Forums > Game Talk > Trying to remember a game

Andy Parsons on 3/7/2009 1:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi all:

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I remember playing a game a long time ago. Although I don't remember the mechanics, the overall map was basically Civ 2 style cities and units. The game took place in the ancient Mediterranean and it had a very large map with many cities. I think you could play as any one of a number of different civilizations. Does anybody know the game I'm referring to? Sorry I can't think of more details. Thanks in advance.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/7/2009 1:43 AM · Permalink · Report

How long ago was "a long time ago", and what platform did you play it on - DOS? Windows? Other? - just to narrow the field a little :D

samsam12 (714) on 3/7/2009 3:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Colonization?

Andy Parsons on 3/7/2009 5:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure the game was either Windows 3.x or Windows 95, because it definitely had Windows-style menus. I know I played it in the last 10 years or so (so not -that- long ago) but the game was definitely older than that. I don't remember the graphics being as sophisticated as Civ 2.

It wasn't Colonization. It took place in antiquity and the map covered all around the Mediterranean. It was already populated with a bunch of cities. I remember the map being enormous.

vedder (71181) on 3/7/2009 8:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Legions?

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/7/2009 3:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Might be a good idea to look through the game browser, at Win 3.x strategy games, for instance (plus whatever else you can narrow it down by), and see if any titles ring a bell.

Indra was here (20750) on 3/7/2009 7:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Could be anything from Port Royale to Pirates. Er, did you mean Mediterranean or Carribean?

Some suggestions:
Machiavelli the Prince, High Seas Trader, Elisabeth I. er...which I vaguely remember occurs in the Mediterranean.

xroox (3895) on 3/7/2009 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

The Rise & Rule Of Ancient Empires?