☕ Drink your coffee or tea with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > News > New Year's resolutions 2024

chirinea (47508) on 1/4/2024 3:11 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I hope it is not too late to wish a Happy New Year and ask again what are your personal goals for 2024, MobyGames or gaming in general related? Here's our resolutions for last year. Last year was very special for us as the new website was launched. Let us know what are your plans for this year.

Serrated-banner9 (2793) on 1/4/2024 5:08 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Recently got into Steam after a few years of being interested so i want to catch up on some windows exclusive games to play and contribute here, also want to make sure that my gaming time is split evenly so no console is left in the dust while i am playing everything else (looking at you Wii U/Wii). Also to reduce my Steam wishlist which is about 160 something games already though granted a lot of them are from the same series or dev.

Speaking of this site, I still got a hell of a backlog to contribute here including new games, credits, groups etc (heck i made a youtube playlist last month of credits i need to add and it's already bloomsed to 33 videos already which i will do at some point) so i plan to cut that backlog down significantly. Also want to focus on Windows and IOS games as there are a lot of them missing in the database. Finally i want to submit credits for a bunch of 2K Sports games for some reason.

Over on PSNP i plan to continue doing what i currently do (playing games, trophy hunting, participating in events etc) and also to get my third attempt at a trophy checklist off the ground and look into becoming a member of the CRT (cheater removal team) as there are still a lot of cheater to catch (looking at you unauthorised custom servers users). Also want to join PocketPSN at some point and explore the place which will be done eventually.

Finally a couple of Misc things like reading more, enjoying life to the fullest etc. Have a happy 2024 people :)

Cantillon (77928) on 1/4/2024 6:23 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I am copying mine from previous year :D

Some time ago I contributed some credits to an older game, and noticed some different developers were lumped together into the same entry.

I never realized, but once I started to investigate a bit more, this seemed to be the case for a lot of other profiles as well. So last year, I mostly performed cross-checking, comparing developer profiles with their Facebook and LinkedIn profiles, and personal websites.

I am still having fun doing this, so I will continue this work in 2024.

hoeksmas (151278) on 1/4/2024 9:18 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I've discovered that Mobygames absolutely sucks for the BBC Micro/Electron, and I now have probably 1000+ games to add for the system.

After that I have a few weird systems to add stuff for like the TI 99/4a and Acorn Atom.

Also, I've been studying Japanese from my wife about an hour a day for the last 18 months, so maybe in a few years I can start adding old Japanese games.

Plok (216386) on 1/5/2024 1:37 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Actually finish more games. I'm embarrassed at the number of games I've started but not completed.

Koterminus (250207) on 1/5/2024 2:29 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Ha, last year I said that I would be contributing less in 2023. That aged poorly. I didn't finish my novel, but I did meet my fiancée, so it wasn't all bad.

On MobyGames, I spent much of 2023 trying to bridge the gap between our coverage of visual novels and VNDb's coverage. We currently list 4755 VNs whereas VNDb lists 47199, so we are still well behind. With so many VNs being released all the time, it's near impossible to catch up, so rather than try to single-handedly keep pace with a database that's being edited daily by dozens of people in real-time, I think I'll just be happy with getting our number up a bit more, maybe focus on some of the big ones from the early 2000s that are still missing, and add credits for them. I want to hit that 5000 milestone this year.

Lampbane (21936) on 1/9/2024 1:42 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

In 2023 I worked on making sure the site's list of Google Doodles and other Google-related games was complete. I also added a lot of AR stuff.

In 2024 I'd like to:

And for myself personally, to play and finish more games.

vedder (70970) on 1/9/2024 6:32 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

In 2023 I wrapped up documenting all pre-1980s games I could find info on. In 2024 I'll probably be to preoccupied with other things in life to have much time for MobyGames. At least for the first 6 months. But I do write a platform description every now and then.

Tim Janssen (102584) on 1/12/2024 10:09 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Last year I started adding credits for new videogames which I enjoy immensely. They tell so much about a company's culture: is everything done in-house? Is it bureaucratic? Is everyone treated as equal? For 2024 I will continue this activity.

This year I am thinking about selling a part of my collection of videogame magazines that are also digitized/available on the Internet. I have been collecting them since 1986 and the pile has just become too big. I will keep classic Eighties mags like 'Commodore User' and 'Zzap!' but my entire 'Games TM' and Amiga magazines collections have to go. I also want to add missing reviews for 2014 of magazine 'Gameplay (Benelux)'.

Finally, I haven't booted up my PS4 Pro for months, but I still want to grab screenshots for some obscure games I was able to finish like 'Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood', 'Here they Lie' and 'Wonderboy Returns: Rmix'.

Sciere (930919) on 1/12/2024 9:17 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

You've certainly given credits a big boost the past year. For a long time since forever we're finally keeping up again with most major releases.

Pedro Ferreira (2643) on 1/16/2024 6:53 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Have been ill over the past year so didn't get to contribute much. Now want to spend this year contributing more and getting stuff approved.