Forums > MobyGames > Comics genre

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 11/26/2006 8:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I was looking through the comics genre and about half of them seem to be based on animated TV shows rather than comics. It will take a lot of contributing to remove all these. Many require considerable research.

Zovni (10504) on 11/26/2006 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

He's right... although the ones based off a cartoon that is in turn based on a comic should stay in the list.

Shoddyan (15006) on 11/27/2006 4:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ace of Sevens wrote--]I was looking through the comics genre and about half of them seem to be based on animated TV shows rather than comics. It will take a lot of contributing to remove all these. Many require considerable research. [/Q --end Ace of Sevens wrote--]

Agreed, the Comics Genre definition is: Denotes any game that uses characters or settings based off comic books (or strips). Examples: The Punisher, X-Men, etc.. However I do believe that people started using it for games from cartoons (before we had a gamegroup for that) as well as games that contain traditional elements or style of a comic book, (but aren't in fact based on an existing one) such as Comix Zone, Superhero League of Hoboken or Hopkins FBI. There's also a group that now exists which has games that were specifically inspired by Comic Books.

So it's obvious that the Comics genre needs a bit of cleaning, and possibly a new name or definition. Does anyone have any ideas on the handling of this?

Indra was here (20750) on 11/27/2006 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, you guys know what to do. For non approvers, send a correction. For interested approvers, time to go digging in wiki.

Zovni (10504) on 11/27/2006 10:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Geek force assemble! Go!

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 11/27/2006 11:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm all for a new name/definition. It doesn't make a lot of sense for movies, TV and books to be gamegroups, but comics to be a genre.

Roedie (5239) on 12/4/2006 11:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ace of Sevens wrote--]I'm all for a new name/definition. It doesn't make a lot of sense for movies, TV and books to be gamegroups, but comics to be a genre. [/Q --end Ace of Sevens wrote--]

Agreed, currently the "Comics Inspired Games" gamegroup covers the same ground (with the exception of Marvel & DC games) as the original definition of the "comics" genre did/does.

Multimedia Mike (20663) on 12/7/2006 1:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Perchance, does this game count?

Goosebumps: Attack of the Mutant

It's not based on an established comic series, but borrows heavily from the genre.