. On eBay, the price check found the title (one item among a page of near misses) but did not separate used/new items in the result, both price check links gave me the same listings.

Tracy Poff (2095) on 4/4/2023 10:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Merging two developer id:s with pending submissions seem to remove the red banner indicating pending submissions (for the devid merged into at least). The pending submissions still remain in the approver page for the devid, so it's not disappearing completely. Possibly this could affect other merged items too?

The only box like that for developers is the one that indicates the developer is not yet approved, so if you merge a pending developer into an approved one, of course the box goes away. There's currently no display for pending corrections, bio, etc., on developers, but there probably should be, same as for games. I'll add this to my todo list.

PS. I looked at the Amazon and eBay links for games; it seems Amazon only list childrens games now? The price check/search resulted in completely irrelevant items. On eBay, the price check found the title (one item among a page of near misses) but did not separate used/new items in the result, both price check links gave me the same listings.

I think amazon still lists a normal selection of games. Though I can't speak to how they order results. eBay links do just go to the product overview page--no point linking to an individual auction that might end shortly, I think, and the price we display for ebay is an approximation, since different auctions will naturally close at different prices.

You can add amazon ASINs and ebay product IDs to releases as product codes (so e.g. a greatest hits release can link to a different ASIN than the original version), and if we've automatically associated a game version with the wrong ASIN (it's done based on UPC, but amazon isn't always right), then those can be rejected as usual and the price data will reflect the changes.

Foxhack (32098) on 4/2/2023 4:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm still unable to see my WIP and approval notifications.

I suspect this might be a permissions issue since I apparently have access to a moderation queue which also errors out. Since I was an admin / mod at one point.

JimmyA (9938) on 4/3/2023 11:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

WIP blocks editing "You do not have permission to edit this object." You cannot even change some ports of own submissions that are still waiting for approval.

Tracy Poff (2095) on 4/4/2023 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

What kind of items are you seeing this on? If you pull something from the queue, you should be able to edit it and resubmit. If you give me an example, I'll try to fix this ASAP.

JimmyA (9938) on 4/5/2023 10:02 AM · Permalink · Report

An approver put a release info into WIP that I submitted for apporval as he wanted me to add an information. That was not possible. I had to abandon that and send a new release info.

Tracy Poff (2095) on 4/19/2023 7:25 PM · Permalink · Report

This was caused, I believe, by the release info having product codes attached. The right thing to do is automatically WIP the codes along with the release info, so you can edit them if needed. This error will be fixed in the next update.

Tracy Poff (2095) on 4/4/2023 10:15 PM · Permalink · Report

You can't see this page? What is happening?

Foxhack (32098) on 4/5/2023 3:01 AM · Permalink · Report

"An unexpected error occurred." and a glitched GIF of I Am Error.

I can see a 10 with an exclamation point inside a box, and "33 WIP" to the right of it. Clicking on either takes me to that page you linked to, and it errors out.

And this has been happening since the new redesign went live.

Tracy Poff (2095) on 4/12/2023 9:55 PM · Permalink · Report

You submitted a platform for a game and it was purged from the DB before you saw the notification, so now the system is confused about what to show you. This should be fixed in the next update.

Foxhack (32098) on 4/7/2023 3:25 AM · Permalink · Report

One other thing, I submitted a couple of people to existing credits. I was able to add them fine. I now have a "1 Pending" note, but if I click on it I get the same error. Whee...

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (575929) on 4/2/2023 9:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I believe the "this month" leaderboard isn't updating properly

joicrawu (80) on 4/3/2023 6:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hi there, great update as well!

IĀ“ve noticed that review score type stats is missing certain stat types. There are different (albeit uncommon but certainly not negligible) systems:

Numeric out of 1000, 100, 10, 5, 20, 40, etc...

But also inverted, as in 1/6 being the highest score, and other examples. These inversions to the norm are also present with stars. Stars are also sometimes out of 10, not 5.

A great example is Nintendo Life, whose 1 star out of 10 represents their highest score.

As far as IĀ“m aware, letter grades are always the same.

Are these other score type stats going to be included?

Are you guys planning on adding a browsable list of all Critic Sources?

Thank you for everything!

MobyReed (386) on 4/7/2023 11:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Yep and yep.

joicrawu (80) on 4/8/2023 1:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Great!

joicrawu (80) on 4/3/2023 6:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh and I forgot.

Would it be possible to have (optional if you will) the critic scores as they were in the old site (converted out of 100)? Or at least display them out of 100 right next to the original scores?

Thanks very much for all your amazing work (and I mean that).

Bozzly (1107) on 4/3/2023 10:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I too would like those back. I believe it's better if the critic scores are shown in 0-100. It makes comparison easier.

Also, I wish I could add line spaces when submitting a critic review, and I would like the line spaces in some of the critic reviews I submitted and got approved before restored. I wonder why I can add line spaces in forum posts, but not in critic reviews?

MobyReed (386) on 4/7/2023 11:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, that should be working. We'll take a look.

And will add the normalized % for critic scores.

Infernos (44622) on 4/5/2023 12:29 PM · Permalink · Report

For promo art & screenshots; when are users gonna be able to view the full resolution images again? Currently most of the wallpapers on the site are useless as the max width seems to be set at 1200. So basically only 1024x768 & 800x600 and lower res wallpapers remain intact, everything else has been resized.

MobyReed (386) on 4/8/2023 12:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Soon!