Forums > Game Talk > Game Journal XIV: Tired of scrolling

vedder (70970) on 11/19/2017 6:45 PM · Permalink · Report

I though it was time for a new game journal!

Since my spare time will take a nose dive in the near future (my girl is expecting) I figured I'd focus my attention on those games in my backlog which I expected to like the most and not take a hundred hours to finish (I'm looking at you Europa Universalis IV and Witcher 3!).

I finished Tides of Numenera. It's lovely and highly recommended for those who loved Planescape Torment, or wanted to but couldn't get into it when they tried to play it years after the fact. I feel the difficulty was way too low, and it could've used some gameplay surprises further in to keep it fresh, but a great re-imagining of what made Planescape Torment great.

I've rushed through Uncharted 3. A solid game, but all-in-all very similar to its predecessor. Perhaps a bit more over the top. I felt maybe there were fewer platforming segments, but I might be wrong. Still don't care for the gun fights much, especially not with insta kill rockets. The guys with body armour are ridiculous as well. The story is nuts, but well told. In the end it's on par with part 2, but never really surprises. My favourite part was the on-foot chase through Yemen.

Now started on Dishonored 2. Only played through the intro so far, just arrived on a boat out of Dunwall. So far it's been very linear, but I expect this was just to get the story rolling.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 11/20/2017 9:27 PM · Permalink · Report

I strongly protest the typo in the thread title!

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 11/25/2017 9:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Since my last post I finished two games:

• Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers: a short behind-the-shoulder puzzle-platformer with - at least for me - unique mechanics. I had a lot of fun, but despite its shortness (two to three hours) some of its levels became a bit repetitive in the end. Still a recommendation from me.
  • Bulletstorm: This is the most satisfying shooter I have played in years. Normally I'm not the biggest gore fan, but here the blood and special death animations are just perfectly made. The most negative aspect were the frequent times I had to reload a checkpoint because of game-breaking bugs, especially during times sequences.

I also finished Ace Attorney Trilogy, but I think I already talked about that.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 11/27/2017 6:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

During my ongoing quest to try every unplayed game in my backlog, I reached a big one: Halo. That's supposed to be the great FPS everyone is talking about? I think I just finished the most boring cut-and-paste level I have ever seen in a FPS. I'm comparing it against earlier first-person shooters - Elite Force, NOLF, Half-Life - and so far I'm not impressed.

Terok Nor (42199) on 11/27/2017 6:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Play on at least Heroic difficulty or there's not much to the game. Halo is not renowned for its level design.

vedder (70970) on 11/28/2017 9:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Halo is super overrated. The level design was absolutely terrible for the most part. The AI and weapons were quite nice though. I'm sure it felt amazing on the consoles which were starved for decent FPS games, but compared to PC shooters at the time it was quite mediocre.

Later entries in the series did address the weak points though.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 12/11/2017 8:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm still continuing my quest to try out all potentially interesting unplayed games in my possession. I decided that playing mildly entertaining games is not a good use of my time and I want to stick to exceptional games. This project serves as groundwork to find out which games in my backlog I really want to play. And trying a lot of different games is fun in its own right, I guess I feel like that kid with the shareware CD in 1995...

I'm finished with PC retail, PC downloads without client (although I bought the current Humble Monthly and gained a few more DRM free downloads I need to try, too) and GOG: overall 25 games remain plus a few sequels. My favorite moments were the games I expected nothing from just to discover how interesting they are (Betrayal at Krondor and Geneforge, for example).

I additionally finished two games: The Shiva (not as good as the Blackwell series, but still good) and brilliant What Remains of Edith Finch.

Cavalary (11445) on 12/12/2017 12:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Expected nothing from BaK? Oy...
Sure keep fond memories of that one...

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 12/12/2017 4:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I meant in the sense that my personal tolerance for controls, UI, game design (especially RPGs) and graphics usually don't work well with games before 1998.

Cavalary (11445) on 12/13/2017 1:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, yeah. It is old, and not sure how I'd take to it now myself in terms of technical aspects and the lack of some ease of use features I got too used to.
Did play it in 2000 I think, so was several years old by then too, but quite a difference between now and then.

Actually been on my mind lately due to reading the first series of the cycle.

Simon Carless (1834) on 12/12/2017 8:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Since I've been traveling quite a lot, I've been playing Voez for Nintendo Switch on the road. It's a portable only (touchscreen) rhythm game from Taiwan, and the Switch version lacks some of the level progression of the original smartphone versions, but it does give you all 160 songs unlocked (!)

Having fun gradually completing them all - on Easy, I'm not a maniac - and really makes me want to make a Western rhythm game using electronic music, cos almost all rhythm games still use J-Pop, K-Pop & its derivatives...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 12/13/2017 7:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Wasn't that Harmonix's premise with Frequency, the prototype for Amplitude prototyping Guitar Hero? 8)

Simon Carless (1834) on 12/18/2017 2:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Yep, you're right, Frequency was that but it's not available on new console systems and nobody else has really come along with the kind of Western music I like - there's Neon FM but it's all very EDM/Beatmania crossover...

Adzuken (836) on 12/13/2017 5:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been playing The Elder Scrolls Online... and that's my life now.

I appreciate all the ways that it plays like a bigger but shallower mainline Elder Scrolls. I could live without all the modern conveniences like fast travel networks and random dungeon finders, as well as the modern inconveniences like the class structure and microtransactions, but there's enough flexibility that I can generally play it how I like. Like all MMO's, it's a huge time sink, though.

I also appreciate returning to Vvardenfell in the Morrowind expansion. The area is roughly (or perhaps exactly?) the same size as it was in Elder Scrolls III, but it looks a lot nicer and more detailed now. It's great to be able to explore the familiar terrain with my boyfriend in tow. It just feels weird walking into a town and not hearing "Wealth beyond measure, outlander," every time I walk by someone.

MediaCult (190) on 3/3/2018 6:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]I've been playing The Elder Scrolls Online... and that's my life now.

I appreciate all the ways that it plays like a bigger but shallower mainline Elder Scrolls. I could live without all the modern conveniences like fast travel networks and random dungeon finders, as well as the modern inconveniences like the class structure and microtransactions, but there's enough flexibility that I can generally play it how I like. Like all MMO's, it's a huge time sink, though.

I also appreciate returning to Vvardenfell in the Morrowind expansion. The area is roughly (or perhaps exactly?) the same size as it was in Elder Scrolls III, but it looks a lot nicer and more detailed now. It's great to be able to explore the familiar terrain with my boyfriend in tow. It just feels weird walking into a town and not hearing "Wealth beyond measure, outlander," every time I walk by someone. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

How do you play ESO? The dungeon finder and fast travelling are of course essential in order to upgrade your character somewhat fast, for end-game content and PVE stuff. I have two characters, one i "work on" for multiplayer-stuff, and one I play solely for the quests and lore (reading all books, doing everything nice and slowly). Good thing is that the harvest bag is shared between characters.

Adzuken (836) on 3/7/2018 5:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MediaCult wrote--] How do you play ESO? The dungeon finder and fast travelling are of course essential in order to upgrade your character somewhat fast, for end-game content and PVE stuff. I have two characters, one i "work on" for multiplayer-stuff, and one I play solely for the quests and lore (reading all books, doing everything nice and slowly). Good thing is that the harvest bag is shared between characters. [/Q --end MediaCult wrote--] I try to play ESO as much like a standard Elder Scrolls game as possible. I normally only use dungeons to quickly level my characters, running one once a day before settling back into quests and other distractions. Otherwise, I generally avoid quick travel, as I would in a mainline game, only using boats and carriages to get somewhere otherwise unreachable.

I've had two characters cap out. The first I only really use for crafting now, since her combat style needs severe tweaking. The second one is more capable in both a combat and healing role, so I typically quest with her.

I finally managed to pull from ESO's hold for now. I'll likely get back into it when the next expansion drops, but we'll see.

vedder (70970) on 12/17/2017 4:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I got a new Xbox One controller to replace the 360 one that was slowly losing all rubber coating on the sticks. So I figured I'd pick a controller game to play after having finished the excellent (but same old) Dishonored 2.

My first choice was Blackhole. That didn't last long. An exercise in frustration and not really my thing. I didn't just regret, but actually loathed having selected story mode. My god what an annoying garbage! The actual gameplay is fine and well thought through, but just not my thing.

Now started on Tomb Raider (2013). Which I'm enjoying much more than I expected!

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 12/24/2017 11:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm still busy with my project (latest positive surprise: Frontlines: Fuel of War), but I'm also playing a lot of The Crew lately. I got it for free some time ago and almost did not bother to try it, but it directly hooked me. I like the story (yes, its cliché, but I need a story as motivation), how the cars handle, the smooth progression and the variety. I definitely could do without the huge map, the MMO elements and the micro transactions, but so far I don't have a reason to complain. Definitely much better than Need for Speed: Undercover, which is my only racing reference point.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/1/2018 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Games I finished the last week:

• The Crew: My opinion did not change from above, just that I learned to hate the takedown missions.
  • Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt : It's a short freeware game with a distinct Undertale vibe (but made before it). Very charming and fun.

And three short games from Humble Monthly:

• Crescent Bay: OK, but both the mechanics (combining words to create a vision) and the narrative need some work.
  • Quiet City: Not sure what so say about it, when you get what you are supposed to do, its already over. More a slightly interactive tale than a game.
  • THOR.N : This one I liked a lot. The narrative was nice and nicely matched to the gameplay mechanics (basically a clicker variant). Playing it felt very rewarding which is the point.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/4/2018 8:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I just finished Uncharted 2 which positively surprised me - it is much, much better than the mediocre predecessor. I loved the script (a wonderful, over-the-top adventure story), the platforming, the quiet sections, the setpieces.

What I still did not like is the shooting. The smaller-scale encounters are fine, but the big battles add nothing. Granted, my gamepad aiming ability is practically non-existent, but I still feel the game would be better without those sections. Still a great game.

vedder (70970) on 1/4/2018 9:32 PM · Permalink · Report

My sentiment exactly. You'll like 3 as well probably. Did you play The Last of Us? It meets your requests for less shooting.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/4/2018 10:06 PM · Permalink · Report

I own The Last of Us, but I have not played it yet. It is definitely high on my to-do list, though!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 1/5/2018 6:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Last of Us was hardly non-stop shooting, but all the same getting good at shooting (economizing ammo use, etc) was a substantial and unavoidable part of it.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/11/2018 2:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Initially I had some fun with Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1. It has silly dialogue/plot (I like silly) and fast, turn-based combat (similar to classic JRPGs, but with an additional movement component). However, I quit after ten hours because the dialogue became stale and it became clear its all about item grinding. This game also has the visually most boring and uninspired dungeons I have seen in a long time.

Afterwards I played Geneforge and became instantly hooked. The writing and worldbuilding is superb and exploring the island was very interesting. Unfortunately the combat is too limited and consists mostly of alternating blows and hoping the enemy dies first. After I reached the Northern part of the island, the enemies started to cause a lot of damage per turn, even on easy, and I spent more time quickloading than exploring. I quit today.

vedder (70970) on 1/11/2018 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

After finishing Tomb Raider 2013, which I loved and is definitely my favourite in the series. I hunkered for Metroidvania action and started on Ori and the Blind Forest. Amazing so far. Audio-visual treat and great Metroidvania exploration. Had to switch to easy after a frustrating difficulty spike in the first chase scene, but managed to wrestle through with the additional checkpoint that gave me.

vedder (70970) on 1/14/2018 9:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Finished Ori and The Blind Forest. Amazing game! Loved it!

Gave Everybody's Gone to the Rapture a try. Not for me...

vedder (70970) on 1/14/2018 9:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Also have been playing through the campaign of Overcooked with my fiancée. Let's put that relationship to the test! :P

Marek Ludwicki on 2/26/2018 9:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Me too :) Good time :)

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/15/2018 5:47 PM · Permalink · Report

I tried playing The Last of Us, but I can't get into it. It's not the game's fault - the beginning (except the uninspired tutorial) is one of the best. Unfortunately I can't get over the zombie scenario - I just can't stand it - and it also checks several of my other big turnoff boxes: survival elements, stealth without quicksave, etc. I'm not compatible to this game.

I also played Final Fantasy IV (PC version), but had to abandon it after ten hours or so. I don't care about the generic plot or the characters, the graphics are completely ugly (in hindsight, I should have emulated the SNES version instead) and five characters are too many for the ATB system.

I finished Dark Heritage: Guardians of Hope, a hidden object game. I have a weakness for those things, even if this one was average. I am sick right now, and this is the perfect light gaming for those times.

I also just finished System Rift, a DLC for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It does not bring anything revolutionary on the table, but it's a good Deus Ex level. I probably would have been bored with it after finishing the main game first, but one year later it strikes my exploration sense perfectly.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/17/2018 9:14 PM · Permalink · Report

In the meantime I played the other DLC A Criminal Past which is even better. I especially loved the beginning where you are forced to sneak around and explore the areas carefully. It's real self-contained story and not just an obviously cut sidequest of the main game like the other two DLCs. Overall a thumbs up!

On more disappointing news; I also played Sacred 3. I don't care about the predecessors, so I have no problem with the change in gameplay - it's a basic linear action hack-and-slash game with RPG elements. It got a bit repetitive after three hours, but otherwise good fun. However, what kills it is the writing: there are multiple people (the villain, weapon ghosts - don't ask - and the woman who teleports us to the mission areas) who just don't shut up. This would not be so bad if everyone wasn't a self-proclaimed comedian. Every sentence a joke, none works.

I also played the first act of Knee Deep. It has an interesting promise: a murder investigation as a stage play. Cool! Unfortunately I did not enjoy the first act: it is way too long, all three main characters are uninteresting assholes and the puzzles unnecessary garbage. I liked the reporting mechanic (often, the characters have to write a report and the player chooses the topic and how to spin it) and the reactivity, but that's not enough to interest me in the rest of the game.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/22/2018 8:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Need for Speed: The Run seems to be the least liked entry in the series. I enjoyed it, though: it looks very good and some levels were very well designed (although some of the script-heavy levels had a bit too much try-and-error for my taste). I did not play many challenges, but the ones I did were fun and engaging. Of course my view is skewed because I only payed five bucks and expected nothing - if I spent 50 bucks in anticipation of the great story (lol) I would be pissed...

Demon Hunter: Chronicles from Beyond is a typical hidden object game. The quality is average, but I did not like how it re-used hidden object scenes. I also hate the mechanic where objects fade in and out. The part I enjoyed most was the bonus adventure because it goes a bit overboard with the plot - otherwise it seems all those games have the same storyline (searching for person X who turns out to be evil).

I played three or four hours of the RPG Maker game Incitement. The only reason is that Incitement 3 turned up in my Steam library somehow. The story was OK, nothing special, but I did not like that the standard attack uses ammo (the game's replacement for mana points). This means for standard enemies you can't spam the confirmation button to attack, but you need to select a special attack which does not use ammo. I hate that, don't make me click more than necessary in your JRPG.

I just beat Braid which is a fantastic game. The mechanics, especially how the game communicates them to the player, are spot-on. The puzzles use the mechanics creatively, have the right difficulty balance, are completely logical in hindsight and are easy to pull off when you have the right idea. I did not get the story though, way over my head.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 1/27/2018 10:24 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Evoland: A very nice premise, but the execution is only barely OK. Some of the levels drag on too long, especially the turn-based battles are too shallow to be fun. Evoland 2 is much better.

Sentience: The Android's Tale: I was a bit disappointed by this game. I love the premise and liked the first few days, but overall the plot and most characters are uninteresting (about a third could have been cut without losing something). However, my main problem were the fetch quests. In principle they fit the theme and are not too bothersome, but I too often had problems because I could not identify the object I needed due to the bad graphics.

The Witness: I loved Braid, but I can't get into this game. Braid was both ingeniously focused, simple and complex - The Witness is too big and does not manage to introduce the puzzle mechanics well. If you have more patience than me, it's certainly a good game, but not for me.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm: I liked it. It carries over a lot of strengths from the original and manages to tell a nice coming-of-age story (in Episode 1 and 2, at least). The weakest moments were the gameplay mechanics - I don't think the backtalk mechanic works too well and the "puzzles" feel forced. The relationship between Chloe and Rachel definitely was the high point of the story - because of this I did not particularly enjoy the direction of the third episode. Especially the second-to-last scene before the end did not make much sense to me. Overall the plot felt rushed in some places and I think the story could have profited from a fourth episode.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 2/4/2018 10:26 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm currently playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I'm not sure how long the game is, but I'll guess I'm probably somewhere after the midway point (Chapter 9). It has a remarkable plot: the player travels around with the antagonist and the main character develops Stockholm Syndrome. I like the platforming and stuff, but I'm not the biggest fan of this style of combat. However, it is simple and infrequent enough that I don't mind. The game looks absolutely stunning - not from a technical standpoint, but from an artistic one. It has a post-apocalyptic nature-takes-it-back feel. Love that stuff.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 2/11/2018 8:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I'm currently playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. (...) [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Well, I expected the second-to-last cutscene, but certainly not the ending... My previous posting was also before meeting Pigsley who was the low point for me. The humor did not work and the end of his story felt completely out of character. Overall I had a great time.

Currently I am playing The Witcher 3: Egypt which lent a few elements from Assassin's Creed and... - joke aside, Assassin's Creed: Origins is the best entry of the series since Black Flag (and may even surpass that one, not sure yet). IMHO all the changes make it a better game: question marks instead of thousand chests to open make for better exploration, the focus on experience points and quests make for a good flow. Egypt is a fantastic setting and I like Bayek. There are only two things which bother me: no codex and most quests just lead to question marks which causes repetition if you already cleared them before. Because of this now I will focus on quests from now on. The quest design and writing also can't hold a candle to The Witcher 3, but its good enough.

Limbo: To be honest, I did not enjoy it much. The art is very good, but the puzzles were mostly in meh territory. In contrast to Braid it did not age well.

Batman: The Enemy Within (episodes 1 - 4): I can't put my finger on it, but overall I think it is weaker than its predecessor. I still enjoyed it, especially the interactions with John Doe (who will become the Joker in Episode 5). I totally kissed his ass at every possibility, so I'm looking forward what the story does with it. They pulled off a satisfactory character angle with Harvey Dent in Season One, so I have a good feeling.

Millennium: A New Hope: The gameplay is good enough, but I did not like the huge empty maps and the writing. I'll continue playing those traditional RPG maker games (not counting adventures like To the Moon or The Deed) until I find one I like!

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 2/25/2018 12:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Yesterday I finished Assassin's Creed: Origins. My positive opinion has not changed, but there is one big point which bothered me: my actions have no impact on the world. What is the point of finishing all those outposts when they just repopulate after two fast travels? I probably would have done a 100% run if they made a "this area is no 100% safe" prompt or something. The gameplay is satisfying (especially the sound after assassinating someone), but a bit repetitive. The story was fine.

I also played Tacoma which was disappointing. I love Gone Home (in fact it will probably get one of the top spots in my games of the decade listing), but this one is just... meh. I won't say its bad, but both the plot and characters left me unimpressed. The video repeat gimmick is great, though.

Adzuken (836) on 1/15/2018 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Still stuck on Elder Scrolls Online. My attention span should be waning any time now, but then, I predicted I'd have moved on a couple weeks ago.

It did inspire me to give Elder Scrolls: Arena another shot. I've given it a couple false starts in the past, but I'm determined to get through it this time. I've only got two parts of the staff left to get, so I can't see myself dropping it at this point. Afterwards, I'll likely give Daggerfall another go.

I've also been giving The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild another playthrough, this time on master difficulty. The increased challenge isn't an improvement. Success depends on preparedness, and it's still possible to get to the point where you're unstoppable. Only now it takes longer to kill enemies, and if you let up on attacks, they regenerate their health. It kind of weighs things down. Bleh. Still a great game, though.

Adzuken (836) on 1/17/2018 4:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Despite the game bugging out multiple times in what can only be considered a conscious effort to prevent my success, I completed the Elder Scrolls: Arena. I was less than impressed. It isn't entirely a bad game, just one that under-delivers.

However, I have high hopes for Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, which I've now moved onto. Like Arena, I've had a few false starts with it, so this will be my attempt to finally put it away.

Adzuken (836) on 1/31/2018 7:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, so I've finished Daggerfall. I didn't really like that one much, either. It's just too long for how repetitive everything is. I was initially taken in, but by the, I don't know, 50th dungeon, I was so sick of it.

Anyways, onto Morrowind, which is a game I've played, completed, and already know that I love. I guess I'm just looking to see if it's as great as I remember.

Adzuken (836) on 2/16/2018 3:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Done with the core Morrowind quest. It was pretty much exactly as I remembered it: awesome. Even more enjoyable this time around, since I've expanded my understanding of the series' background lore.

I've been playing as magic slinging characters for my current playthroughs, which is a big contrast to the stealthy rangers I default to. It has been fulfilling enough that I'm likely going to stick with it into other RPGs that I pick up in the future.

So I've moved onto the expansions. Tribunal has, thus far, been a lot of boring sewers, and I'm getting the impression that this is my life now. Afterwards, we'll see if I have the endurance to move onto Oblivion. I am not looking forward to those oblivion gates.

Cavalary (11445) on 2/16/2018 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Should still get back to that someday... After all, started Neverwinter Nights I think back in 2007 when I bought it and probably finished the original campaign in 2009, went through SoU more quickly, then believe I started HotU in 2010 and only finished it in August 2016. Kingmaker campaigns still pending.

Morrowind I started and dropped in 2008, picked back up and dropped again in 2012, and that's about it...

vedder (70970) on 1/26/2018 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Prey (2017). I like it, but it's not resonating as much as I'd expected it would. Given my love for System Shock 2, Dishonored and the Metroidvania genre, this game should be some kind of dream come true. But so far, while great, I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed. Primary reason for this is probably the crafting mechanics in the game. The whole crafting part takes way too much focus. It's inventory management hell, boring to pick each room clean of junk items, but the rewards are too big to ignore so feel forced in this loop. Especially now I found a blueprint for neuromods.

Exploring the space ship is great though, the enemies have their moments, but can get repetitive. There's some quirky humour here and there which I appreciate. And generally the game is full of little discoveries you can make yourself without being force fed it through tutorials and hand holding which might be its biggest merit. The zero gravity parts are a nice diversion as well.

In spite of borrowing many elements from Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Metroid Prime, Dead Space, Dishonored, and many others it does feel like it tries to do something new and I definitely admire the game for it.

vedder (70970) on 2/4/2018 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

The game is growing on me and I love how after the initial hours it opens up dramatically. The crafting mechanics remain an annoying grind however.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 2/10/2018 5:35 PM · Permalink · Report

So this is how Jorunal dies. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Anyway, been playing a lot of games lately. For example.

Saints Row 4. This is my first Saints game. I really don't know what to say about this game. It's completely ridiculous. And the character customization is just amazing. Other than than it doesn't capture my interest for long. It also feels repetitive. But, eh... it's enjoyable.

Tomb Raider. This is also quite a ridiculous game. It's like Lara can't take a break from traumatic experiences - she survives one, she falls into another, all bloody and bruised up. It's so over-the-top, but unintentionally I guess. I often find myself laughing during dramatic situations, just because the set up is sometimes too much. Other than that. I think I quite like it.

Betrayal at Krondor. I think it has been over 10 years since I last played it. Damn. This game is good. I had forgotten how good the design and gameplay actually were. Here I am, amazed by a 25 year old game with its just ugly, blocky 3D. But I'm not seeing ugly 3D blocks, I'm seeing the world of Krondor. And it's a marvelous place.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 2/10/2018 6:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start The Fabulous King wrote--] Saints Row 4. This is my first Saints game. I really don't know what to say about this game. It's completely ridiculous. And the character customization is just amazing. Other than than it doesn't capture my interest for long. It also feels repetitive. But, eh... it's enjoyable. [/Q --end The Fabulous King wrote--]

vedder (70970) on 3/6/2018 8:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. It took a while to get into it, but now it's quite fun. Probably not Shadow of Mordor fun, or Far Cry 3 fun, but different and close enough to continue going.

vedder (70970) on 4/1/2018 7:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Finally finished Horizon. I liked it, but it's not without its share of flaws. Graphics are amazing but oft so overly detailed it hurt gameplay. Often foliage completely obscures camera or important objects or markers blends in the environment. The story is a big let dien. It starts out nicely, but is full of the worst video game tropes. You are the messiah. The world is about to destroyed etc. It would have been a much better story of it had been about Aloy being an outcast. Also the magic of the world which absolutely doesn't make sense, is destroyed bit by bit by the game's insistence to explain everything. They should have left it up to player interpretation instead of explaining how ridiculous it all is. My last grope is the collectibles. According to the loading screen typos they yield great rewards. The rewards suck so you might as well not collect them. Which I did thank you very much.

Combat is cool. Production values are high. Some nice RPG mechanics and discovery. So can still recommend!

Adzuken (836) on 3/8/2018 6:25 PM · Permalink · Report

After my stint with the Elder Scrolls, (which seems to have died before I finished any of Morrowind's expansions, which is so like me) I've moved on to focus on shorter games. In particular, I've been feeling some cyberpunk and decided to play through Shadowrun on both the SNES and Genesis. For the SNES, I've played through Shadowrun before, but this is the first time I slogged through the Genesis version.

I did like the Genesis version, but holy crap, it is such a grind. It feels like the only way to avoid running the same missions ad absurdum is to know how to game the system. If I had to do it all again, I'd save up to hire the best decker in the game, then have them farm saleable data files until I could purchase all the best equipment. Does that sound like a fun thing to do? The alternative is to just grind.

On the other hand, the narrative progression was pretty great. Tracking down and following up on leads without any objective markers or hand holding; it makes it worth all that grinding.

Havoc Crow (29904) on 3/25/2018 11:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I've completed the time-management game Cook, Serve, Delicious! recently, and the surprising thing was that this was the first time in a long time when I've been truly satisfied and exhilarated by finishing a game. Odd, because its ending is technically nothing that spectacular, the game basically congratulates you enthusiastically. But it feels a lot more warm and pleasant than say, the ending of the game completed before that (Dead Space), which (as typical for horror games) is basically "HA HA JOKE'S ON YOU, THINGS ARE STILL GONNA SUCK."

I've been stuck in the middle of The Last Express for a few months now. I originally wanted real bad to complete the whole game by myself, and spend some free time to think extra hard on puzzles and plan out of my moves and so on. But right now, I don't know if I shouldn't just give up and glance at a walkthrough to get past this tricky part.

I do love the game's emergent structure, and the way all its puzzles feel like "natural" things to do -- you don't think like a gamer, you think like a character of an adventure story, and it's fantastic.

I'm playing Doki Doki Literature Club, or more precisely, not playing it. Horror games like these just require me to be in a specific mood. So far the game deserves credit for being genuinely scary and disturbing, but on the other hand, after completing the first part damn near gave me nightmares, I've been putting off playing it, again and again.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 3/31/2018 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Currently I'm playing Beyond: Two Souls. Honestly, its a huge step back from Heavy Rain. I'm not really into mystery stories, but I liked the first few chapters well enough. But now it starts to jump from one trashy short story to the next. It feels like David Cage just threw in all genres he liked ("I wanna make a mystery! And a western! And a social drama! And horror! And a agent thriller!) without any regard to the overall narrative. I would not be surprised if the only reason for the non-chronological storytelling is to hide how little sense it makes. I just finished the western part and I wonder if I should continue to see with what stupid shit they come up next. Maybe a war sequence or some science-fiction? The sky is the limit!

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 4/1/2018 10:24 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

And they actually did a fucking war mission. This is an absolute trainwreck.

Other games I played since my last posting:

The Elder Scrolls Online: Yep, it was this time of the year again. I finished the Daggerfall storyline and bought myself one month subscription. I played some of the Thieves Guild (I don't like the sneaking mechanics at all), the Dark Brotherhood (I liked the story and the grinding was not too bad) and the excellent Orsinium DLC.

NieR: Automata: A great game! I like the combat mechanics and how the whole plot was mysterious and I had no idea what was going on. Well, and that is was deliberate and not like in Beyond: Two Souls because of incompetence. I did not like the side quest, however: while most are important for the narrative, they are mostly simple fetch quests. Unfortunately the second playthrough, which is 80% identical to the first, burned me out so I'm not in the mood for the second chapter anymore.

Batman: The Enemy Within - Episode 5: I liked it and the transformation from John Doe to Joker was well handled. Not much more to say about it.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Farewell: A short bonus episode which has the same quality as the normal game. But would it have hurt them to end on less of a downer? Oh well.

2064: Read Only Memories: I did not like it much. I felt the characters were very well written, but I did not care about what they were talking. This is a game with a clear political agenda, and I approve (both with the fact that it is political and the general points it makes), but it is too much in your face. I quit after the third chapter or so.

Doki Doki Literature Club: I won't go into details because of spoiler reasons, but I can say that I thought the game was very well executed. I knew something was coming (or I would not even have played it in the first place, not really interested in dating sims), but it still hit me with full force.

I think that's all.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 4/7/2018 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Harveys Neue Augen (or Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes): This is one of the best point & click adventures I have ever played! It has fantastic dialogue/writing (and not too much like most other adventures including the predecessor) and the puzzles hit my sweet spot perfectly: I never was frustrated; I never was bored.

Platformers are not my genre, but Rayman Origins is a good one. Finishing the levels has (with exception of - I presume - the last world) a medium difficulty while trying to get all bonus stuff can be hard. I would call it a little bit unfair at times, but because of the frequent checkpoints and unlimited tries this is not a big issue. However, I quit during the level "The Getaway". It is simply beyond my capabilities.

Oh, and I also finished the rest of Beyond. It sucked. Big surprise.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 4/21/2018 4:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Final Fantasy IX: Charming characters and classic combat scheme, but the scenario and overall plot did not manage to lift me over my usual 10-hour-JRPG-fatigue.

The Sexy Brutale: This game has a very intriguing gameplay premise, but in execution I found it a bit boring.

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy: An absolutely fantastic concept. I played it through (although I did not do all optional levels) with a lot of joy. At first I thought it was a bit strange to hide the levels with additional mechanics behind the old graphics, but after I tried them out, I actually was a bit glad.

Shadow Tactics: This game is fantastic! The only game I really liked with this gameplay style was Desperados (Commandos was too much WWII and Desperados 2 too much 3D). The design is (so far) flawless and it greatly benefits from no unlimited guns like the spiritual predecessor.

Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX+: I was never a big fan of the classic Pac-Man, but this one works for me. The short challenges are so much fun, even if I suspect I am already near boundary of my capabilities.

Cavalary (11445) on 4/1/2018 5:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Technically the first game finished this year was, embarrassingly, a casual mobile game back in January, Block Breaker 3 Unlimited (don't think we have it) on the Nokia 230 I got then to replace my venerable 15 y/o Alcatel OT 512. (Speaking of MobyGames having it, would it be filed under J2ME or Series 30+ stuff doesn't count as that? Definitely way different from what I gathered was its IOS/Android version.) Anyway, was just poking around and also played that to the end during the first week or so.

Now today I just finished Her Story. Had won it at the end of September, not one of the games I was actually interested in out of the potential prizes but not one I was clearly not interested in either, so was saying I'll go through it someday, when I'll just want to add a game finished quickly. But kept putting it off till somebody spoiled it for me in this year's games finished thread on the GOG forum. Apparently wasn't even a spoiler warning at first, was added before I got there to read it, but with me reading quickly and taking in chunks of text at once, took the spoiler in along with the warning. And then I said might as well just get through it, discover all the videos and call it finished. So started it two days ago, yesterday it considered I had seen enough of the key videos to get the possibility to "finish" it, but I said no and kept at it till I could unlock every last one, today.
Calling it a game is questionable though, and so is saying that you "finished" it. There is an end state, when you say so, but with that being all there is and the player being left to draw their own conclusions... Like I said, questionable. And I have a hard time deciding on my conclusion. Watching the whole thing in order from the game files, see if that settles things, but...
May try to write a review for it, but... It'll be hard.

Kabushi (261304) on 4/1/2018 7:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]Technically the first game finished this year was, embarrassingly, a casual mobile game back in January, Block Breaker 3 Unlimited (don't think we have it) on the Nokia 230 I got then to replace my venerable 15 y/o Alcatel OT 512. (Speaking of MobyGames having it, would it be filed under J2ME or Series 30+ stuff doesn't count as that? Definitely way different from what I gathered was its IOS/Android version.) Anyway, was just poking around and also played that to the end during the first week or so. [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--]

I wasn't aware of this before but after a quick look up it seems Series 30+ runs on something called Maui Runtime Environment (MRE). I'll look into adding this as a new platform.

Adzuken (836) on 5/17/2018 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't really had much to write about on here, because I've been playing a mash of different games. I played a few LucasArts adventure games, specifically Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, and Sam & Max Hit the Road. Sam & Max definitely connected with me better this time around than it did when I first attempted it. The puzzles really aren't anywhere near as obtuse as I had initially thought.

I also finally managed to get around to completing Yakuza 0 and started into Yakuza Kiwami. Very entertaining games, even if they're a series of distractions occasionally interrupted by a narrative.

Aside from that, I've gotten back into Splatoon 2 and My Summer Car. I've also been playing an assortment of old PC games, and we'll see if that goes anywhere.

vedder (70970) on 5/18/2018 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Currently playing Divinity Original Sin. Mixed feelings, but in the end it's more than the sum of its parts. The setting I don't really care about, just as with earlier games in the series. Crafting is never my thing. The slightly comedic style doesn't resonate with me, but I could almost hear designer Farhang's chuckle in some situations. Definitely his style of humour. The combat is nice, specially how all the elements combine. The high point of the game probably, but pales in comparison to XCOM. The voice acting and characters are horrible. The main quest is actually kind of interesting. Since I'm playing single player having arguments with myself is kind of weird, but I can see the value for coop! I like that content is gated by the fact that areas feature higher level monsters and you just don't want to go there yet. RPG progression is very nice as well.

In conclusion having lots of fun, but will probably skip the sequel in favour of something new.

vedder (70970) on 6/17/2018 10:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Stopped playing original sin. It just became too repetitive after 35+ hours and still being nowhere near some kind of resolution. At this point it becomes really bothersome that you can't do the main quest without doing all the side quests because you will not be high enough level.

Tried Titan Souls. Hated every second of it.

Played some Stormbound, it's nice, but underwhelms in comparison to Hearthstone.

vedder (70970) on 6/17/2018 8:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Now started on AM2R, which is cool so far, but the controls are a bit unresponsive. After some time I found out that it works better when played with a keyboard than with an Xbox One controller. I never quite got into Metroid 2 because I found it tedious playing on a Game Boy emulator, but like this it's rather cool.

vedder (70970) on 7/16/2018 8:44 PM · Permalink · Report

After finishing AM2R, I played Life is Strange: Episode 1. It's nice, but I'm not sure I care enough to purchase the rest of the episodes. The production values are great, great attention to detail and voice acting (although the characters are rather cliché), but I didn't care about the gameplay all that much.

I played some Cuphead and Human: Fall Flat with my wife. We're making very slow progress in the first since it's so damn hard. Human: Fall Flat is good for a laugh, but the puzzles are sort of lame.

Started on Wolfenstein: The New Order. Everyone kept saying how awesome it was. I was still sceptical, since I'm losing interest in shooters generally. But so far it has definitely managed to keep me entertained. It's one big rollercoaster, but probably my favourite parts are where I can use stealth to clear an area (or fail and then just go on rambo style). I hope it can keep up the quality all the way through!

vedder (70970) on 8/12/2018 8:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Finished Wolfenstein. Loved it, just a little bit saddened by the fact the last couple levels didn't facility stealth as much, as that was my favourite approach.

Impulse-bought Into The Breach. Games with "permadeath" generally aren't my thing, but being turn based and having a once per battle undo function, the game scratches the itch that XCOM and its sequel created for turn based tactics games. Liking it so far, but not sure how long I can stay hooked on something like this.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 5/27/2018 5:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire: This game is very good, but I'm not sure how to rate it in comparison to its predecessor. I loved the combat (as soon as I deactivated the AI); reducing the party members to five was exactly the correct decision. The new character progression is better because actually choosing the new abilities makes you think about them, although I thought the levelling was too fast in the beginning and the end. I hit the level cap only shortly before the endgame and I did all quests I could find. The difficulty curve was exactly right for me.

I liked the writing, but it was hurt by two things: 1) voice acting and 2) Neketaka. I really don't get the point of voice acting in games like this, especially when it is only mediocre (side characters) to good (companions). Voice acting is good when something happens on the screen, but narrating static text boxes? I don't get it. Also Neketaka is too big and you spend too much time just talking, talking, talking (which is strange because I love Baldur's Gate II's Amn and Planescape in general). I think the approach of Pillars 1 with two smaller cities was better. The companions were good, but the relationship system between companions seems to have absolutely no impact. The romances should have been scrapped. The new companions were a bit underwhelming - there is no one with the impact of Durance, but fortunately also no Grieving Mother.

As you probably know, I'm not the biggest fan of open worlds. This is one of the better ones, but still suffers from too long boring movement (well, boating) phases, but it at least had some interesting stuff to find. For example there was a island with a multiple-hour quest which, as far as I know, can only be found by exploring. What I missed where a few bigger dungeons, something like the endless paths, the most dungeons you find during exploration where only one small map.

What I liked were the reactivity (including choices from Pillars 1, even if the importing is a bit off: it somehow imported white march choices which I did not play with the import save) and the factions. It works very similar to New Vegas (one of my favorite games): you can freelance for all of them until the quests start to directly contradict each other. I never came to the point when one faction hated me, however, because I chose to stay independent in the end. Fuck those idiots.

Overall I think the good and bad additions balance each other out and I'd say it is just as good as Pillars 1. However, it took its sweet time to grow on me - if it was any other game, I probably would have abandoned it after ten hours.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 6/2/2018 10:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Besides Pillars II I also played three game series:

The House of 10.000 Doors trilogy: As far as hidden object games are concerned, those are among the best I played. The story is stupid, of course, but interesting enough. I was mostly impressed by the third one which has unusually many, well produced cutscenes over the whole game (usually it starts and stops with the intro). If I have one big problem, it's that the minigames get worse and worse over the games - in the first, they were usually puzzles. Starting with the second, they became mostly occupational therapy.

The Snark Busters trilogy: The story is awful and the characters are pricks which I'd rather beat up than help. However, I really liked the gameplay gimmick of the firs two games: you need to find parts of items which are scattered around every screen. I did not like the third game because they changed the gimmick to something lesser and I needed to use the help function frequently because it was simply not clear what thing they wanted me to click on.

The Space Pilgrim tetralogy: I'm not sure why, but I enjoyed this series a lot. The story and characters were simple, but well enough executed. I guess I liked how the dialogue was on the point and never became tedious. The puzzles were logical and when I was stuck it was because I missed a pixel. The main negative point was that the engine did not work well for a point & click game (the pathfinding...).

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/12/2018 12:42 PM · Permalink · Report

So I was on my way to Skara Brae to learn the answers to the questions of Life and Death, when Dupre suddenly exclaimed that he's hungry. Since we had no food at that moment, I decided we'll go hunt some meat, cause it's going to be a long night in Skara Brae.

I was almost in Yew, when I saw my first deer, killed it and was about to gather the meat when our party was ambushed by wisps. After a frantic battle I discovered that Julia was dead. Oh well, back to Lord British then. But... I couldn't pick up the body. Turns out she somehow managed to die on top of a tree and was now inaccessible.

Shit, when was my last save? To far behind. What do I do? This is Ultima 7, think creatively. Let's build a stair! So we hiked back to Iolo's, picked up some planks and went back to Julia. In the meantime, Dupre managed to get killed by wolves, I just left him there.

Build a stair, took some creative angles, managed to pick Julia's body up, teleported to Lord British, resurrected my party members. "I'm hungry!" Shit! I had forgotten all about that.

So in the end we bought food from Farmer's market. Should have done that in the first place.

Cavalary (11445) on 6/17/2018 9:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Started Ember, after using a code for a GOG game that I won back in 2013 and hadn't used (and since the system isn't designed to account for the fact that such codes may still be active, that sure was tricky... anything with a base price of $9.99 or less, 15 / page, 104 pages, can only access 1000 entries, up to page 67, past that it's an error if you try to pull the JSON, and it'd be impossible to actually reach anyway, since there are anti-bot measures that lock you out if you flip through pages too quickly and it times out if you put in the code and don't check out within 1h... and Ember was on page 59, so first pull the data past where I could reach normally to see that, then took me several tries over a couple of days to figure out a workable middle ground between being locked out and timing out, and sat here for 57-58 min timing page flips very carefully to get to page 59 just in time and redeem).

Combat controls are iffy, game otherwise seems all right so far, and plenty of books to read, mix of a decent backstory and stuff intended to be funny and usually succeeding. But engine is a concern. Constant reading off HDD (saw discussions on the Steam page, somebody complaining of constant 3 Mb/s reading and concerned of wear, devs saying they can't help it, what I saw was some 600kb/s constant, but I was standing then, assume that while walking it'd spike badly) and graphics taking a toll on my poor comp with just the integrated ones. Saw CPU frequency go down even to 1/3 while playing, probably due to diverting all the power it could to the integrated GPU. And I seem to smell smoke, though reported temps are fine, and even low when the CPU speed drops a lot. Not sure if it's wise to keep playing it, especially now in summer.

Oh, and saw a review with the reviewer saying she finished it in 11h and did most side quests... In game timer now puts me at 8h, not counting reloads, and I'm level 4 and just recently got to Radiance (and now returned to explore the Northern Forest some more, since I didn't go quite everywhere yet). So very early stages.

Cavalary (11445) on 7/17/2018 1:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Make that 34h now. Probably not far from the end though. Wonder what level I'd have been if I'd have used the sleep mechanic as it's designed to be used, to greatly increase exp gain, and grinded somewhat on respawns as well. But only grinded a bit early on, then just kept going, only sleeping when really necessary too, so very little exp boost, yet I'm still pretty much at the level I should be, judging by enemies. There is a side quest now saying recommended level 20 and I'm 17, but so far at least I just about always was quite on pace.

Did like that fight with the necromancer though. Previous boss wasn't bad either, but that one was very tactical.

Cavalary (11445) on 7/22/2018 7:51 PM · Permalink · Report

And finished. In game timer listing 44h. Finished at level 24, with no grinding except very early on and rather going against the intended use of the sleep mechanic, dragging the stints without sleeping as long as I possibly could even though the cap for +25% exp would have been reached several times over in between, so could have had a fair bit more. Not that I know how much difference that'd have made with just combat exp considering how much it takes for a level there at the high ones, but likely lost at least one. Best gear (2 unique weapons I found, a one-handed sword from a side quest, and a 2-handed staff just in a chest) requires level 20 though, and other than that the top tier of gear requires only 17.

Some odd design choices, but ends up all right. Does show it's designed for tablets and controls take some getting used to, but frankly they seem to work much better in the end than those designed for consoles so common in big name PC versions of games now. That constant HDD use can be a concern though, in terms of HDD wear. Will be trying to write a review, but till then here's the mess of notes I made for it if anyone's interested.

Movement is iffy, ordering companions even worse, using some skills too, needing to click and drag. You need to click and drag to companion to talk to them. Messed up that energy doesn't increase. No numbers on energy use or some restoration items. Map doesn't show which areas you explored. Can only see items or interactive objects if very close outside query mode, which pauses, but sometimes stuff (containers?) not interactive when close and may even only become like that from positions you can't reach them from. A few annoying items or containers you can't reach in any way. Constant HDD use at quite some speed, causing wear. Discrepancy between what you're told and what you read about the War of the Giants re: death of Archimedes and his brother joining the war. Quite nice reading in books, also tackling current issues and matters in them (did spot a handful of typos though), you do actually start to search for parts of books to get the whole thing. Not sure what to think of chars knocked out and recovering at 20% after combat, reloaded when that happened bar once after Syrion boss fight when just at the end he killed Lightbringer and I didn't go through all that again, then again at end of fight with viridian shards in green abyss, and in final battle when in stage 1 I ended up with all bar Corra dead with quite some to go and continued that way to win. Combat can get nicely tactical later on, and after you get used to it, seeing icons for what skills enemies are about to use adding much to that. 3 companions but just being able to have 2 at once once you meet all seems a limit added just to have a limit. 99 item inventory limit is just artificial annoyance. Some quests are quite silly, including parts of the main one. Actually liked the Necromancer fight, prince before that has some stages too. Unicorns not bad either. They seem to have put some effort into making later boss fights tactical. Companions should have more to say, more chat options. Nasty with just 3 active skills and determined by gear, and 2 more passive ones also by gear, and no improvement of skills. Hell of a fight with The Illuminated One, but nevertheless possible even with just found gear and basically no grinding. Not sure what to think about tinted image that makes inventory items change color too, like in ember mines or ice caves or abyss. Not keen on the sleep mechanic, needing to sleep every so often to get the cap of 25% exp boost from one sleep, but can pile up by waiting, never did, would have wanted reward for more time without sleeping, as much as possible, sleeping maybe be the penalty. Quite a number of crashes when fast traveling between areas, but fortunately autosaves are made before leaving and always worked to restore. Query for enemies is very handy, showing class and minion/standard/strong/elite/boss. Two endings based on just a choice at the end, but they seem similar.

And think I missed a book, What Lies Beyond the Desert? II Kept part 3 in inventory, by which I assume I was waiting to find 2, know I read 1, and only read it when I went back after finishing, to an earlier save to craft best gear for other chars too (just did for Lightbringer at the end otherwise) and take a final screenshots of a close up of them in it. Part 3 tells the story, but there is still something in between, getting there, that I'm missing. Ah well. No idea where it could have been, definitely went through everything I could reach. Though with maps not showing where you've been, it is possible I missed something in open areas.

Adzuken (836) on 6/22/2018 5:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I finally picked up an HDMI adapter for my GameCube. To make use of it, I've been playing... The Sims console ports? They don't even support progressive scan, so I have no idea what I'm doing with my life anymore.

I've also been playing some 007: Everything or Nothing, which progresses like a game made by someone who once saw a James Bond movie, but it was when they were coming off of sedatives.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 7/2/2018 3:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Time for another update:

Space Pilgrim Academy: I did not like this one although the writing is on the same level as the predecessor. Maybe it was fatigue because I played all of them in a row, but I abandoned it during the first school sequence. I'm too old for memorizing planet names, thank you very much.

Cibele: A very short game which is about a teenage romance. One one hand I appreciate how very mundane the shown romance is, but it hurts my suspension of disbelief if the game the protagonists are supposed to be addicted to is such a boring, buggy peace of shit no normal person would play more than two minutes before returning to League of Legends or whatever the young people play nowadays.

Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble: I enjoyed this a lot less than the free predecessor. I can't put my finger on something it did wrong, but I felt the charm was gone.

DOOM 3 (2012 BFG version): This is the very definition of a one-trick pony. The shooting and movement feels great. However, the level design with the repetitive environments and the constant jump scares became tiring very quickly. Its not very surprising when you exactly know that a monster will spawn if you enter the next room. Despite this, I enjoyed the game and even its story until the end. I don't plan to play the add-ons though.

Don't take if personally, babe, it's just not your story: Christina Love is a great writer. This is a short but engaging visual novel. The name of the game is true, your choices only have a minimal impact, but I'm fine with this.

Silver Creek Falls Chapter 1 - 3: A interactive mystery story. I enjoyed a demo chapter a lot and the second was still good (even if it felt the need to introduce stupid puzzle elements including a mace. No, it does not make it better if your characters joke about your stupid maze, especially if you have to backtrack through it. Sigh.). I really disliked the third, though. The story quickly entered bullshit territory and the puzzles became more stupid. I can't recommend it.

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony I'm a big fan of the two predecessors and I could not pass this up during the Steam sale. I'm very surprised it took longer than the second which I criticized because of too chatty dialogue sequences. Overall I thought it was very engaging and the final twist was mindfuck territory.

Firewatch I was very disappointed in this game. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but totally overrated. While the writing and dialogue is good, the plot and character development goes nowhere. In the end my question is: what was the point? There is absolutely no integration between plot and gameplay and not even the mystery plotline has a satisfying resolution. It has no ending, it just ends. Don't get me started on the backtracking.
I do not regret playing this, but its certainly not the salvation of gaming or something. It was released in a time when both Gone Home and Stanley Parable already existed, which did everything better.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 7/4/2018 4:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I bought Stein;Gate during the summer sale because I heard almost exclusively good things about it. After half an hour I'm not sure why. The protagonist is one of the most insufferable idiots I have ever seen and I want to reach into the screen and slap him after every sentence. His sidekick is a supposedly sixteen-year old girl which acts like a five-year old. I'd like to reach into the screen and slap her after every sentence. The voice acting is in Japanese - I don't speak it, I don't think I every played another game with Japanese voice acting and I still can tell it is way too overacted. I'm still going to play this further - it promises a time travel story and I'm a sucker for those - but I'm not too thrilled. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if the game got its shit together and becomes good, but so far I don't see it.

I also played Finding Paradise which is one of the best games I have ever played.

Freeman (65148) on 7/5/2018 11:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I also played Finding Paradise which is one of the best games I have ever played. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Can you say some more about this? Also, did you like To the Moon?

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 7/6/2018 7:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I loved To the Moon, but to be honest I don't recall much about it. The great thing about Finding Paradise is the writing. It has very well made emotional and humorous scenes - towards the end I actually cried which does not happen too often. And most importantly, the writing is on the point without endless blabber. Also the protagonist is not an unbearable edgelord, but I digress.

There are no substantial gameplay elements. There are some puzzles, but they are short and easy. Its basically a visual novel in which you can walk around the scenery.

About Stein;Gate, everyone says that the game gets really good in chapter 5, but after seven hours (although I think I fell asleep at some point so I'm not sure how accurate the time is) I'm still in chapter 2. It is so slow, has so much useless dialogue, so many bad attempts at humor, so many unlikable characters, such a stupid idiot as protagonist. I don't know if I can bear it any longer.
Edit: of course, just as I was ready to quit for good, a genuinely interesting scene had to occur. Oh well, I guess I give it some more time.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 7/17/2018 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I did push through Steins;Gate and it did become better indeed. The plot started to be intriguing and I got attached to the characters, in the end even to the protagonist. However, I still think the writing is average at best and 50% of the game could have been cut without losing anything.

When I was 15/16, I played some eroge games, but I lost touch with the genre soon after. Now I became interested to try a modern iteration and purchased Ladykiller in a Bind - if I trust one person to make a well written porn game, its Christina Love. It did not disappoint: the dialogue is good and occasionally very funny, the characters are interesting and multi-layered. The porn is respectful to the characters and well-made (even if there were some inconsistencies between text and art), but ultimately I became bored and did not finish a playthrough.

For comparison's sake I also downloaded Summertime Saga which is a classic eroge game akin to the games I played 20 years ago. The writing is okayish, but the game design is bad, the graphics are jarring (the characters and environment art are good enough, but they become bad as tits and cocks are involved) and the characters - including the protagonist - are one-dimensional fuck-robots. There are worlds between this and Ladykiller in a Bind and I'm not sure why this receives almost 40.000 bucks per month on Patreon - I was amused for two hours, but it is certainly not arousing.

Unicorn Lynx (181771) on 8/13/2018 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing "Deus Ex: Mankind Divided". Liking it more than "Human Revolution" so far. A bigger city, more open. But... absolutely horrendous load times. Any thoughts?

vedder (70970) on 8/13/2018 6:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Invest in an SSD?

Adzuken (836) on 8/14/2018 2:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been playing the Mega Man X Legacy Collection on Switch. I had previously played up to X4, but capped out because I felt that X4 lacked a certain something that I appreciated with the SNES trilogy.

I'm now on X7. X6 was such pure torture, that I think my standards have been lowered into the gutter. Even X7 feels like a breath of fresh air after the aggressively frustrating X6.

Adzuken (836) on 8/23/2018 7:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I finished the Mega Man X Legacy Collection. It got pretty bleak towards the end, as I found it difficult to push myself through them. The series at least finished off with X8, which wasn't great, but certainly wasn't as bad as X5-X7.

To pull myself out of that funk, I played through Mega Man Legends. That game is so chill. It was certainly a nice holiday after all that torture.

Unicorn Lynx (181771) on 8/17/2018 1:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Final Fantasy XV. It's so different from the rest of the series, being an open-world action RPG... and I think it's really more interesting.

Cavalary (11445) on 8/19/2018 8:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Finally considering Disciples finished. Started it last July, finished the campaigns in a month, but then considered that "Divine Empire" series of scenarios as basically an expansion, so poked at them on and off, since it gets tedious to have to start over each time, being separate scenarios and nothing carrying over. So now considering it finished since I finally finished that series as well. Will write a full review, hopefully in no more than a few days, but until then leaving the messy notes I made over time about it:

Annoying undead sounds, banshee maybe worst. Animations feel way too long after a while, and there's also that move to capital at start of turn, plus summons dying. Notification for each item taken on map instead of list. No way to take all or all stack or split stack. Bug losing level up choice if leveling at end of scenario and reloading starting save in next (wonder if same happens on autosave load, don't think I checked). Noticed autosave bug when some AI advances (summons, exp/upgrade at least) made after my end of turn existed when reloading autosave from said end of turn. AI definitely knows my armies without spies. Weird to need to avoid winning too soon those campaign scenarios requiring transforming a certain percentage. Would want at least a grid, to see how far armies can go. Oddly high number of misses at times, and in general chances can still make things odd, like definitely statistically possible to have 4-5 misses in a row at 75% chance to hit, but doesn't feel right. Quite liked final Legions scenario, seemed to stand out, and some more planning seems to have been put in it. Odd choice to have area controlled on top but toggle for resources. Human archers are more accurate than elven ones? See MobyGames forum entry for race comparison. Divine Empire scenarios seem rather silly in some ways, and what's with the all caps shop descriptions? Then basically same map for multiple DE scenarios, though last ones have different and actually interesting maps (very last is a joke though, AI can't quite get past that dragon, doesn't dare though it should have little trouble). AI not winning prizes, though of course game'd be awfully difficult if it was good, but seeing it consider wards and immunities as the same and waste attacks randomly attacking units with either is messed up, and it doesn't even keep track of which wards were used up, also spreading casting and summon attacks among different targets and summoning in wrong places, needing to go around to reach target or not reach at all. Usually crashes after about one hour, so need to quit and get back in. Remember the connection attempt and freeze if it can't. Initiative is listed +/- 5, damage listed to listed+5. Diplomacy rather tacked on, and having lord descriptions there means they'll rarely even be noticed. No saved guard stance. Would want a turn count in combat since attacker flees automatically on turn 11.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 8/25/2018 5:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I just finished Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition and it reminded me why the original is my least favorite of the series. It has a good plot (the only complaint I have is that the romance between Gabriel and Malia is too sudden), great dialogue and godawful puzzles. Forget about the cat moustache, almost all puzzles are either "guess where the next plot point happens" or overly complicated shit like the drum codes or the clock puzzle (even after looking it up, I don't get how I was supposed to get this). Oh, and an unmotivated sliding puzzle which probably was not in the original.

My feelings while playing: low (how many hot spots do you want me to look at in Gabriel's store?), middle (oh, I remember that awful mime puzzle, I hope that's the low point), high (I love this dialogue and the theme!), middle (you want me to do what? Let me Google this), high (still love the dialogue), low (I hate the last two days, let's not even pretend to not follow a walkthrough).

It has been a very long time since I played the original, so I can't comment much on the differences of this remake. The bonus content is poorly implemented, the voice acting is surprisingly good and the tech is bad.

The Talos Principle: A fantastic puzzle game, but I did not care much about the philosophical stuff. It has been about a month and I already forgot most of it.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky: This game was a huge surprise hit for me. It has some problems: boring dungeons (at least they are mostly short) and the main plot is very slow (it practically only starts in chapter 4 of 5). But it still hits all my buttons: I love the writing (a good mix between serious and some humor; there is a lot of dialogue without the JRPG-typical babbling) and the combat. I'm not the biggest fan of round-based combat (I usually get bored or it's too complicated), but this game hits the perfect balance - it is fast and has, even with the low enemy variability, enough variety. Directly after finishing, I bought the successor and I am playing Trails in the Sky SC now.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 8/27/2018 9:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I believe I have to revise my above statement a bit. I did not like Gabriel Knight 2 much while playing it again. Die first half was good (except for the walking way from Mariannenplatz to Dienerstraße), interesting (the werewolf premise is nice) and humorous (Americans try to speak German!), but the second half goes downhill. Die fourth chapter is agonizingly boring, the fifth OK, and the sixth boring again (until the annoying final puzzle). During chapter four, I started playing with a walkthrough.

The game could have been so much better if it did not try to be a "interactive movie". The movement of the protagonists is too slow and the movies when taking an item or leaving a scene (why do I have to use the key on the car every single time?) become annoying very fast and I don't get why I have to click on every unimportant hotspots in the museums. I also did not like the puzzles very much.

Cavalary (11445) on 8/25/2018 5:19 PM · Permalink · Report

With the review for Disciples also out of the way, back to AoW: SM (though in truth I first poked at it again 2 days ago for a bit and wrote that yesterday, so that's not quite accurate). Last save was from December, but knew what I was trying to prevent from happening and managed it. Didn't really have a feel of my heroes though, and of how to use them properly to keep them alive despite the odds, so there were I think 3 reloads over the first few turns after losing some. But seem to be getting back into it now, so let's see about finishing that scenario, and then what's next.

If I'll also finish this by the end of the year, it'll be 5 games this year, if you also count that mobile one at first, so the typical target. Meaning I may even have a shot at more, depending on a lot of things. Now let's see.

vedder (70970) on 8/27/2018 11:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Playing Frostpunk. So far it's been amazing. It's very much a numbers optimising game like so many management/ construction games, but with the emotional layer on top of it it really feels like something new. The setting fits the mechanics perfectly as well.

I wonder if I'll be able to keep my people alive. I'm doing well with food and coal, but hope is fading. They almost disposed me, but I just barely managed to retain power.

The addition of exploration is nice as well, even though I wish it was more than just glorified timers.

vedder (70970) on 8/29/2018 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if this game will not end up to be my Game of the Year, because that would mean a game that's even more awesome will be released this year!

vedder (70970) on 9/13/2018 9:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Warhammer: Vermintide 2. Started with some friends during the free weeked and continued playing since. It's pretty much a carbon copy of Left 4 Dead 2 with a different setting. So nothing very original, but then again maybe after all this time that's exactly what we wanted?

Neither of us cares much for the loot/crafting system though. It feels completely irrelevant and the game would've been stronger without it so that completing increased difficulty levels actually reflect on player skill rather than an element of grinding XP, as it was in the original Left 4 Dead games.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 10/26/2018 7:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wow, already two months since my lost post. I was not playing much specific, though.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd: Unfortunately this would could not hold my attention. I'm sure some of it can be attributed to playing all three consecutively, but I did not like the new format either. This game is more a dungeon crawler (and dungeons certainly are not the strength of the series) intersected with optional doors which lead to too long (almost) non-interactive cutscenes. I'm not writing this one off completely, but I need a long break.

Afterwards I did another round of trying out all unplayed games I gathered during the last years, but aside from a few RPG maker games I did not hate instantly there were no big surprises. I probably need to stop buying all Artifex Mundi bundles I see because both hidden object games I finished last week, Eventide: Slavic Fable and Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call, were meh.

This week I started to play Thronebreakers and Uncharted 3 but I'm not far enough for any judgments.

In another display of my superior impulse control I ordered a PS4 plus some games (no, not RDR2). My system seller is Spider-Man.

vedder (70970) on 10/26/2018 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Speaking of PS4, I'm playing The Last Guardian at the moment. If you enjoyed ICO or Shadow of the Colossus (though mostly ICO) it comes highly recommended. It has all the same frustrations though.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 11/1/2018 12:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Uncharted 3 turned out to be a disappointment. It is better than 1, which I did not like at all, but much worse than 2. The most glaring flaw is the lack of polish. I encountered numerous bugs; once I even had to reload a checkpoint because I glitched trough the wall. The controls felt too stiff and during climbing I had a problem to get Nate to do what I wanted, especially before backward jumps. There were too many occasions when I missed a jump because of the controls instead of poor dexterity on my part.

There were also many other things I did not like. I don't like how the story ends without revolving anything (and especially without explaining the big mystery), I did not like how two central characters of the first half disappear without a trace or explanation for the rest of the game, I did not like many of the puzzles, and I especially did not like that the game becomes almost exclusively a shooter during the last third (although my favorite sequence of the game happened in that time frame). All in all I still enjoyed it, especially during the first half, and look forward to Uncharted 4.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 11/1/2018 6:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Thronebreaker is pretty cool. I hate card games, both in the offline and online versions, but I liked Gwent in The Witcher III - mostly because it did not take long to figure out the strategy for almost guaranteed wins. So I am surprised I like this so much.

There are multiple things I don't like about it. The resource collecting on the linear map gets old very fast and while the writing and voice acting is OK, it does not have the same impact that The Witcher III managed to pull off because of the presentation. But the card battles are great and manage to be easy enough so I don't have to engage in deck-building but difficult enough to keep me interested. I especially like that almost every fight has a gimmick grounded in the story. The puzzle fight in which you have to work with a given deck are my favorites.

I also started to play Spider-Man today. It reminds me a lot of my favorite open world game Saints Row IV. Just like in SR4, the movement feels fantastic. Combat also makes a good impression, basically a faster version of the Batman: Arkham system.

vedder (70970) on 11/16/2018 9:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I skipped Mass Effect 3 when it came out, because I didn't have the time to play it and couuldn't find a good price. Finally bought it now only to realize it's apparently been 6 years since release! :O And I even managed to avoid the ending spoilers all these years apart from hearing how it apparently sucks.

The game shows its age. It feels clunky and past its prime. I found the whole linear intro bit pretty terrible, but after it opens up it becomes better. Although I hate story lines about "oh no they are going to destroy the earth/planet/star/universe", the whole gathering resources to fight the Reapers is a nice over arching goal.

Combat feels a bit clunky, the quality of conversations and cutscenes is mixed bag. The story is at times decent and at others cringe-worthily cheesy. The underlying themes are nice, but feel a little bit like a rehash from earlier titles in the series. But in the end it's all more than the sum of its parts and still addictive and entertaining. Probably won't rate it as high as Mass Effect 2.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 11/16/2018 4:16 PM · Permalink · Report

All in all I enjoyed Mass Effect 3. I liked the writing (a lot of attention to detail and influences of the imported savegames) and the gameplay. I don't know if you have encountered them yet, but the Banshees are one of the most creepy enemies of the last years. The two things I disliked the most are the side-quests (foreshadow the fetch-quests of Dragon Age: Inquisition) and the linearity of the main quest. And the ending really sucks, but it sucks less than the entirety of Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I have been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker. This game is awful. It takes all the bad things about Baldur's Gate (needlessly accurate translation of pen & paper rules, rest-based magic system) and adds time limits (I hate his, although so far they have been not so bad) and super-hard encounters (if you want to me to buff up for every fight, don't have a shitty rest mechanic and especially not time limits). For example at the end of the first chapter I already exhausted all things I could have done before the final map and there were enemies which could kill my tank in one hit. Not the end boss, some random mooks. And I was already playing on easy! So basically the game does everything wrong which Pillars of Eternity did right.

So why can I still not stop playing, you ask? Besides my general fondness for those games (I recently even had the urge to play Neverwinter Nights OC again, of all things), the writing is top-notch and way less extensive than Pillars. Also the kingdom management looks intriguing and exploring the map is satisfying. Maybe I'll just switch to story mode.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 11/18/2018 11:31 AM · Permalink · Report

I decided to skip Pathfinder for now. Not necessarily because of the points above, but especially during kingdom management the loading screens are unbearable. And judging from my experiences with Pillars, it will get only worse over time. That's one game to play in ten years when loading times are instant...

I also finished Spider-Man which I love. It basically does nothing wrong, but many things (story, voice acting, movement, combat system) very well. I even did 100% of the open world content, even if most of it was very standard (the research stations were cool, though). This was helped by the fact that this is not one of those too huge open worlds and that the movement is so fun. Overall I recommend this to everyone who likes open-world action games.

I started to play Red Faction. I have no idea how far I am into the game (currently I am moving through some ventilation shafts), but so far the levels (if you may call them that) are very short and easy (medium difficulty) and the whole destroy-the-level mechanic is just a gimmick. Still, I have a lot of fun - it's no Half-Life, but the shooting and weapons feel good. I just have a soft spot for FPS of this era.

Masa♥Yuki (3080) on 11/18/2018 11:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I also finished Spider-Man which I love. It basically does nothing wrong, but many things (story, voice acting, movement, combat system) very well. I even did 100% of the open world content, even if most of it was very standard (the research stations were cool, though). This was helped by the fact that this is not one of those too huge open worlds and that the movement is so fun. Overall I recommend this to everyone who likes open-world action games. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Seconded. This beat out Ultimate Spider-Man as my favorite Spider-Man game easily, and I love Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm actually grateful for the DLC because after doing everything there was to do in the game, I started to miss it. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 12/16/2018 6:46 PM · Permalink · Report

I was sick for some time so I did not play much since my last post. The big one was Kingdom Hearts (PS4 version) which commits one of my worst gaming sins: being piss easy until the final boss and then raise the difficulty sky high. Sorry, game, you are too mediocre for me to grind levels and collect items - I just watched the ending on Youtube.

There are so many bad things about this game: awful camera, bad platforming, too much backtracking in some worlds, etc. However, I still enjoyed it because I like Disney characters and the visual world design was nice. I think I'll give the other games in the collection a try despite not finishing the first.

I also played Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry which is a classic point & click adventure. Its main feature is a lot of groanworthy jokes which was right up my alley. The puzzles were fine but had a bit too much mandatory backtracking for my taste.

Florence is a cool mobile game which shows a relationship.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 12/24/2018 1:06 PM · Permalink · Report

So I spent 14 hours during the last two days playing a single game. Was it Fallout 76, the successor of the last game I remember which managed do this (New Vegas)? Nah, the premise is interesting (Fallout 4 without the bad writing), but the server lag is unbearable.

Was it Deus Ex Revisioned, an overhaul of my favorite game of all times? Nah, the graphics are much better and some of the new environments are nice, but I am too attached to my old Deus Ex levels. Also at places I thought its just bigger for the sake of being bigger.

No, it is, wait for it... Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal. A casual time management game. This game has a very addictive gameplay mechanics and it is neither too easy or too hard. I was also very surprises how well the story works. Don't get me wrong, it's no Witcher 3, the story is soap opera, but competent soap opera. The characters are sympathetic (respectively which are not supposed to be are not), the story has some unexpected turns and topics like death and drug abuse. You can also tell that a lot of effort and love went into the cutscenes with many animations not featured in the rest of the game.

I also played the predecessor, Heart's Medicine: Season One, but that one is not worth your time or money. It is way too easy and the story is on regular casual games level.

Patrick Bregger (302548) on 12/31/2018 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm on a roll:

The Hex: I'm not sure how much I like this. The story became really cool in the end and I love self-referential games which include mini-games based on other genres. However, I'd prefer if the mechanics were actually fun... I know it is part of the narrative, but I'm pretty sure that the long section before the last section was meant to be good. Overall I think I enjoyed Evoland 2 more because the mechanics were more fun.

Delicious: Emily's New Beginning: Another time management game. I did not really care about the story (it's cute and good enough), but I'm addicted to the gameplay. Overall enjoyable.

Heart's Medicine: Hospital Heat: Yeah, I just had to play that one, too. Overall I think the predecessor was better because it had a more interesting story and in the end I was a bit sick of the gameplay. My main problem were the last ten levels: they feel tacked on, they had no relevance to the story and tiring gameplay.

Cavalary (11445) on 12/31/2018 9:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh yes, forgot to mention, on Dec 24 I finally finished Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Started a bit after midnight on Feb 22 2017... Review written too since it had just 2 here, submitted yesterday.

Despite generally liking the added races, units and skills, and also thinking the item forges can be a good thing overall, though the cost and build time of anything decent made me ignore them after the novelty wore off, I do still prefer Wizard's Throne. Heroes were way stronger, much more suited to be played as an RPG with an added strategy element instead of the other way around, use of some abilities, like breath attacks, wasn't limited, healing ability could be targeted outside combat too, the story was just forgettable instead of making a joke of itself constantly during scenarios, literally, always trying desperately to be funny though that doesn't fit the setting at all, I could play it normally and whenever, not getting increasingly choppy, then sometimes start just existing, and eventually refuse to start at all the longer time passed since last reboot (big issue for a computer that's on 24/7 and only gets rebooted when truly necessary, usually just for the monthly Win updates), and armies didn't automatically surrender if they seemed to have no chance in a straight fight, ignoring what magic and tactics could do or a harrassment strategy, among others.
Remains all right, and the potential for large battles, the fact that heroes are units like any others, not needing to hide behind others nor being required for other units to be able to move, and even just the number of races and creatures and abilities, may still make it stand out. But, of course, bar a handful of races, units and abilities, all of the positive traits apply to Wizard's Throne as well, and that doesn't have these negative changes.