Forums > News > So many laws it is practically anarchy.

nullnullnull (1463) on 2/8/2007 2:24 PM · Permalink · Report

c|net along with a flurry of other news sources is reporting that New York State Senator, and in my opinion legislative ding-dong, Carl Krueger, has announced plans to introduce a bill that would ban the use of electronic devices such as iPods, cell phones and PDAs while crossing major streets. No specific mention of handheld gaming, but I am sure it will be included.

"Joggers and bicyclists would have to limit their iPod use to city parks in which no street crossing would be involved."

I live in New York City. It is a chaotic, dangerous place. As crazy and as crowded as New York is there were only 31 pedestrian and 6 bicycle fatalities in Manhattan last year. Many of the safety laws go completely unenforced. It is illegal to talk on your cellphone without a hands-free device while driving. It is illegal for a pedestrian to cross in the middle of the block or against the light. However, millions do this and more with impunity each and every day.

What possibly could this law do? My guess is that it will be one more silly, trivial, unenforceable law further propelling us towards complete chaos.

Reborn_Demon (127) on 2/8/2007 3:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I totally agree. This bill is crazy, considering most people are smart enough not to use electronics whilst crossing major roads - and besides, like you said, it will most probably go without enforcement. However, the bill that makes it illegal to cross in the middle of the street is very weird. Here in the majority of England, it would be illegal NOT to cross from the middle of the street, because most streets are deserted places most of the day (depending on where you live, of course).

D Michael (222) on 2/8/2007 3:22 PM · Permalink · Report

That is kind of silly.

As a pedestrian you should be able to use whatever electronics you wish when crossing the street or otherwise. As a driver however, I believe you shouldn't be able to use cell phones and the like.

The difference is that being a pedestrian you are putting yourself at risk, while being a driver you are putting others at risk.

festershinetop (9572) on 2/8/2007 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

In the UK its illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving unless its handsfree. You can get an on the spot fine and points on your licence.

This has caused an even bigger problem though in that people still talk on their mobile without hands free but they are also looking around to see if there are any police about which further adds to the distraction as they are having to Consentrate on driving, talking and scanning for police.

xroox (3895) on 2/8/2007 6:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Some are also drinking alcohol at the same time, which further complicates things. In all seriousness, a few months back I saw someone talking on a mobile and trying to eat a pasta salad at the same time.

Riamus (8480) on 2/8/2007 11:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I agree that some people really should not be allowed to have a cell phone while driving because they are really bad drivers to begin with and the distraction does create problems. However, I admit that I drive while talking on a cell phone (without hands free because I never can hear properly with those things) yet I have absolutely no problem staying focused on my driving. Some people just aren't good at doing two things at once --- like the old joke about a person not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

As for eating while driving... um... well... I... uh... that is.... Ok, so I do that occasionally as well (and I drink soda regularly while driving), but I make sure to have complete control of my driving when doing so. Feel free to disagree with my ability to do that, but I am safe and wouldn't do it when I'm in a crowded area with lots of cars or pedestrians. :)

D Michael (222) on 2/9/2007 1:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah and if you ask anyone that uses a cell phone while driving they'll say the exact same thing about their driving as you have about yours Riamus.

Riamus (8480) on 2/9/2007 2:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Will they? I don't sit there for 1-2 minutes after a light turns green before realizing it's green because of talking on the phone. I don't try hitting people while turning with one hand and slipping because of the phone. :)

D Michael (222) on 2/9/2007 3:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not saying that you do those things. I'm saying that people who talk on the phone while driving are oblivious to how bad they're actually doing. My point was that I don't know of anyone that talks on the cell phone and says, "man my driving sucks when I do this". Rather, everyone thinks they drive well while on the cell phone, regardless of whether it's true or not.

Indra was here (20752) on 2/8/2007 8:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start D Michael wrote--] The difference is that being a pedestrian you are putting yourself at risk, while being a driver you are putting others at risk. [/Q --end D Michael wrote--]

Nicely said.

Maw (832) on 2/9/2007 1:18 AM · Permalink · Report

"This bill is crazy, considering most people are smart enough not to use electronics whilst crossing major roads"

Believe me...all it takes is one stupid person.

D Michael (222) on 2/9/2007 3:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Here's something I saw that I just remembered;

I'm standing outside of a local convenient store, having a smoke while I wait for my friend to finish up inside. I'm standing by the road and I watch as a guy on a cell phone is getting ready to cross a busy street with cars moving at about 40 mph. He starts walking, and before I can even utter a sound the situation is over. He wasn't hit, but it was close, inches, if that. The driver was on a cell phone too. Ever seen that Green Day video where the guy walks across the street with cars almost crashing into him? It was a lot like that.

Here's the funny thing though; neither the driver nor the pedestrian were even aware of one another. The car blazes through the intersection at 40 mph, barely missing the pedestrian crossing in front of him, and the pedestrian casually strolls in front of the car, not speeding up to get out of the way. Neither party were aware of the other at all, and just went on about their business with one walking, one driving, having never known just how close it was.