Forums > MobyGames > Another MG ownership change?

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 11/26/2021 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Should I be surprised that there's nothing about this in the News sections or here on the forums?

I'm referring to the little update here:

Paris, France, November 23, 2021 at 6:00pm CET – Atari SA and its subsidiaries (the “Atari Group”), one of the world's most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers, today announced an up to US$3.5 Million strategic investment in Antstream Limited and a related option to purchase the assets of Mobygames, Limited, including the Mobygames website and database. The investment in Antstream Limited was made pursuant to a convertible loan agreement that can be converted into equity of Antstream Limited in a future financing, with an initial investment of US$500,000. The option to purchase the assets of Mobygames is at a purchase price of US$1.5 Million and may be concluded by the end of March, 2022.

...and this comment appended to last month's podcast about Mobygames, explaining the background (which also comes as news to me):

ADDENDUM: 19 OCT 2021. Since I published this episode, I've learnt that the retro game streaming service Antstream now owns a majority stake in MobyGames. Neither the terms of the sale nor the reasons nor even the fact that it happened have been acknowledged publicly by the company. My sources indicate this may have concluded some months ago, but a UK company filing suggests that the process likely began last year.

Now, I'll assume that this is old news to those of you on discord, but the discussions that go on there don't exactly get archived in a way that's accessible to the outside world. So it'd be nice to have some transparency here.

Flies in the 2010s, ants in the 2020s... what's up?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/26/2021 11:55 PM · Permalink · Report

It's well worth discussing, but really the only parties whose opinions matter probably aren't at liberty to chat much on the subject. Understandably we're all a bit gun shy after the Gamefly fiasco. If we make it through this round of murders and executions unscathed, I think it would make sense for us to look into somehow integrating with the Internet Archive, making it the custodian of our data. (And just imagine the synergy, if our entries lived on the same server as the Internet Arcade!)

Cavalary (11445) on 11/27/2021 1:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, apparently there was a little comment from Reed on Discord, say those who go there, I don't. And there is a thread, also just brought up by a user who stumbled into the info, on the approvers forum. But news? Heck, even now there's no official acknowledgement of the fact that MG is owned by Antstream, so what'd you expect? :/

Cavalary (11445) on 11/27/2021 3:22 PM · Permalink · Report

And yet, not only no notice here, but... check the footer. And the FAQ.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/28/2021 11:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Those things get updated about as often as the Bible does.

WONDERなパン (16491) on 12/3/2021 7:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Somewhere on the site, it suggests emailing Simon to become an approver or something to that effect.

HomiSite (429) on 12/1/2021 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

MobyGames' small Patreon creator page (no content for years) was put on pause today, so Patreons won't be charged anymore. Probably related to the owner change somehow.

Cavalary (11445) on 12/4/2021 2:18 AM · Permalink · Report

That's rather concerning. I mean, if things would continue as they are, a user/community-driven site, such support, however insignificant in value compared to running costs, would still be desired I'd think.