Forums > MobyGames > Netflix games

Lampbane (22356) on 7/20/2020 2:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I searched the forums and didn't find any mention, so I'm curious:

(EDIT I found this thread that didn't get very far)

What are the thoughts on adding the Netflix games? I personally wouldn't classify them as say, browser games, since they can be accessed by almost any device that can play Netflix -- smart TVs, game consoles, most streaming players, mobile devices. It feels like Netflix itself should be considered the platform. But what are your thoughts?

There are currently nine titles. I suppose a case could be made to just add them on the platforms where they could be played. The only excluded platforms are Apple TV and Windows Apps.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 7/20/2020 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I would document them here as Browser games, then split them off once saner heads prevail and open up a "streaming services" platform. They do deserve to be documented and the current framework does not yet offer a "best fit". Filing them under a second-best might force the issue.

Lampbane (22356) on 7/20/2020 6:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Noted, I'll probably try a test case this week.

Also, I guess I have my answer for what to do with Snapchat games.

Sciere (930964) on 7/21/2020 7:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

There is no perfect fit, but I propose adding Netflix as a new platform on the Streaming platform group umbrella we already have on file (like Stadia). Netflix streams the content to a large group of devices, such as apps, browsers, consoles. I think it fits best that way. Similarly, games made available through XCloud, PlayStation Now or GeForce NOW no longer need to be tied to the platform they are played on. The takeaway is that you stream the content to your device and the specific type of device for the consumer is no longer that relevant. They also belong to the Streaming group.

The Browser platform predates that concept largely through its "online only" games that are not tied to a specific device, but require a specific application (the browser).

I'm not familiar with adding new platforms, so perhaps Kabushi, firefang, vedder or someone else can do that, through some more voices may need to be heard about this.

For Snapchat Games I'd say it is a bit different. They are tied to an app-only environment, so in that case I'd add them as Android / iPhone / iPad. In the past Facebook games got the Browser platform, but for Snapchat there simply isn't a browser platform. Another route, and future-proof, would be to create a new platform group called "App games" where the specific app is listed as a tech spec and we no longer need to worry about the platforms the app is available on. It would cover all games that are not available standalone, but only through an application where no browser option is available.

Lampbane (22356) on 7/21/2020 5:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, as per Pseudo_Intellectual's suggestion, I've submitted Bandersnatch under multiple platforms (browser, Roku, webOS, PS4, Xbox One, etc) which should at least initiate a discussion.

Sciere (930964) on 7/21/2020 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

All right, I've escalated it for now until it is resolved here.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 7/21/2020 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I wouldn't say that multiple platforms was my suggestion, but definitely casting a wider net will help to ensure you get attention sooner 8)

Lampbane (22356) on 7/21/2020 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I meant that I submitted it as per your suggestion, but under multiple platforms (as I've had stuff sent back because I didn't check off every platform). Better safe than sorry.

firefang9212 (81837) on 7/21/2020 8:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm in full support of just a "Netflix" platform as that is how we've been handing streaming services so far. In the case of the other services you mentioned, I don't know how XCloud will specifically operate so I don't know if that will require a platform. PlayStation Now will but ONLY for the PS3 games on the service, as those are the only ones that are streamed to my knowledge, the PS4 games part of the service just operates like Xbox Game Pass and the games have to be downloaded to the system. GeForce Now should not be a platform at all, as far as I know GeForce Now just allow you to stream certain games you own on Steam.

I am unaware of Snapchat games, I assume they operate similarly to games you can find on other messaging platforms like Discord, Telegram, and Slack. I'll leave the decision of how to handle those to those who are actually interested in documenting them.

Sciere (930964) on 7/21/2020 9:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You're right about the way GeForce Now works, I forgot about the ownership.

Patrick Bregger (303297) on 7/22/2020 8:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start firefang9212 wrote--]PlayStation Now will but ONLY for the PS3 games on the service, as those are the only ones that are streamed to my knowledge, the PS4 games part of the service just operates like Xbox Game Pass and the games have to be downloaded to the system. [/Q --end firefang9212 wrote--] I think the PC version of PS Now does stream everything.