Forums > MobyGames > Episodic games in Mobygames ?

Ronald Diemicke (1181) on 10/11/2006 7:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey guys, Telltale is bringing out sam and max in a week or so and I'm getting all the stuff together now to get it into the database soon as we're allowed to. But it raises some intresting and unique questions... like how it should go in the database at all...

Basiclly, There will be 6 individual episodes and then a cd release with all of them together. Does each release count seperately? Should each episode have its own entry and then just have a group thats all of the games that are part of Season 1 of Sam and Max ? Or should we have one entry thats all of season 1 with remarks about each episode individually?

Also, is the release date the date its first available to anyone or the date its first available to purchase online to own or the date that you can purchase it in a store? (or the whole season?)

I think someone finally getting a series of episodic games out there raises some good questions and if we hammer out exactly how we're gonna do this now, we can avoid problems later on.

What does everyone think ?

Sciere (930967) on 10/11/2006 8:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Game entries are based on "what you can buy". Telltale's Bone episodes are listed as separate games, but the first compilation pack is listed as well:

Riamus (8480) on 10/11/2006 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah. If they are available to purchase separately and then as a compilation, then each episode, as well as the compilation (once released), should be included.

As for dates, all dates should be based on when the game is first available for purchase for commercial games, or first available to obtain for free games. If you can purchase it and download it before you can get it in stores, that is the date you should use rather than the store date. The dates are "release dates," not "store release dates." As such, it should be when the game is first officially released.

Corn Popper (69019) on 10/12/2006 12:25 AM · Permalink · Report

right and the store release date should be added separately as a new item because it'll have a UPC code and what not and so it would need to be associated to the store date and not the online release date

Corn Popper (69019) on 10/12/2006 12:33 AM · Permalink · Report

btw, we already have episodic games covered on the site... Commander Keen is one for example... which reminds me I need to change the titles of all of those.

Roedie (5239) on 10/24/2006 11:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Reading this made me wonder: does this mean that out of all these old Apogee platformers only the Commander Keen games are currently documented correctly? Games like Bio Menace, Secret Agent, Crystal Caves, Dark Ages, Monster Bash etc. all consist of three episodes (usually one shareware episode & two commercial ones), but in all these cases there's only one entry for the entire package.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 11/19/2006 1:17 PM · Permalink · Report

does this mean that out of all these old Apogee platformers only the Commander Keen games are currently documented correctly?

Quite likely. Best case scenario is that the entries that stand for "all episodes" right now can be revised to apply just to the shareware episode 1. (I recall Duke Nukem also has all its episodes entered as distinct entities... as for Secret Agent, Monster Bash, Monuments of Mars, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures, &c &c (to say nothing of all the Epic megagames released under similar schemes 8) I fear there is much revision ahead of us.)

Corn Popper (69019) on 11/19/2006 6:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I have to rename the Command Keen games... all messed up right now